Notices

Overindulging ... in work!

Old 09-09-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Overindulging ... in work!

Guys, I have a problem. I think I work too much, and I'm getting burnt out! I'm a contractor, and the company that I work for has loads of work. And since I am trying to save as much money as possible, I have been working a lot. My work is pretty demanding, and my head hurts at the end of the day!

I was working this much before I stopped drinking, but I think now that I have more energy to do other things, I don't want to work as much. I had planned on working really hard for two or three years and investing a bunch of money before taking a break, but I'm not sure if sacrificing the next three years to have extra money for retirement is worth it.

I don't know what to do. I'd like to work ten or twenty less hours a week, but that would be a sizeable amount of money. Honestly, I'm just tired and cranky and needed to vent! At least work gives me something to do (besides drink!), and I'm very thankful to have this job. Thanks for listening!
Old 09-09-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My theory on that is that to a certain extent, money is useless if you don't have time to spend it on things you enjoy. Certainly saving for retirement is a great idea, but to me life should be about balance. If the amount of time you are working is detrimental to other areas of your life, then you should certainly at least consider working less. Maybe talk with your supervisor and see what they have to say? They may think you WANT all the extra hours.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Scott - My supervisor would probably like it if I picked up all the work! But really, I do this to myself. I can work as much or as little as I like -- as a contractor, I'm only obligated to pick up two assignments a week. But I grew up really poor, so when I'm presented with the opportunity to make more money, I usually go for it.

The fact that I was fired last year also factors into it. I know why I was fired, and there's no danger of anything similar happening in my current job. But I still have this fear of being out of work and having no money, so it drives me to work more now while I have a job!

I do appreciate your advice, although I think my neuroses might make it impossible to take a break!
Old 09-09-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Inflagrante. My husband is doing similar now. He complains almost daily about it, when I say, enough is enough, time to find something local he says, but I only have to do this for 4.7 more years and we will have a very nice early retirement, can help the kids get homes, etc etc. We went into this as educated as we could, But saying and doing are 2 completely different things. He wanes/waxes on this. He is only home approx 2 weeks every 2-3 months. Currently in UAE. We also panicked a few years ago,and it sort of 'forced' our hands also, I understand making lifelong decisions based on money (usually the lack of). I say status quo, because making a decision now, might be bad. You are in new home and country, loads of adjustment. You sound super organized. My opinion: set a firm(95%) schedule for yourself. And ensure you do something for 1 hour a day you enjoy. Forget the 'diet' for now, since thats where you were aiming anyway. You've too much on plate to worry about making fresh veggies constantly. Maybe add that when you settle into routine. Your housekeeper cooks right? Take one thing out of your domain, let someone else to that. You stick to your plan and take care of yourself. IF you decide a change of action, plan it out very carefully. Always remember why you did what you did in the first place. Infl, you know I"m wordy, does this make sense? hope so.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Scott completely. Balance is the key for me in all aspects of my life. I hope that you can relax and believe that you will have enough money. To me, enjoying your day to day life is more important than making yourself unhappy for the next 2 or 3 years.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I became as addicted to work as I had been with other things.

Balance is definitely the key Inflagrante - all the money in the world won't help if your health fails, or worse...

D
Old 09-09-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

there has to be balance otherwise its unbalanced

good luck
Old 09-09-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
hopping for freedom

I became a workaholic in my last job too. I loved it with such passion that it was all I really cared about. I was away from my home 12 hours a day and many weekends. I was earning good money (for the first time) and it was piling up in the bank. My relationship was terrible because I was almost a stranger. I had no time or energy to go out or have fun. All the money I had could not buy me what I wanted - some time to chill out and enjoy my home and loved ones. I got burn out, saw it coming, knew I had gone too far to return. I had to leave my job on the brink of a breakdown. I was so happy at first to have all the time off. Now I have been broke for years with few prospects. Have to reinvent myself all over again. I really wish I had learned balance. If I hadn't pushed myself so hard I might not have hit the wall and crashed. I went from workaholic to workaphobic. LOL. Balance, balance.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You guys have all given me such good advice. Thank you so much! Alcohol has basically swallowed the past six years, and I really don't want to miss out on anymore of my life.

I've been in Mexico for almost four months, and really haven't gotten out to see any of it except for my own neighborhood. I think I need to change that! I've also been too busy to take Spanish language classes, which would make my time here so much more fulfilling. Now that I've been sober for almost a month (tomorrow's my 30 days!), I think I'm ready to get out and experience a little of what I've been missing!