Notices

Hello and it's Day 2 and everything's going worrying well...

Old 09-09-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello and it's Day 2 and everything's going worrying well...

Greetings all from England; first post and introducing myself.

40ish years old, been drinking pretty solidly for 20 years. Generally 1 x bottle of wine plus 1 or 2 beers with occasional weekend benders.Generally average around 100 units per week (guess that's 50-60 standard drinks in USA).

Anyway, have lurked on forums (for several years), bought books on AVRT, pissed around making quit plans and generally unsuccessful tapering plans and all the other displacement activities I could think of and yesterday I'd just friggin' had enough.

There's been a LOT of days when I felt like that - maybe the last 5 years really - and I missed yet another day from work. I couldn't be arsed to even phone my boss, I just texted him whilst slumped on the sofa.

So, here's the funny thing. I didn't drink last night.

I was dreading it, expecting a white knuckle nightmare, having to lock myself in the spare room or crawl under the duvet at 7.00pm and just tough it out.

But it wasn't like that at all.

I had a vague nagging emptiness for much of the night so went out for a drive for a few hours to combat that. Ate well, had a **** load of multi-vits and even managed some sleep.

Today I've felt fantastic. Really active day, productive at work and generally feeling 100x better than I have in years.

I'm now seriously shitting myself that some far far worse withdrawl symptoms are about to hit. It's 7.12pm UK time and my "witching hour" is usually around 7.30pm so reading the Sober Recovery forums for inspiration and generally crossing fingers!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Elider!!!!

You are in the right place. Glad you are here! I landed here 9 days ago while searching the app store.. It has really made the world of difference! We have a Sept class for those wishing to make Sept 14 the month!

Someday I will visit England!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's great that it went so well. Prepared yourself for what is to come but hey maybe nothing will come and you will not get any withdrawals. It's different for every person. We are here for support anytime you need it so if you have made the decision to quit drinking we are here behind you!!!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

love this post very pleased to meet you
Old 09-09-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I know that feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop whilst drying out.
I actually did hide in a closet one morning after the anxiety was so bad.
I drank a solid twenty years myself. Withdrawal was uncomfortable but manageable. Don't hesitate to seek medical help if things get bad.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, too.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Elidir & welcome to the family!!! Loads of help & support here... i couldn't have done it without SR & I have the willpower of a puppy sitting next to a rump steak!!!
Old 09-09-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, thanks for the welcome all. Tonight's not too bad; "manageable" is a good word Ghostlight1. Considerably worse than yesterday but was expecting that. Just been for a drive, killed some time, take my mind of alcohol. Now loafing on sofa - feeling a bit "empty" and fidgety with very mild jitters (a stack of coffee probably isn't helping) but nothing tooo stressy.