Notices

What the hell is wrong with me/you

Old 09-08-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What the hell is wrong with me/you

Its funny somebody I thought was a true friend asked me that tonight. It was a good guy, I thought, he couldn't except the fact that I heard things that didn't exist or that I was open about it.

You know what the hell I told when he asked me what the hell was wrong with? I told him " nothing is wrong with me" " I am who I am supposed to be" I blew his mind.

He went on to tell me I am crazy I say crazy things I do crazy things I am not stable. You know what I told, I told him " yes I am, tell me something I don't know" he then said whatever, " get help".

" Get help" well he will never read this, but *** you my friend. I am comfortable being little old me. Hell ya, I am addict I have serious mental issues and addiction issues, but I will never be anyone but me.

He heard schizophrenic and alcoholic and ran. I mean, why does he care, I am not hurting him nor have I ever hurt anyone. I am seeking help, I working on getting work, I am trying as hard as I can.

I can't lie non medicated it a scary place for me, I do things that are weird and out of sorts, I think people are going to get me, I talk to my voices, I hear **** that doesn't exist and always question what is real and what isn't but what business is that of my friend if he isn't supportive?

I am going to crawl on a limb and say, its not his business, I have real issue with people that judge, I am glad this community has never judged me no matter, but friends no matter what forget the world, don't listen just be you, you matter and a certifiably crazy guy ( me) says move on and up foget the hate. Good night friends!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

Psychiatric symptoms and syndromes, and the anticipation of recurring symptoms, are very frightening to those who suffer. You've mentioned before your struggles with panic attacks, a classic example of the repeated and ongoing experience of doom in advance of the attacks or symptoms related to intense anxiety.

Other people are also terrified by our psychiatric symptoms, and most are not equipped or sufficiently trained to witness them with grace. Their only recourse is to replace their fear with anger, invoke feigned indifference or to remove themselves from the presence of the person who frightens them. You're essentially criticizing this person for the same reasons that he was "criticizing" you.

We all suffer well-meaning but unhelpful people in life. It's unrealistic for us to expect that everyone can manage the things that we do to frighten them so much, no matter how unintentional. Were we to comment that "This is who I am," then we're providing yet more cause for both concern and mounting fear, if only because such an explanation strongly suggests that we either cannot or will not surrender our frightening symptoms.

Being proud of your progress, as I and so many others here so clearly are, is one thing; defining yourself by your reported psychopathology might not be your best option.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

TDG I grew up with a paranoid schizophrenic sister. She heard voices, she said people were conspiring against her - I know it is a brain chemistry imbalance. You need to take the meds no matter.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

People fear what they can't understand - I've had people react like my disability was contagious.

I'm near 50 now. way passed getting angry. It is what it is, and it's not a reflection on us, J - simply a reflection on them.

D
Old 09-09-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Jeremy my sister was diagnosed schizophrenic and I know I suffer mental illness

You got some stones saying what you said and I 10,000% agree with what D said

Love this post
Old 09-09-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What other people think of me is none of my business. Not sure where I heard that, it's not new, but I think it's a reasonable way to look at criticism. The older I get the less concerned I seem to be about such things.
People who spend their lives focused on what's wrong with everyone else aren't addressing their own issues. Their loss.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you TDG. It shows you are working for YOU! Rock on brother!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I told him " nothing is wrong with me" " I am who I am supposed to be" I blew his mind.
Love this!!! Best.Reply.EVER!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All I know are friends are hard to come by, with all their imperfections. Your actions hurt him enough for him to be frustrated by them. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, perhaps he just doesnt understand.

But I guess it means he must care or he wouldnt worry about what you do or dont do.

i'd say let the dust settle, sleep on it & see how you feel.

but don't write a friend off if the friendship is salvagable.

just my tuppence worth.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's shame that you were honest with your friend and got this response. I completely agree with NoJimmy.