Notices

3rd Time's The Charm

Old 09-08-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3rd Time's The Charm

Welp, I'm back again. Not just going to give sobriety a try this time, though. I'm vowing to never ever ever drink alcohol again. The last time I drank was on Saturday, so I'm now finishing up my 2nd day of sobriety.

Tomorrow I will start attending a recovery class at a local church. That and checking out this forum and watching a ton of alcohol recovery videos on YouTube is what I'm doing to stay motivated now.

The boredom still sucks. It's just 8pm and I'm laying down in bed. The worst time of the day for me, though, has passed. That's between about 4pm to 7pm. I would normally take my first drink at 4 when I get home from work and stop around 10:30 and 11.

But now I don't have to worry about going to work hung over! No more gum to mask (unsuccessfully) the previous night on my breath. No more waking up sweating and dying of thirst at 3am.

I loved to drink. I guess we all do/did. But I'm viewing the drink now like that beautiful woman who has AIDS. I'd love nothing more than to have her, but she'd end up killing me.

I wasn't a party or social drinker. I was a "home alone" drinker. To quote the TV show Rescue Me "drinking at home...alone. Just me and whatever bottle of booze I had and a head full of ****. Pretty much hoping to either figure it all out or fall asleep"

That's how I drank. And I never did "figure it all out". The only thing I figured out was that I was stuck in a continual groundhogs day. Each night the same as the other. I know I may be bored now without the booze but at least I got a fighting chance. That addictive bitch will no longer control me, rob me of my health and motivation, or stand between me and living a fulfilling life.

Ultimately it's me who brings the cup or bottle to my mouth. I control my actions. But I know I have to be vigilant and on guard at all times. No more delusions that I can have just one beer after a hard day at work. No more delusions about drying up for a few months then becoming a "normal" drinker.

This is it, I'm done. I'm severing all ties with alcohol...I'm moving on to the next chapter if my life.

The chapter that doesn't include ruined relationships, broken women, missing out of kids school functions.

Goodbye alcohol...what the hell did you ever do for me, anyway?
Old 09-08-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and best wishes to you. Strange analogy to the woman and AIDs, but cheers to you for your determination to change.

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Old 09-08-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision! You'll find life a lot easier when you don't have to hide your alcohol use with gum, eye drops, aspirin. . . .

You might want to check out the secular recovery section here on SR and read about AVRT. You can also google AVRT and watch they crash course. Many have found it useful.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the community! Our stories have lot in common, I too was a solitary drinker. Keep checking back and Let us know its going for you. Good luck, Eric
Old 09-08-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! Glad you're back and more determined than ever.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you welcome
Old 09-08-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
Congrats on your decision! You'll find life a lot easier when you don't have to hide your alcohol use with gum, eye drops, aspirin. . . .

You might want to check out the secular recovery section here on SR and read about AVRT. You can also google AVRT and watch they crash course. Many have found it useful.
Yeah, I've been reading tons about AVRT. Very helpful!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish you the best
Old 09-08-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stuck in a continuous groundhogs day, I never thought to put it that way but its true! I also numbed out at home alone...wash, rinse, repeat - wasn't it?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back jttexas. ...you can make it this time.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back JTexas

I hope you can make this time your time

D
Old 09-09-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!