Notices

AA info

Old 09-08-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA info

Iv'e noticed that a few of us around here want to go to a meting but really have no idea what to expect.. Could you please tell us what exactly goes on? Does everyone have to get up an intorduce themselves, tell every dumb thing they did when they were drunk? lol ok im joking but really what goes on? thanks!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My first meeting thought I walked into the wrong room. People were talking and laughing!

Typically, one person is a chairman for that meeting and picks a topic. Others freely comment/share or not - it's up to them.

There are some standard things read which will mean very little to you at first.
And some odd sayings that will be foreign.

You'll find a common thread with everyone - a problem with drinking in an alcoholic manner.

" the only requirement for AA is a desire to stop drinking".
Some meetings are open others closed. Open meetings may have attendance of folks who are just there for support of others. Closed meetings are for alcoholics.

Your attendance signifies nothing - unless you want it to. You may sit quietly and listen or speak if your heart wants you to.

Hopefully like me you'll find a path and a program to work that is simple but profound.
There is a fellowship of diverse people that might never comingle if it wasn't for a common problem.

Hope you have a great experience

" keep coming back, it works if you work it !"

Peace
Old 09-08-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

This link is a good introduction. Your First AA Meeting<
Old 09-08-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No one has to do anything in AA
They do ask for newcomers to introduce themselves
But one needs not do that if they don't want to

I'm amazed by how many seem to be
Wiped by the liquid devil
And say that they will do anything so as to stop
Yet won't go to a simple little AA meeting
Remember folks
There are ones there just like us
Alcoholic who wish to recover
MM
Old 09-08-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks! I joined a group at church yesterday. Indtroduced myself and told a little bit of my story. That was huge for me! I will go to a AA though.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been before, but struggling to take the AA 1st step now. It's been a few years since I last spent anytime fully sober. I know I have nothing to worry about, The fear of not going is a worse outcome.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
This link is a good introduction. Your First AA Meeting<

Wow - this is a terrific link with many other sub links. Have this bookmarked!
Thanks awuh1
Old 09-08-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There are different types of meetings: open or closed, discussion, speaker, 12 step meetings. If you look up your local meetings on the website, it will say what kind of meetings they are.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

hi Alynn! glad you're going to check out AA, i think you'll find a lot of the same support and encouragement that you find here at SR!

there are different types of meetings, i like to switch it up, but it is the same at all as far as what you do. you can just listen and absorb or speak a little or do deep sharing. it is all up to you.

i have found women's meetings very insightful. imho i have found when it is all women the sharing is more extensive and very personally powerful.

let us know how it goes! please. love to hear a fresh take on AA.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

As others have said, there are many different types of meetings.

At my fellowship we have:
- Speaker meetings (on fridays we give out Chips)
- Big Book study meetings
- Men's meetings (usually with a speaker)
- Women's meetings
- Daily Reflection discussion meetings
- Magic Basket topic meetings

The meeting starts with AA anouncements followed by a moment of silence (for you to do with as you wish) followed by the Serenity Prayer. The secretary then reads the Preamble, a member reads How It Works and another member reads the 12 Traditions. The meeting is then turned over to the speaker or chair person (as we call it) who tells their story. If it is a Daily Reflection meeting, a member reads the message for the day. In Big Book study meetings, we read from the book with members reading a few paragraphs and then passing to other members. In the Magic Basket meeting, the basket is passed around the room and each members pulls a slip of paper with a topic on it.

When the speaker, or Daily Reflection or the reading from the Big Book is finished the meeting is opened to discussion and whoever wants to share will introduce themselves and speak. It is not necessary for everyone to speak but listening to each persons share is very beneficial.

At the end of each meeting, a member reads the Promises (from the Big Book), then everyone stands in a circle and holds hands. The secretary will pick someone to 'take us out' and we usually say the Serenity Prayer again.

I'd like to suggest that you attend a chip meeting. The positive energy and support for each person that reaches a milestone and gets a chip is very uplifting. Don't forget to get your chip, even if it is a 24 hr chip, it is a very good reminder that you can carry with you wherever you go. I never leave home w/o mine!

I know you will meet people with the same goal you have.... to stay sober!

Good Luck!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all. So the one I'm looking at attending weds is open discussion. What exactly does that mean. Sorry this is all new to me.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

That just means there is not a speaker or topic and everyone gets to share what they wish.