My dad fell- again

Old 09-08-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My dad fell- again

He doesn't get hurt so there is no hospital visit leading to an admission which is both a blessing and a curse. I know that all of you understand what I mean by that.

We live together for now but I've graduated with my second degree and need to get a job in that field and move out of his house! I do worry that he will really get hurt but I need to get on with my life!! If I am on my own again, I think that it will be easier to get him to sell his house which he is destroying by lack of basic repairs since my mom died.

I've dabbled in Al-Anon but never seriously worked a program or found a sponsor. I know that I need to do this!!

Those of you with elderly alcoholic parents: how did you get them to sell their house? Where did they go? How did it work out for everyone?

THANKS!

PS- He's in his early 70's.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The only thing that led my alcoholic dad to leave his home was at 80 years old he took his rifle and threatened to kill my mom and then got in the car went around threatening others. He was thrown in the dry tank, charged and offered a 90 day AA treatment lock up at the Vets admin Hospital. He choose the treatment and it worked amazingly, at 80! He then went back to my mom and they lived there for 4 more years until he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and went back into the Vets Hospital. I'm sure he would have stayed at home if he hadn't gotten ill.

It's pretty difficult to get them to move without some official interference.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Can't help on the house thing. AM's house went up for auction last month and she was given the boot a few days ago.

Pretty much, unless he's declared mentally incompetent, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Find a job, move out, make a life free from this mess. And find an Al-Anon group.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You must move on with your life. My mom fell the other day and she had a black eye and a big old gash by her eye. It seems to have scared her a little, but I have let go of my attachment to her getting better. It is so futile. Go to Alanon and read a lot here. It will help you to feel better about moving on with your life.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You cant force him to move and he may not have the financial ability to move into assisted living or what have you. Those places cost a fortune.
You can call your state or county department on aging. There are a lot of free and low cost programs out there. Like visiting social workers, transportation, meals on wheels. Please contact them. They are a huge help
Old 09-10-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a big fan of meals on wheels. It brings regular people checking on your dad as they deliver food. I used to help deliver and I got 1000% more out of it than those I "helped."