Notices

Worried about my new job a little especially panic attacks

Old 09-08-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about my new job a little especially panic attacks

So today, I got the blow by blow on my new job. It a huge sandwich making warehouse, they make thousands of sandwiches a night. Its going to be overnight, they said bring a sweater or coat its going to be frigid.

I am still having quite a bit of anxiety, so I am trying to think of ways to not have a panic attack there. Its going to be fast paced, and they said if you stop the line too many times they will fire you. That stresses me out a little.

I am sober just over two weeks again, and haven't smoked in 6 days. I am so looking forward to getting out and enjoying people and company again. Tonight I am going to stay up as late as I can, and then try to day sleep tomorrow for preparation for a grave shift.

One thing that was wonderful news today, is this sandwhich making plant needs lots of people, they have a high turnover, so when my wife went in with me today they offered her a job too. So she will be with me, and we will have double pay. I am just worried I am going to freak out on the job, and lose 2 jobs in one.

Thinking of coping strategies for anxiety tonight any ideas would help, good day friends, hope everyone is having a good sober journey today.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Jeremy I know you need the money but your making progress if this is too soon you must weigh this up

If anything does go wrong will you be ok

Only you know the answer to this
Old 09-08-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tdg, great job on getting the job! I am sure you will adjust in time. Just keep putting your best foot forward.I'm currently looking for work myself, and havent had too much experience in much. Line work is fast paced Ive heard, but once you get the pace, im sure it will become much easier. Good luck to you and your wife.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been nervous before every new job.
I hope all goes well Jeremy

D
Old 09-08-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've never worked a job, that hasn't had a grace period, in other words time to get to grips with the task and role at hand, there will be loads of people who know what they're doing, the experienced old guard, stick close to them and pick up the ropes, these people in companies are invaluable, and in my experience they also want to show and share that experience with the new starts!!

I'd also take heart from the desperation of the business to hang on to employees, this shows they'll not be sacking people too soon, if they are crying out for people to work there!!

You can do this Jeremy, go for it!!
Old 09-08-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A positive attitude and good work ethic will likely get you through any leraning period.

Best of luck
Old 09-08-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tdg, you only lose of you dont try. Its a job, and im in a financial bind bad myself. Just dont let it overwhelm you. You can do it, if you dont like it, or it stresses you out too much, theres always something else, right? Hey, too bad im not in reno, looking for work myself. Best of luck. About the anxiety, normal to be feeling that way. It will pass once you get the routine down. Dont sweat it.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have the Nike attitude "just do it"!!! Everything has been going better so that momentum can keep going. It is completely normal to be nervous, you will be until you learn the ropes. This is positive, don't psych yourself out! You are going to be great!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

You've got this!! It's the fear itself that you are afraid of. You're sober and you're going to do fantastic. Believe in yourself! We all believe in you. Pretty soon you'll be running that place!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeremy, a new job is always scary. Good for you for getting out there and finding a job.

I hope that switching night/day will go smoothly for you.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The reason why things will be okay is because you aren't drinking. If you get a little anxious, that is ok because it is normal....new job and early sobriety...totally normal stuff. I say the Serenity Prayer....A LOT! I say it when things are getting a little squirrely or wonky in my world. I also say it at night to help me fall asleep.

You go this!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nice work, on your sobriety, you getting a job, and your wife too! It's ok and good to be nervous at first. You care. Don't be overwhelmed, just follow the directions. It will be ok at work and you can totally do it! You are doing so well.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Practice deep and steady mindful breathing - it takes practice to get the feel of it - start with 3 or 5 slow deep breaths. Ensure you fill your lungs right down to the bottom. This is a really good thing for halting anxiety in its tracks and can be done at any time that you need to do it. But you must practice - 10 or 20 or more times a day.

I have a feeling that you and your wife will rock these new jobs
Old 09-08-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't you worry, TDG! You give it your best shot, and listen to others tips, and ask for help if you have to. If its not for you, then you will find something else! who knows, it may be sort of fun, and you will get to know some nice people who will like you. you are likeable!

and as mentioned above...Breathe!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Made sound flippant, but maybe treat it as a new adventure! I have done many things in my life and most I look back at fondly. Did line work in a large hospital kitchen with trays coming by conveyer belt. Had to read a menu of sorts to determine what was to go on each tray -options.

Look at how far you've come in a few weeks. Think of the possibilities this position may open for you down the road. Team work, detail oriented etc.

Have fun with it man!!!
Heck, it's only life - make it an adventure!

Peace!
I'll take mine with lite mayo and Swiss
Old 09-08-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just try not to worry! Let your default position be that you will succeed, not fail. It won't be rocket science, you can do this!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

when on a production line they tend to put you in the non-critical bits first .

Try not to "over think" there is a magic in the being and doing of life , certainly for me thinking again and again , obsessing over what might happen got me into a lot of emotional distress . Acceptance and having the faith to trust to life and the world for better or worse, is one of my strongest tools ,

Keep on , m