Notices

Normal drinkers....

Old 09-08-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers....

Good evening guys,

Just a thought,

Today, Monday, is the day that I would normally go to my local pub and have a beer with my mates,

Of course I didn't go, but it got me thinking what would normal people drink if they were to go to the pub this evening?

Actually thinking about it I wouldn't think that there were many normal people in my local pub tonight, but as a general rule how much do normal folk tend to drink?

Bruno.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

does it really matter Bruno?

in all honesty - I really try to not think about this kind of stuff. It does me no good to worry or ponder other peoples drinking.
Just my 2 cents
Old 09-08-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's all pretty relative, even alcoholics drink varying quantities of alcohol, but they all still have a problem!!
Old 09-08-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

No idea, never comingled with the amateurs!

Today I focus on how much poison I will not choose to pour down my gullet!

peace to you my friend
Old 09-08-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For many of us it's not the amount we drink it's the way we drink.

I know many a co-worker who will go out and have 10 pints. The difference is that when they get home by themselves they stop, I'd carry on for a good few days until I made myself completely ill. Which is why 1 drink is far too much for me.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would think probably 2-3 beers or 1-2 glasses of wine. Problem for me, even if I had a few I would think of nothing else until bedtime. How can I continue to drink, or it sucks that I have to stop.

It feels free to not be in the grips of this disease.

I think it's ok to ask these questions by the way. I don't think there are rules and we should be able to post our thoughts and feelings.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I've never seen someone in a pub have 1 and go

Never !

A lot of the world is alcoholic
Old 09-08-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No Sober. They're not.

You just hang/hung around the ones that were (and btw- most folks at the pub drinking that night? Almost certainly are not alcoholics).

I never blame, or get angry at others drinking around me. This is MY problem, and MY issue, period.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Not sure, but for many 1 is too many and 10 are not enough.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know what is normal but when out with friends I would be able to tell you exactly who had had what, how much and used to get annoyed when people would leave half drinks etc.

I am sure they were not that interested in what I had in front of me....
Old 09-08-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ha! LOL!
Old 09-08-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ~Lia~ View Post

I think it's ok to ask these questions by the way. I don't think there are rules and we should be able to post our thoughts and feelings.
of course it is and nobody said otherwise.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

I have no idea what a normal drinker drinks,I give it no thought at all.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

To be honest I don't know anyone in my current social circle who'd be at the pub on a Monday night so maybe your mates may not be that 'normal' anyway?

D
Old 09-08-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is one of those questions I have never been able to answer. I am not normal. A lot of people who others might call normal are not normal, in my estimation. I really believe that a majority of the people who drink have issues with it to some extent. The only true "norms" I have seen are the ones who can pour a drink, have a few sips and forget about it. Heck, I don't even drink water that way.
Beth
Old 09-08-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For a long time I didn't even realise there was such a beast as a normal drinker. I sort of assumed if you had a glass in your hand you were chasing the same dragon as me and everyone else. Why else would you drink.

My wife would have a glass of wine occasionally after work or out for dinner and I considered her a non drinker, because she never got drunk. Thought she was just being polite.

Ha! blinkers are off now
Old 09-08-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Hobbers View Post
No Sober. They're not.

You just hang/hung around the ones that were (and btw- most folks at the pub drinking that night? Almost certainly are not alcoholics).

I never blame, or get angry at others drinking around me. This is MY problem, and MY issue, period.
Hobbers I didn't hang with them ones in a pub im talking from boy to man I've never seen it I talk with experience

Im not blaming nothing like that I'm not actually bothered by it

Most folks drinking in the pub at night most prob do so on a regular basis I know every pub has a lot of regulars

Hobbers I get what you mean but you will start to see patterns I've seen them my entire life I know what I have seen and I've seen quite a bit I've seen how it happens

I Don't mean anything by it I'm not trying to argue

Youl see it
Old 09-08-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
misanthrope

Hi Bruno,
I think that normal people drink very little. They might have a couple of drinks with dinner when they are at the pub, or when they are over at a friends house. In general normal drinkers spend very little time actually drinking, thinking about drinking, or planning on drinking in the future. It just does not occupy any space in their minds like it does for us.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
To be honest I don't know anyone in my current social circle who'd be at the pub on a Monday night so maybe your mates may not be that 'normal' anyway?

D
I have to agree. I walked by a pub here (there's an Irish/English Pub in every town, apparently) and saw some pretty pathetic looking tourists drinking their Monday afternoon away. Instead of being out in the colorful, beautiful central highland plateau of Guatemala, they have planted their fat behinds on a bar stool in a pub with no windows. That's insanity, plain and simple.

I've observed a lot of my old mate's drinking behaviors since I quit - from a distance. Some of them clearly have issues. One of those people just got a divorce, so life isn't going that well for her. Coincidence? Probably. But those who are out drinking their Monday night away at a pub or bar? That's not the kind of "normal" we should aspire to, alcoholics or not.

As for what others have said, I try and stay away from wondering too much about who/what/how much is going on at the bars and pubs. Today I worked 8 hours. Then I went to a coffee shop and sat with my cup of coffee right on the windowsill and then bought some extra bags to ship to my friends and family. Then to the bakery, then home to my terrace. That's my life. Screw the pub.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

2 or 3 or 4 and when they finished, they'd leave and think.......about the car and their next day and the bills and the radio and the weather, and what the hell is that squeaking noise, I have to get that checked........and not......."you know I could hit that place near home and throw back a couple/three more before I head in", and then smile inside knowing they were definitely going to stop in...........