Notices

Thinking about AA but.....

Old 09-08-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thinking about AA but.....

I'm basically worried that somebody from AA will recognise me on the street when I'm with somebody I don't want to know I have a problem?

Am I being silly? Or is the confidentiality thing taken very seriously?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Actually you will find strength when you see another AA member out in public. . .at least I do. It is like a god-sent reminder. I've never had my anonymity broken. And if I'm asked how I know that person, I say we've had coffee together . . .bc in AA, there is always coffee. LOL! When someone who isn't in the KNOW about me asks where I'm going or where I was when I was at a meeting, I just say I was having coffee with friends.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

In my experience the anonymity is taken seriously. I have run into a few people from meetings while out in public. We don't talk about alcoholism outside the meetings.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The anonymity thing is taken very seriously! I work in the mall downtown in my city, and I pass by fellow AA-ers once in a while, and they always just give a smile/nod. It's like being in a secret club It's pretty cool. Everyone understands that we have friends/family/acquaintances that do not know about our alcoholism/addiction/AA attendence and it's totally respected. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THAT! You have nothing to lose!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I frequently see people I know from meetings. Even if I am alone, we don't discuss AA, we simply greet each other and move on. If I happen to be with someone else I would never mention where I knew that person from, and I am sure they would treat my anonymity with the same respect.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
I'm basically worried that somebody from AA will recognise me on the street when I'm with somebody I don't want to know I have a problem?

Am I being silly? Or is the confidentiality thing taken very seriously?
Yes, it's taken very seriously. It's not something you should concern yourself about.

Think of it this way - most likely people already know you are a drunk. Even if someone found out you were in AA meetings, wouldn't you rather be known as a recovering alcoholic than a practicing one?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I agree with other posts......I do run into other members and typically just a smile/nod. Of course unless we both choose to engage.

I will share this with you that was part of my deal.....
When I expressed to my wife I was thinking of going to AA, but concerned everyone would know I had a problem she chuckled.

Honey, they already know......
Also, my sponsor said something to me I will never forget = when we admit we are an alcoholic, it becomes unanimous!

Now at 92 days, I could care less who knows.

Good luck to you, you'll find your way if you have the willingness my friend!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I second what the others said. I run into people from AA all the time and we just smile or say hi and that's it. One of my home group members work in my favorite store...when I go we just chat about what s new in the store or the weather.
Don't let your AV induced fears stop you from going
Old 09-08-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you do whatever it takes to stay sober.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In my experience people find out about people in AA because the person in question has broken his/her own confidentiality by telling a non AA member friend or loved one they are attending...and THAT person has not respected AA confidentiality because THEY are not in AA. AA members typically keep themselves shut bout OTHER people..not so much themselves.

Basically in my experience, it's been my own mouth that has gotten me into trouble.
Not unlike life really.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

If your unsure

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 09-08-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just a nod and a smile when I see AA people around town. The secret club thing is spot on.

I also used to panic about people from work seeing me leave or enter lunchtime meetings which are nearby. But then I figure most of my colleagues have seen me puke on my shoes in the pub and fall over drunk, so being seen leaving a church is actually no biggie.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This sounds like a good meeting topic to have from time to time to remind people how gossiping can be detrimental to one's sobriety and not keeping things in the meetings.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AA member

In my local city,anonymity is taken very seriously.If I meet someone out and I am alone and they are,I will speak.If either of us is with someone else I totally ignore them.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I live in a small town. nobody's ever compromised my confidentiality regarding the program.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I got sober, I was worried to death about someone finding out. I went to AA and met some wonderful people. They truly are the cream of the crop. No one will "out" you. And, as you will see as you go on your journey, there comes a point when you don't care - when you accept who you are and realize that alcohol does not define you.
Hugs and best of luck.
Grat
Old 09-08-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

On the flip side, what if you don't go to AA and then relapse because you don't have support?
Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I didn't go to local meetings.....I live in a suburb of a big town, I just looked for ones a few towns away........I STILL cringed every time the door opened, my first look around etc., but never saw anyone remotely familiar.....
Old 09-08-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's kinda funny how we struggle with the idea that someone may find out we are taking positive steps in our lives to become better people....

Yet we're perfectly OK with going out and getting loaded and acting like bloody idiots in front of anyone and everyone at the bars, parties, social gatherings, etc.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I run into people from AA a lot. I find it uplifting to see people about on their business and know that I'm not alone. Usually we exchange a smile or a hello. Sometimes I stop to chat. It really depends on the circumstances. And the one time I was asked how I knew someone the other person piped up that we had met through work. Which was technically true. Early in sobriety I found it helpful knowing that someone who worked in my local grocery store was there on days I went shopping because it was a deterrent to putting wine in my cart on days I was struggling.

You may have to curb your own inclination to talk about people you have met or seen at meetings. Even in AA meetings I've found that if someone mentions someone else who is also in AA but who isn't at that particular meeting, they aren't mentioned by name.

If I run into a new person that I know at a meeting I will tell them that I would not tell anyone I saw them at the meeting and that what is said in the meeting stays in the meeting. Good luck.