Notices

So I dont think It will work...

Old 09-07-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I dont think It will work...

Hi all,

So I read the Rational Recovery book and I just don't think it will work. REALLY?!? The only person I am accountable to is "ME"!?! Haha. Really? That's hilarious? No support??? RR is even against SR!

Talk about the blind leading the blind!

Has anyone else had success with RR??? It's basically just quitting on our own. If we can quit on our own...then were we really alcoholics in the first place?

Confused....

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 09-07-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Some people can do the RR and stay stopped.

Others use other methods. Many methods are available today.

Staying stopped is a goal and can be reached!

Accept this and move on to what works for YOU.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Many people have been able to quit on their own, without being involved in any support group. Maybe they had friends or family to support them. Maybe they depended on their religious beliefs, I don't know.
IMO; every support group seems to think they have the answer, except for SR that talks about many ways to get and stay sober. I really don't care if RR does not like SR, or if AA does not like either. I'll leave it to people that like to debate stuff like that. For me, I'm too busy putting a program together that includes several support systems that works for me.
And yes, I am only accountable to me, because if I don't see it that way, everything and everybody around me will pay the price, and I have no doubt that I'm an alcoholic.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wish you the best in your recovery.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

RR has a lot of good ideas on handling AV, which is important!!

I'm a believer in taking bits and pieces from everything that is out there, at the end of the day the goal is to be Sober, so having as many tools in the toolbox as possible for the job at hand will get us across the line!!

But there are other options out there, find something that works for you!!
Old 09-07-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post

Has anyone else had success with RR??? It's basically just quitting on our own. If we can quit on our own...then were we really alcoholics in the first place?

Confused....

I think if someone did do it on their own, completely on their own, then they wouldn't be here to post about it!

I don't really have any experience with RR, but for me, the idea of abolishing the "addictive voice" by developing a greater awareness of my inner thought process is a lot more appealing than giving myself up to a higher power. One -- for want of a better word -- is rational to me, and the other isn't. I also don't believe that alcoholism is a disease, so I guess a lot of my own beliefs align with RR. I think a lot of people who don't feel that they align with the tenets of AA might find something useful in RR.

No one process is going to work for everyone, and if it helps people find their way to a better life, then it's a good thing.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I think the number is around 60%. The number of people that quit with no assistance. They just quit. If you're here, you're in the 40% and had better take any idea of help you can get.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Personally, I am only accountable to myself. I get and stay sober for me, nobody else. It is my business and mine alone. If I want to drink, I will and I will not feel any guilt towards anyone but myself.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Serenidad, the reason why there are so many different approaches available is that no one way will fit everyone.

I've seen people get sober through AA, RR, Lifering, SMART, Women for Sobriety, and other programmes.

I've seen people get sober using SR.

I hope you'll keep looking for your way

D
Old 09-07-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I could say I just quit on my own then.
But I spend a lot of time on SR. So I suppose that's my support group.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

I couldn't stay sober in 3 months of attendance of AA

I left AA and got sober completely on my own I found SR at just under 13 months (400 days)

I met a man at 5 months his story was near exact except No AA

I asked how he done it he said he overheard a discussion about him and he has never picked up a drink since

This was meant to be a quick 5 min visit to sign a boiler off

We were talking for a hour and a half

He was definatly alcoholic he told me so !
Old 09-07-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I doubt many know what works and does not work in the early days. The point is to try them and see what you like and what you don't like. RR did not work for me in its entirety, but I was able to take parts of it that were useful.

I built my program around AA's 12 steps. But that is not to say that it is better or worse than any other program, it was just my course. I actually find I do better with cognitive behavioral therapy - go figure? I don't believe AA is responsible for my quit. It was a support medium just like SR. I was done and would have found a way it just so happened AA met most of the boxes I needed to move forward.

It sounds like you are looking for an excuse to keep active.

Take action and begin, you can always change course I have done so several times.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

The truth is nothing will work if you really don't want to stop. I believe when your ready you can stop numerous different ways...

As for RR working there a quite a few members with good sobriety who have done so using that programme..

Good luck in whatever you choose...
Old 09-07-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post

I'm a believer in taking bits and pieces from everything that is out there, at the end of the day the goal is to be Sober, so having as many tools in the toolbox as possible for the job at hand will get us across the line!!

Me too PK. I know I need LOTS of tools...the more the better lol. And yes, I agree the AV concept is a winner for me too. I actually used it in conversation with a fellow AA homegroup member and I guess I might as well as had had two heads. I realized my error..and well, shut up for the peace of us both.

I love the sober connections of my AA homegroup..but I need the AV concept and SR!!!
Old 09-07-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

As most people know I am a big time AA supporter but RR was very helpful in early sobriety. The basic concept is great you just have to strip out all negativity and rhetoric. The beast exists.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think the aspect from rational recovery that i liked was recognizing the addiction voice. When i have a craving i always think of the av, then realize i really dont need a drink. Course im only 2 weeks sober. But i am really recognizing it when it happens.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thx everyone. I'm just really confused on what will help me. I just don't want to drink anymore.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Thx everyone. I'm just really confused on what will help me. I just don't want to drink anymore.

Serenidad I suggest you focus on the fact that you don't want to drink anymore, don't focus on the support method you might use. Try getting out a pen and paper and list the things you need to do so that you don't drink. Note that I said things you need to do, this was a big help to me in the beginning.

I used to drink in the evenings while watching TV so some of my earliest steps were:
1) stop buying wine and find a soft drink I really enjoy
2) put the wine glasses out of sight
3) change the chair I sit in and only watch something I really want to watch and so on.

This might sound ridiculously simple but it's those everyday actions that we need to change. When you've got some actions in place the support method will help you further.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post

I agree with Purpleknight 100%. RR, for me, is another tool.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I’m also an AA advocate as it was the only show in town when I finally plugged the jug, years before the internet.
My concern with any of the programs is that people are involved who have so many thoughts and emotions involved.
To me the concern is a solid recovery base of a lifetime, not just for the short term. I think most programs will work IF we work them continually but with human minds that seems to be where the problem is. For instance I need to hear and see the eyes of the newcomer and offer help, this is a great remember when for me because like others I forget pain so I keep coming.

BE WELL