Notices

Encouragement

Old 09-07-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Encouragement

Hey everyone. I just thought I would share an experience I had today:

Madison, Wisconsin, hosts the Ironman competition on this weekend every year and I just love to go out and cheer those amazing athletes on. I am far from athletic, but the dedication those people put into reaching their goal is awe-inspiring to me and I like to offer them a little encouragement when I can. For those who are not familiar with Ironman, it is a daylong race starting with a 2.4 mile open-water swim, followed by a 112-mile bike course, and ending with a 26.2-mile run. Obviously, one does not just sign up to do it and then just show up on race day. There is a ton of training, both mental and physical, that goes into competing.

Anyway, there I was with my kids, cheering on the bicyclists, marveling at all the different body types and the looks on their faces. I like to stand at the top of a tough hill in order to congratulate them on reaching the top.

I was so moved by a woman who reached the top of the hill walking her bike. When she reached the top, pouring sweat, she gave a growl, laughed, shook her head, and got back on the bike. Off she pedaled. The crowd went nuts for her, and I had tears in my eyes.

I thought about all of us and how our journey is similar to hers: she probably didn't plan to walk her bike up that hill, but that's what it took for her to keep going. She didn't say, "Forget it, I had to walk my bike up the hill. I guess I am not a good bicyclist." She got back on that bike and kept pedaling.

Guys, some days are going to seem like a big hill and the only thing we have to ride is a unicycle. Do the best you can to get to the top of the hill. Do whatever it takes. Walk your bike.

Then get back on that bike and keep pedaling.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post!! Very inspirational!!
Old 09-07-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Grace ! Inspiring stuff, great to see you here, as you know Ive fallen off my bike many times but Im back on it pedalling away in the quest for permanent sobriety, I'll be 3weeks in 2hrs and its been the toughest yet but not giving up. x
Old 09-07-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

RIGHT ON!!!

Old 09-07-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love this post. Thank you
Old 09-07-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Love this post
Old 09-07-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)