Notices

My Main Priority, Sobriety

Old 09-07-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Main Priority, Sobriety

Seems like I would always try to stop drinking, overeating, give up caffeine, sugar, etc. all at once. That never worked very well, for me. I have come to believe trying to work on too many issues at once was a form of self-sabotage. Finally, I decided to work on one thing at a time. Sobriety, not picking up the alcohol became my main priority. Some day I may work on other issues or I won't, but, for myself the main priority is not picking up the first drink. If I were to drink again, the nightmare would begin. I wouldn't care what I ate or anything, because of the misery alcohol causes in my life. I intend to remain alcohol free on a daily basis, that is what works best for me. It is still the most important thing I do each day.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YES YES YES!
That's what I did for years. The only important thing was to NOT take the first drink. After that, I learned some things about myself and my life and then I was able to start working on other things. You've got the right idea!!!!!
Grat
Old 09-07-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello Bloss ,
Taking life one day at a time is good for me . Not drinking is my top priority when i wake up in the morning ..
I'm far less of an all or nothing kinda person these days , i prioritise things and i let them slip according to priority should the need be there , except for the "pad-stone" which is sobriety .

If i'm to build anything in life it seems i need to have firm foundations from which to work from . Sobriety is the most fundamental of these foundations .

Bestwishes, m
Old 09-07-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Slow and steady wins the race. You didn't start drinking, eating sugar, and drinking caffeine like a fiend all at once. Focus on one, and as you see the benefits of eliminating/ cutting down, you may find that you crave the others less. I find that I need less coffee as my mornings are no longer sleep deprived. (I refuse to give up coffee though..that first cup is like nectar from the Gods....)

Self Sabotage I think is a thread that is very common amongst alcoholics. I mean, why else would we poison ourselves daily?

Good luck on your journey
Old 09-07-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hey bloss
good thing to just pick one and focus on that for awhile, everything else will follow in due time. I think we are all familiar with self sabotage, masters of it.
I'd like to see my caffeine consumption go down too (as I drink my 2nd cup already!) but one thing at a time. The wine is my main concern, just stay away from that...I'll deal with the other crap once I feel a better handle on the main culprit
baby steps.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

I agree completely. Great post!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Read the January 6th reading in the 24 hours a day book. Search SR or Google it. Likely the most profound thing ever said about sobriety
Old 09-07-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great way forward, all those other things can be sorted out later, like healthy eating, exercise, caffeine etc

But all those things won't matter if it's alcohol that continues to damage your health!!

Small steps, Rome wasn't built in a day!!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

EXACTLY my approach this time too. I was just thinking about this yesterday. The other way was complete self-sabotage on my part. Maybe that's another reason this time has been easier.

The Jan 6th reading MIR referenced above:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ought-day.html
Old 09-07-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree. Recovery really is about progress. Things will fall into place for you.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

great post Bloss - good to see you

D