Notices

Back again .... which comes first depression or alcohol???

Old 09-06-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again .... which comes first depression or alcohol???

Hello everyone I havnt be on here for awhile...time to reach out and get support again..... I so really know that alcohol feeds depression .... so why do I turn to alcohol to make me feel better...knowing full well after that first buzz I am just going to feel even more depressed??? I am also starting to really doubt my own self worth (sounds awfully like self pity doesnt it )
Im feeling awfully alone at them moment....cant really talk to to many people
because they have their own issues. So Im fully reaching out to you guys who can all relate so well. I do hope you in all your own lives are having a good day today and I look forward to interacting with you all..... Julie
Old 09-06-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Julie, as you know, booze is an addiction so with the best will in the world it can get us and manipulate us.

Lots of help and advice here for you, night and day, that's what I love about this site, always someone around even if you don't want to partake but glean the wonderful words of wisdom.

I can't tell you how many times I've copied and pasted paragraphs from here to my memo pad on my iPad, I don't read them much but it's like now I copied them, they stick in my head somehow.

You've seen the saying about the good wolf and bad wolf, Mamahawk has it on her signature, think they are fighting? But the gist is, which one wins, the one we feed. Sorry, I've not explained it very well. But if we give in to alcohol, it wraps itself around us like a snake and doesn't let go.
Have you had a trip to the docs he may be able to help with your depression?
Old 09-06-2014, 11:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have anxiety and alcohol made it worse in the last year of my drinking. This site has really helped me to stay sober for three weeks, but I have had high anxiety this weekend and I fear eventually wanting to drink again to stop it. I just have to remind myself that poison is no cure at all. Not really in a position to give advice, I just thought I'd say hello.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh Julie,
I am right there with you. It's a chicken and egg thing. I am trying to make it through today so I can let the alcohol release its grasp on me and let some good receptors back in. When I am sober, I work out and that makes me feel good. All in all, alcohol is a life sucker. It gives you the few seconds of happiness in return for destroying your body and outlook.
Grat
Old 09-07-2014, 12:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags for your support .... Im feeling ready to try and help myself more now .... and I will certainly do as you say and visit this site constantly. Yes I Have been to the Drs many times.. Am on antidepressents which of course do not work as effectively when mixed with alcohol.... I do feel that talking on hear will get me through slowly but surely .... if I can work through the hours without having a drink, then I know my depression will start to lift.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Ceedaily, yes thats what I have to remind myself .... why pour poison down my
throught !! Really hope your anxiety is easing, that must be so hard for you, it certainly wont help by having more poison ....
Old 09-07-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are so right grat...... and push through the day today and I will as well and we will both feel so much better when we wake up Monday morning !!!!
Old 09-07-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Julie - we are in the same time zone - I'm on Okinawa That will be good if we need support!
x
Old 09-07-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Julie ,
depression was a stalking all the time i was drinking .. The improvement was gradual after giving up , maybe as much as 6 moths for my brain chemistry to sort itself out but it got better .

When i signed up with depression years ago i took the pills i went to the councillor but nothing much changed , i now believe it was the alcohol that kept me "stuck" rather than dealing with emotions , bearing them until they resolve , alcohol gave me a "fast forwards" button rather than dealing with stuff .

It might be difficult, it might be painful at times but sobriety is worth it

keep on

Bestwishes, m
Old 09-07-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fantastic Grat ... so how has your day being going today?
Old 09-07-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Everything you say M is true .... I did actually stop drinking for 12 months .... but what I didnt do in that 12 months was actually address the issues I needed to face .... so gradually started to drink again to cope.....and now of course feel so much worse...this time around I want the poison out of my system AND to deal with everything that I need to .... and of course they are so much worse now ...... so its time to stop sliding ....and time to start climbing back up... Jx
Old 09-07-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What started as a minor insecurity before alcohol, became depression caused by alcohol. Peer pressure to addiction, where addiction seriously warps the mind, and blinds the user to its effects.

For me it was alcohol creating depression.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Did your depression lift as your alcohol intake reduced UnixBer ?
Old 09-07-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Personally as soon as I stopped taking Alcohol, my mood improved. I still feel down once in a while but I think that's just called living life on it's terms. There are bad days and good days, when I drank all days were 2 hours of fake fun followed by impending doom feelings.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Julie

When i was drinking loads of episodes of depression and toward the end, suicidal thoughts daily.

Alcohol is a very effective depressant of the central nervous system so i shouldn't be surprised.

Since stopping, lots of strange thoughts ad feelings in the early stages often PAWS related.

Can honestly say that i suffer from the odd low mood, just like most of us do, but nothing like the darkness and bleakness of my drinking days.

I wish you well.

Given a chance, in my experience, it gets very much better.

G
Old 09-07-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UnixBer View Post
What started as a minor insecurity before alcohol, became depression caused by alcohol. Peer pressure to addiction, where addiction seriously warps the mind, and blinds the user to its effects.

For me it was alcohol creating depression.
I relate to this for sure. I started in the habit of having a drink just to "take the edge off" when I was feeling what you might call mild social anxiety. Fast forward 10 years... now that I'm getting alcohol out of the picture, it suddenly becomes clear how much it was exacerbating negative emotions. A lot of self-criticism and unpleasant feelings seem to be lifting now that I'm getting out of that haze. I think I was really unaware how much of my unhappiness was actually just the alcohol- as you said- warping the mind.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much afloatsober and N3p ... it is fantastic hearing from people who totally understand ..after coming back to SR today I am already feeling better about myself..... I will make sure I keep reading and posting ... it is so very helpful AND I wont be waking up with a hangover tomorrow ...
Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

hello and welcome back
I was sober a few years ago for a good period of time myself...I *thought* I had dealt with my issues of depression in counselling...I was feeling pretty good, or so I thought. So, I started drinking here and there....binges....and 5 years later ended right back where I was. I'm back in counselling now...turns out there were a few skeletons still lurking and hiding in the closet. I'm almost 4 months sober now and finally facing all the crap.
It can be done, it ain't easy, but it is worth it
Old 09-07-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

George Bernard Shaw: "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance."

I've learned myself that pushing things down, ignoring them, or pretending things are okay does NOT make everything alright. Things that dirty our souls (that sounds a little but overdramatic, doesn't it?), creep up in tiny ways and add to the unmanageability of our lives.

Unfortunately, most of us have grown up in a world where being an alcoholic is more acceptable than going to a professional to tend to our mental health. That being said, anyone on this site can likely attest to the fact that there is no glamour in putting a bottle to your lips vs. talking it out with a trained professional.

I was shocked when I started seeing a counsellor. Rounding my late 30s, I actually had to put into words for the first time in my life certain things. I laid in bed for about a week and bawled my eyes out because I actually had to face that those things happened to ME. It was numbing and incapacitating, worse than any drunk I've had. and then you know what? The dead horse I've been dragging around my entire life started to go away. It was like a fog and weight had been lifted from my entire being. I started to but the truth back in my own life, and the results have been so worth it.

Counseling is hard. Some days I've felt physically beat up coming home, but the difference is this: I'm not carrying it by myself anymore. And I can't explain what that does to feel that relief.

Don't be shamed or ashamed for having depression. Don't numb yourself with the booze, hoping it will go away, because it won't. The booze makes it worse, but you can heal what's going on underneath.

As long as you are on this site, you don't have to go through any of it alone.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

When I started drinking when I was much younger, one of my "reasons" to do it so much was because I thought I was depressed. I used that excuse for many years of daily drinking while my depression (and now anxiety) got much worse.

What I learned from all of this was a new perspective on depression. By drinking every single day I learned how bad depression can actually get when booze is poured over the top.

What I thought was bad depression before I began drinking was NOTHING compared to 10+ year, want-to-die, daily drinking depression. So many people (doctors, family, therapy) told me the alcohol was making it worse and I chose to ignore them.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that the alcohol did not do anything to help my situation. It did exactly what everyone said it would do and by ignoring it I caused myself a lot of extra pain.