Notices

Drinkers bloating....

Old 09-06-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinkers bloating....

Hi again,

Strange question I know,

Does anybody know what actually causes this?

How long did it take for yours to go when you'd stopped drinking and do you look and feel "less bloated".

Thanks again,

Bruno.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I know that bloated feeling. I think it's from fluid retention. Mine went away in...maybe two weeks.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Physically I progressively got better. Everyones situation is different - get checked out medically if you are worried. I used to worry about so much- that diminishes when I got sober as well
Old 09-06-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Fluid retention as alcohol is diuretic the body sucks up and holds as much water as possible from other organs even the brain as it never knows when the next binge/drink will be.

Also alcohol irritates and inflames the lining of the stomach so the next day your stomach may feel extra bloated etc.. Hope that helps
Old 09-06-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mine went away in about 3 days. I'm a runner, so I made sure to go out during peak heat and go as long as I could to sweat. I also drank tons of water, at least 3x times what I normally would.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

After a few weeks I noticed a difference, like most things time will do the trick!!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my feet are so swollen right now... hopefully it goes away soon. may go get it checked out
Old 09-06-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A couple of weeks.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mine went down in a month or so...in 7 months of sobriety I've lost 30lbs as well. That is from being sober, giving up soda and eating better. Good luck Bruno!
Old 09-07-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was so puffy and bloated I couldn't bend my fingers. I also had a sweaty sheen all the time and if I did anything physical I would sweat like crazy. It took about a month to see any real difference. Now after 10 months people I haven't seen for ages say I look younger. I am sure you will notice a big difference soon
Old 09-07-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies,

I've been drinking a he'll of a lot of Diet Coke recently. I guessing that this is no good for us either?
Old 09-07-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's better than booze but probably not the best choice. In saying that, I have had an appalling diet of junk food and sugary drinks and still managed to lose the bloat- anything for me is better than drinking it was killing me
Old 09-07-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alynn View Post
my feet are so swollen right now... hopefully it goes away soon. may go get it checked out
I twisted my ankle & it took ages for the swelling to go down.

Compression (like a compression sock) & elevation is the only way to do it.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bruno1979 View Post
Thanks for the replies,

I've been drinking a he'll of a lot of Diet Coke recently. I guessing that this is no good for us either?

just drink water. Fizzy drinks including diet ones are full of so much c.r.a.p.

drink water. flavoured if necessary.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If the swelling is severe, you should be assessed by a physician. Alcohol is very hard on liver, kidneys, and heart, all which play a huge part in fluid balance.

In addition, alcohol can really mess up your electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium, etc.), which also play a huge role in fluid balance. Your body needs these things for nerve impulses that regulate everything from movement to your heart beat. The problem with electrolyte imbalance is it's important to know which ones you're low in, as supplementing the wrong one can be dangerous.

If you can press your fingers into your ankles and leave indents that stay more than a few seconds, you need to see a doctor as soon as possible (non emergent, but urgent).
Old 09-07-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mangoes View Post
If the swelling is severe, you should be assessed by a physician. Alcohol is very hard on liver, kidneys, and heart, all which play a huge part in fluid balance.

In addition, alcohol can really mess up your electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium, etc.), which also play a huge role in fluid balance. Your body needs these things for nerve impulses that regulate everything from movement to your heart beat. The problem with electrolyte imbalance is it's important to know which ones you're low in, as supplementing the wrong one can be dangerous.

If you can press your fingers into your ankles and leave indents that stay more than a few seconds, you need to see a doctor as soon as possible (non emergent, but urgent).
great advice. I got a CBC when I stopped (complete blood count) drinking. I told my Dr. why I was pushing for a full physical. I was lucky, I wasn't depleted of anything. I don't know how considering the abuse I had done, but hey! I'll take it.
the indent test is a quick and easy way to give you an idea of retention happening. Never hurts to see the Dr. though, especially when we've been putting our bodies through hell and back.
hope you feel better soon

ps - drop the pop get some good flavoured water
Old 09-07-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I looked like a sweaty red balloon everyday when I drank every night. Part of it was the 1500-2000 calories a day which made me an obese cow.