Notices

Wieght loss and fitness....

Old 09-06-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Wieght loss and fitness....

When I was 16-18 I played professional football for a league 2 club.. I was extremely fit and healthy... I have had periods since where even drinking i have lost wieght etc but it has always pilled back on and some more to add.

Just would like to hear of any wieght loss and fitness results since being sober, I know it's the not the main objective but it's a damn good positive of sobriety...

Hope everyone is well. Peace
Old 09-06-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lionhearted, there is a Fitness Forum on here. Lots of people getting fit. I've lost a lot of weight and a TON of bloat but I haven't started with a program yet. I need to but the kids just started back at school which I suppose is an excuse but I've just had a ton to do.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lion. For me the endorphin rush from exercise was the best prescription I could ever have. Knowing I was doing something good for me was great, but the mind shift was the best thing. I do cross fit and walk. Plus I hike and scuba dive, so am pretty active.

As far as weight loss, I haven't lost weight but I haven't gained either. My goal right now isn't weight at all. It is to be as healthy and strong in all areas of my life. Getting my fitness on, though, changed my mental fitness as well as my physical fitness.

BTW - prior to my short lived drinking career I was a marathoner. Age prevents me from running like that now, but I do occasionally walk races. But I only do fun races. Getting competitive isn't healthy for me, so I stay away from those type of races now-a-days.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I've been on a diet for ages now and boy has it paid off everyone says it

I've always been quite muscular and big frame but by being sober eating the right foods on a diet, loosing weight constantly, working out

Lionhearted your going to become a high powered upgraded version of yourself through sobriety it takes work but if you go at it properly youl see the results

I am now stronger than I've ever been
Old 09-06-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am now stronger than I've ever been
You rock, Soberwolf!!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Lionhearted your going to become a high powered upgraded version of yourself through sobriety it takes work but if you go at it properly youl see the results I am now stronger than I've ever been
I like that idea lion 2.0 lol...
Old 09-06-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Lion I'm not joking but I easily lift 125kg

I didn't realise I could do that till I done in some people I was with couldn't believe it tbh neither could I but I was doing it and here's the kicker I could most proberly lift more I didn't that day

Lion 2.0 is on the horizon !!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have lost 20 lbs since I quit. I attribute a lot of it to the lack of alcohol and some to more activity and watching what I eat. Sobriety was still the major component.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

I've lost over 20 Kg's in just under 2 years. Running, eating healthy and generally being more active. I didn't get sober so I could get in shape, but it sure is a nice side benefit. It didn't happen overnight, slowly, a Kg here and there. In fact I probably packed on a few pounds in the weeks and months of early sobriety.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've always maintained a work out routine & healthy diet, minus the alcohol of course. I've changed nothing other than eliminating drinking and some healthy snacks with my wine. Tomorrow is 8 weeks and I'm down 18lbs. Talk about empty calories! I'm going to have to add calories as I don't want to lose my assets. Lol
Old 09-06-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Hey!!!

I've definitely lost weight. Still need to lose more but I'm on my way!

I'm only on day 43 sober, but I feel so much healthier than I did drinking. Six days into sobriety, I completely changed my diet to healthy foods and a lot of protein and some healthy fats. I now do cardio 7x a week for an hour and lift about 5x a week. I've lost 17 lb so far since August 1st. :-)

Definitely due to a complete lifestyle change! No more alcohol calories and drunk eating. It's been great!!
Old 09-06-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Which club did you play for mate?
Old 09-06-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Originally Posted by Bruno1979 View Post
Which club did you play for mate?
Just pm you mate.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

alcohol is not a performance enhancing drug

take it out of the equation and there is a different result
Old 09-06-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I started running and weightlifting in 2011. I ran some 5Ks and 8Ks. My deadlift was around 185 lbs And I was a newb. I also got to where I could do one full chin-up and I could do a plank for over 5 minutes. I dropped a pants size.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I tend to be slender by nature. When I was drinking, I looked more muscular. But in retrospect I think that was just water retention. Towards the end, my liver started to fail and I stopped eating. My weight dropped dramatically. Once I quit, I put some more mass on. But now that I'm detoxed, my weight is down again. I'm thin, but I don't look ill like I did. Alcohol isn't good for athletic performance. Once you get it out of your system, you'll be shocked at how much better your performance is. I worked out throughout my drinking, so my body was used to working with poison.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Fitness has been one of my main hobbies since being sober (ten years). That is why I am so mad that I started drinking again. I used to look forward to every morning for a workout and now I am fearing mornings. I want my life back so I can have my fitness back too.
Grat
Old 09-06-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Weight dropped off after quitting simply by not drinking, but then I needed to add in increased exercise, things have improved from there!!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good for you, Lionhearted!

When I first got sober, the pounds seemed to disappear. (Doggone lots of calories in wine.) Then my body kind of reset its metabolism and I had to work hard at it.

Three suggestions:

1. Mayo Clinic Diet -- total common sense and practical for everyday living.
2. A combo of aerobic exercise and light weights. (I'm female ... not interested in bodybuilding, per se.) I work out 4-5 times weekly.
3. Use an online/smart phone tool to monitor caloric intake and exercise. I use loseit dot com. It's great.

Lots of wonderful things can happen when we stop drinking. I'm much more slender and want to keep going until I reach my goal. You can do it too!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
When I was 16-18 I played professional football for a league 2 club.. I was extremely fit and healthy... I have had periods since where even drinking i have lost wieght etc but it has always pilled back on and some more to add.

Just would like to hear of any wieght loss and fitness results since being sober, I know it's the not the main objective but it's a damn good positive of sobriety...

Hope everyone is well. Peace
Hi there,

I stopped drinking for a month back in 2012 (before my problems really got a hold of me)
In that month I went from 57 kg max round this period down to a low of 46.1kg

I stopped drinking for good last saturday
I was at a height of 53kg around this period.... i weighed myself yesterday morning and was 48.9kg

I don't exercise
I eat what i like which tends to be rich, carb heavy french/italian cooking
i have a sedentary lifestyle

hope this helps x