Notices

Too much too bare

Old 09-05-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Too much too bare

Tonight I got the news that my 18 year old nephew is on coke. It's not enough that his uncle was murdered in a bad drug deal or that his aunt is an alcoholic or that his cousin is addicted to heroine. Wow. These addictions are no joke.

It makes me want to drink my pain away. Sometimes reality is to much to bare.

Today's hard.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry waterfalls...but stop for a minute and think...how much of a positive role model could you be for your nephew?

You could really show him the way here, man

D
Old 09-05-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Waterfalls, I am so sorry to hear about your nephew. You seem like you are in a bad place. I can relate, but don't focus so much on your newphew as you. Make you the first priority, drinking isn't going to make you feel better, or change the situation with your newphew.

Hang in there friend, life does have more to offer, but we have to face it sober first and foremost, we are all we have as individuals, good luck, good night and I hope it all works out for you.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry waterfalls...but stop for a minute and think...how much of a positive role model could you be for your nephew?

You could really show him the way here, man

D
I agree. Try and focus on being strong for his parents too - they must be going through hell right now
You can do this
Old 09-06-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Sorry but the logic is a bit off. I'm thinking about drinking because the people I am close to are alcoholic or addicts. Do you wish to join them while they destroy their lives?

If you drink what makes you any different than them?
Old 09-06-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I ended up crying myself to sleep. But I didn't drink. You're right, that won't solve the problem.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is helpful to sever the mental link between "geez I got bad news" and "it's time to drink!", if at all possible. There's no reason the former should lead to the latter. It's really just an artifact of the drinking mentality, where everything -- bad news, good news, no news at all -- got linked to the impulse of, "it's time to drink!" through frequent and consistent repetition.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Name, I agree. I'm really working hard on changing my thinking. I think my reaction last night was a success.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi waterfalls maybe have a word with him and talk addiction with him

Hope it goes well and you done great by posting about it
Old 09-06-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Be strong, Waterfalls. You can be the light that these people need to see. They will want what you have.

I lost my sister to this disease. Did that stop me from drinking??? "That won't happen to me. I'm stronger. I'm smarter." WRONG!!! Yeah, it soooo coulda been me and it will be if I pick up again. I won't allow myself to wallow in that mess any longer.

I'm so glad you made it through the shock of the news safely. Praying for you and your family, friend.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Living Life on Life's Terms

Living life on life's terms sucks. Life has a way of punching holes in my soul, and some of them are devastating. I try to take control and fix things, and when that doesn't work out, I get so overwhelmed my 'automatic' response is to do something that will help manage the overwhelming condition that is beating me up. My 'automatic' response is to drink, because I am an alcoholic.

This cycle continued to the gates of insanity, uncontrollable addiction, and almost to death. Through the program of AA, working the Steps of AA, and following the suggestions of my Sponsor, I was able to completely surrender myself to the understanding that I could not be in control of everything. The set of Spiritual principals and the resulting Spiritual condition, allowed me to be able to turn these things over to the 'Higher Power' I discovered, which to me is the God that revealed himself to me. I still get frustrated at the things in life that undermine everything I hope for and believe in, but I pray about them, I do what I can realistically do to be the best service I can be in the situation, and as difficult as it is, I then have to turn it over to God. Anything else, and like it or not for me, I WILL END UP DRUNK, and then be of NO GOOD to myself or anybody.

God Bless You Waterfalls, and I have already prayed for your nephew. My prayer cannot change him, only God, and your nephew's realization and willingness.

RDBplus3
Old 09-06-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree that drinking is not going to be a great way of supporting the family, a Sober and present you will do a much better job!!

Hang in there!!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I'm in tears over the kind words to me and my family.

I have the best support system anyone could ask for. I'm one lucky gal
Old 09-06-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done!!