Notices

Chugging on autopilot

Old 09-05-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chugging on autopilot

I'm having a quiet night in while my girlfriend is out at a concert. The mood is successfully set: sweatpants on, soft lighting, scrolling through SR, a hot mug of black chai, very calm, right? Then in the middle of reading a post I realize: I'm chugging my chai! Drinking it down in large gulps, just like it was malt liquor, any time for savoring and appreciating it be damned. I looked down at my mug, nearly all gone already.

I've probably been doing it for ages and haven't noticed till now. To think that this is how my body reacts to drinking any liquid now is saddening. This happen to anyone else? When does chugging end?
Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ya I guess I can releate. I used to chug things before my husband could catch me, pathetic I know... moving on lol heres to sipping!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

If I'm thirsty I will drink a whole glass of fruit juice no problem if I'm that thirsty

But if I'm not thirsty I drink juice normally
Old 09-05-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think in time you'll stop doing that. I don't chug anything anymore, unless I'm really thirsty

D
Old 09-05-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi DoubleFelix,

Excellent description of your Friday night setting Anything semisweet and lukewarm and I tend to chug...especially if I am hungry. Hot tea I will sip because I really, really do not like burning my tongue. And I intentionally use a straw to drink water from a giant reusable super-sipper cup throughout the day to stay uber-hydrated. Drinking with a straw allows me to drink so much more at such a faster pace with minimal exertion (think super-sipper, chaise lounge, palm fronds and bon-bons).

See! I've contemplated my general drinking habits as well. Especially when it comes to temperature - I have big teeth (think Mr. Ed) that are sensitive (from being older, aka 'long in the tooth', and brushing too hard - don't worry you young thing getting older is great). I would bet that if you first drink a super-sipper of water, have some food in your system, and then sit back and relax with your mug of chai...chances are that you will not mindlessly chug like malt liquor.

Honestly DoubleFelix, your post sounds like a mindfulness exercise in action. Now just try to notice your scenario, sweatpants and all, beverage in hand and then let the thoughts and emotions go without judgement. It's OK if chugging is saddening. You are in the moment. Bravo

All right, I've thoroughly dissected this scenario and it is time for me to move on. Enjoy your quiet Friday evening DoubleFelix!

Old 09-06-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still top up my green tea like crazy throughout the evenings, I invested in a teapot so I don't have to keep getting up!!

But things have gotten slower as time has gone on!!
Old 09-06-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Noticed the same thing too.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am an addict at heart I do everything is excess. Two days ago I had 4 pots of coffee gulping them down like no tomorrow. I suppose chugging liquids and stuff probably linger for awhile, but I am still doing it! Congrats on your sobriety though, good job.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do this too...out at restaurant's I pound back iced teas on autopilot...at least the refills are free now!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sure feels good to know we're not alone, even with these little things.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I'm out with people that are drinking I slam water all night, because still anxious about social events without beer
Old 09-06-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
pray for strength

DoubleF, your Thread reminded me of a story:

Not too long ago I spent a few weeks in a country/area of the world that does not 'do' to-go cups or travel mugs. This was something I had not anticipated and so needed to plan my morning so I could get adequately caffeinated before I left for the day. This was a little tricky as I always have both coffee and my water super-sipper when I head out. The first morning, I felt a bit denuded.

As a joke, a friend (and local to the area) offered to lend me her daughter's baby bottles. And then we discussed this idea of travel cups. Morning on the street in the US one can find a sea of adults with their to-go cups and travel mugs. Given a little thought...it does look a bit like a sea of giant babies holding onto their bottles?? Just a thought.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i tend to chug my drinks as well. i have a sober alcoholic friend who does the same. she was visiting a friend's family and the mother noticed her odd drinking habit and exclaimed, "it's not a race!!" lol.