Notices

Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi.
I hope I can find some older friends my age here. I am 50 years old and attempting to get sober after all these years of drinking. I'm scared, remorseful and ashamed of the life I have lived up till now. Is it possible to truly get past all the shame and regrets?
Old 09-05-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sadiejo and welcome to SR!

I'm sure you will meet lots of people your age here! The thing to remember is that most of us are in the same boat regardless of how old we are.

This is a great place for support, and the guilt/ shame will fade over time.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you'll have no trouble at all finding a bunch of grand dames and old sages here to support ya!
Old 09-05-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sure you will find people near your age here. Most importantly, you will find a community of people of all ages, ethnicities, genders, religions, etc. that share a common thread: our powerlessness with substances, our desire to heal, and a commitment to help each other.

Welcome.

One of the most important things this addiction has taught me is this : forgiveness. Forgiveness to myself forgiveness to others.

Forgiveness does not mean forgetting, or a free ticket. , it means letting something negative so that it does not impact or control the future. You have control over your future in a positive way, if you take the challenge and improve yourself. You can't change the past. You can only be better NOW, and strive to be better each day in the now, which is your future.

It's possible to turn your life around. This site is filled with examples. It's never too soon or too late.m

Good luck to you.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! You're not alone at all. I'm a female much older than you. Waking up in the morning with no remorse, shame and guilt is a great start. When I have non productive thoughts I never dwell on them. Those are past. Put them in little clouds and let them float away.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well I'm 40 so kind of near your age lol! Welcome and hope you will stick around
Old 09-05-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sadie

I was 40 but I'd become the neighbourhood drunk kinda guy - ragged clothes, wild hair...a little stinky....

If I can recover my reputation from that, anyone can

It's never ever too late to write a new ending to you're story...happily ever after has a nice ring to it,. yeah?

D
Old 09-05-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, sadiejo You've come to a really supportive site

I got sober at the age of 52. I'm 54 now and have never felt so free nor had such high self-esteem. Of course I've done many things that I regret but I know that I cannot change them. I can only make amends by being the best (sober) person I can be. It's taken time, but I have learned to be kind and compassionate to myself and to treat myself the way I treat others.

It's never too late, sadiejo, to be the person you want to be. Sobriety can take you to places you can't begin to imagine now, but you've already taken that first step. It's so worth it. I promise you xxx
Old 09-05-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

im 53 and ive just started... we can do it this looks like a great place to get help/advice/support
Old 09-05-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello !
Old 09-05-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome sadiejo!

I will be 50 in December and I am now on day 10 of my sobriety. I understand your feelings of guilt and shame and have to struggle with that also.

It does get better and everyone here, regardless of age, has been a huge support.

The things we did in the past we cannot change. So let them go and be happy!

Glad you found SR!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Sadie - welcome to a great place. We all understand how you feel.

I was older too when I decided it was quit or die. Yes, you can (and must) get past the regret and remorse. It's ok to remember where you've been, but don't dwell on things you can never change. What matters is the wonderful new life you have in front of you. Congratulations on making this life changing decision. You can do it.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Sadiejo,

I am 40 but most of my good friends, including recovering addicts and alcoholics, are around 50 and above. Please never feel age is holding you back in our era, why should it, really?
Old 09-05-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm over 10 months sober which started just prior to turning 48. It is completely possible to find peace of mind and become proud of who you are again. There are still plenty of life struggles during sobriety, but I am 100% solid and reliable to the people who matter to me, that to me is a world of difference. It's never to late for a better life
Old 09-05-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, Sadie, it is possible and we're here to support you.

You must forgive yourself. That doesn't mean forgetting what you did or minimizing it, but it means allowing yourself to move on.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

welcome, you are in good company here. I waited until almost 55 to turn my life around.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey there!! I'm also 50 and am pretty new at this too. 50 is not old!! I'm that age and I'm not old, so that is impossible. I've met people who are 23 and old, so banish that thought.

I have recently had an epiphany - I started drinking pretty heavily at 25, so I've been at this for half my life. I plan on spending the next 25 years sober and healthy
Old 09-05-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 09-05-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luper View Post
Welcome sadiejo! I will be 50 in December and I am now on day 10 of my sobriety. I understand your feelings of guilt and shame and have to struggle with that also. It does get better and everyone here, regardless of age, has been a huge support. The things we did in the past we cannot change. So let them go and be happy! Glad you found SR!
What day in December? I turn 50 on the 29th
Old 09-05-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

49 here. Nice to meet you!