Notices

PAWS- 2 years?!

Old 09-05-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS- 2 years?!

After tossing and turning most if the night I decided to get out of bed and do a little research on insomnia and recovery. I'm at 3 weeks now, not very long but an accomplishment compared to my last attempts at sobriety. I came across the Wikipedia page on PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) and boy am I feeling scared. Can it really take 2 years to get your body/mind functioning "normally" after abstaining from alcohol? Can I expect my symptoms (depression, anxiety, insomnia) to worsen before getting better? Any advise on how to approach this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

I think we tend a little bit on SR to act as if PAWS were the one medical diagnosis we were entitled to make. As I understand it, it is a syndrome of mostly psychological ailments, not all of which may be present in any given sufferer. Its duration varies by drug, use history, and individual. And its origins are unclear -- the psychological problems may be underlying the addiction and previously masked or exacerbated by the addiction, or they may be addiction-induced.

In any case, at 3 weeks, you shouldn't and don't have to project into the future. I believe most people who find themselves having the symptoms you describe after they quit drugs/alcohol find that the symptoms are mostly relieved in a few months. In my case, they were not and I sought professional help.

That's what I would advise anyone else -- if the negative psychological symptoms aren't better in 3-6 months and especially if you fear they will jeopardise your sobriety, seek professional help to cope with the symptoms, and do it before you relapse.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can understand it may seem disheartening that recovery may take some time. No two people seem to be the same, so I would say just focus on what you can to equip yourself with tools for keeping the AV at bay and exploring why you drank in the first place.

I got a little discouraged when I'd read about PAWS too. I often think in the beginning, we want a quick fix to everything, just like alcohol gave us!

Time starts to feel different and measured by much more positive things as we grow our sober muscles. If PAWS does come along at some point, you will have more tools and resolve to deal with it then anyway.

For now, you have your first round healing to focus on. Be gentle on yourself. And please don't worry about things that may not even happen!
Old 09-05-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me I had a lot of Paws type stuff and I think my system was rebooting or something, memory loss was concerning. But I did choose to drink for 20 years.

However, as soon as I got sober there was good stuff happening too so it wasn't like Oh no I have to put up with bad stuff for 18 months then after 18 months and one day I will be normal again.

I Immediately had things like cleared up depression, healthy body, better sleep, better relationships, increased work performance, no hangovers, the list goes on.

Go get help if you need it, everyone is diffferent. But better to do it now than keep kicking that can down the road.

Good luck...
Old 09-05-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

It's not continual. Supposedly 25% of people don't even get it. I had a really bad episode of it at 4 months. the 30, 60, and 90 ones that people can get I didn't even notice. The 6 and 9 months ones were bad but not like that 4 month one. The year one was kind of just forgetful and low mood. It's nothing to be worried about if it does happen because it is normal healing. It is still a lot better than waking up with a hangover. It is nice to know when these symptoms hit that it is temporary and it can also lead a person to relapse. Heads up this might happen to you that's all I take from it.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm too early in to 'give a diagnosis', but too often, I read people trying to 'diagnose' something as complex, non-specific, and 'fuzzy' as PAWS, and (to me) far too often, it reads as an excuse for 'having a bad day/not feeling generally good/thinking about drinking'.

Sorry, but too often, it reads like a cop-out, an excuse, or a way of saying 'no idea why you don't feel amazing today- it must be your alcoholism'.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

PAWs isn't something everyone gets, to the level of negatively affecting your life, it's a diagnosed condition after the initial withdrawal period, it can happen anytime from months to years afterwards, so if things get very rough then seek a Dr opinion!!

In the here and now concentrate on adding to your Sober time and take things from there!!
Old 09-05-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks All. I'm having a lot of overwhelming emotions right now and tend to think the worst about, well...everything. I have to concentrate on staying sober for today and not worry about what may happen tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Don't like all these labels I try to live my life to the best of my abilities I put the effort in every time

It normally works

But we still can't be happy all the time
Old 09-05-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovered

My sponsor says by 5 years sober I will get my marbles back. By 10 years clean I will know how to play with them. (I'm 5 years sober from the drink/needle and she is a crackhead with 20+ years sober).

It just *is*. It's life on life's terms. When I feel this way, I try not ruminate about things and go try to be of service to my fellows. So far, every time, it has passed.

I never had a pink cloud or "paws", but I certainly had ups, downs, and in-betweens.