Notices

I'm new here and looking for support

Old 07-21-2004, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Headed in the right direction.

I'm new here and looking for support

Hi,
I've had trouble with alcohol for at least the last 5 years. It has interfered with work and friendships.

The last straw was last weekend when I came home from a baby shower drunk and I have no memory of doing the very scary thing of telling my husband that our 18 month old should play in the kiddie pool. I was in no shape or form to supervise that activity and I figured I'd better get help before I hurt someone (or myself).

I'm sworn off all alcohol. Not even one drink is OK. I've made silly rules before, like promising myself I'd only have one drink, or promising myself I'd have only one drink but buy a coke (drink) before having another drink...none of that works out and I feel menatally and physically like crap after drinking.

I even noticed that I get a mini hangover as soon as the first drink starts to wear off...which prompts the second drink in order to avoid feeling the first drink wearing off. I don't know if anyone else notices that feeling, but I thought I'd share. I'm sober for good. Drinks can do me no good, only harm.
Thanks for listening / reading.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
knucklehead

carriesue, i took my daughter to the play ground tonight we walked. well she got to ride in her stroller when she wanted too. my daughter is 2.5 she is so beautiful. i was thinking to myself during our walk that it was not long ago when i would take her for a walk and i would drink a lot of alcohol during our walks. man i am so glad i dont do that any more. i admit i was very irrresponsible then. i dont drink any more. i havnt had a hangover since may 22, 2004. i am learning to live my own live and do what ever i want to do without alcohol. i used to get so inibriated sometimes i was just dangeruos. my judgement was way affected. then the hangovers i had to endure day after day. well not any more. life is getting so much better now that i have stopped drinking. i have found great strength with this idea, today i have free choice i can choose to drink or i can choose to abstain. it is that easy.

Last edited by kckman; 07-21-2004 at 09:57 PM. Reason: ooops x2
Old 07-22-2004, 12:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

CarrieSueBee Welcome to SR. Hi I'm Deg, and I've got a history with alcohol too. You know you've made the right decision. You will need to focus on the future now though. Stick at this and you really won't recognise the 'old' you at all in a few months.

You've made a commitment to stop drinking. If you're going to make it you'll need to plan very carefully where you go from here. You'll need tools at your disposal to help you, and all manner of tricks to stop you picking up where you left off.

It's up to you to make these plans, but you'll find loads of help, advice, and support here - and all you need to do is ask.

Come back and tell us how you are.

Deg.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Carriesue, all alcholics with children have put them in danger. I'd stop to get wine on the way to dropping my son at school and start drinking with my two children in the car. I can't live in the past and you shouldn't either. The difference in yourself and the way the children are with you will be worth everything. I now have a brilliant relationship with both my kids. I've been sober 9 months, it's not always easy but keep it up and see the difference in a short time

goodluck Hiney
Old 07-22-2004, 01:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi Carrie (& Hiney)

JC here - welcome to you.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
spirit

hi carrie

welcome - you have found a good place

it is scary what we do drunk and what we do to our children, other peoples children.

but as the others said, remember the past but focus and look to the future, it can and will happen when you keep looking and keep moving forward.

hugs to you
kath
Old 07-22-2004, 05:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by CarrieSueBee
I even noticed that I get a mini hangover as soon as the first drink starts to wear off...which prompts the second drink in order to avoid feeling the first drink wearing off. I don't know if anyone else notices that feeling, but I thought I'd share. I'm sober for good. Drinks can do me no good, only harm.
Thanks for listening / reading.
Hi Carrie, and welcome to SoberRecovery.
Towards the end, I was in perpetual drinking and drugging mode, so I never noticed the mini hangovers you describe, but I remember the feeling you're talking about. When alcohol prevents us of doing a simple thing like looking after our children, it's time to address the problem yes?
I intend on remaining sober for the rest of my life.
But I can only focus on today you know.
Glad you're here
Old 07-22-2004, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still hangin` on...

Welcome Carrie!
That sure is a scarey thought isnt it! During my use of drugs and alcohol I was not the mother that I wanted to be. Well....still not there but working on it. I used to think that as long as I was home that was ok. And when I got clean I thought that I would be this perfect mother. So not true.
I highly suggest you take it one step further and get some help. If detox is not an option then AA is a great place to start. I know that when I first realized that I was out of control I had every intention on stopping--but I only WANTED to get clean. I just couldnt. I didnt know how. Only when I went away to detox/rehab is when I realized just how sick I really am. This is a process. Keep coming back and posting. Great support here.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Welcome Carrie!!! Glad you are here..........

((((((((((((Welcoming Hugs))))))))))))))))
Old 07-22-2004, 06:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Oh, man, Carrie....me, too! I took so many chances with my daughter that I would NEVER consider doing sober. I'm this super overprotective worrywort mom-type and I routinely stress at the thought of my precious baby even falling down and scraping her KNEE, but yeah....I'll strap her into her carseat so I can drive drunk to the store to get more beer. Or leave her alone while she is swimming in favor of going into the house to get myself another round. Or ignore her while she's taking a bath because I want to sit outside and smoke while I'm drinking my beer. Stupid, stupid, stupid things to do....she is the best thing that ever happened to me! Why????

Anyway...WELCOME! I love fellow alkie mommies, lol; I feel an instant connection .
Old 07-22-2004, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Carrie, Yup I can really relate. The swearing off alcohol. The deals I used to make with myself. The 1 drink then 1 water then 1 drink thing.....been there. I can even relate to the mini-hangover you mentioned. I would get them If I came home from a party, or dinner when there wasn't too much heavy drinking - maybe 2-3 for me. The buzz would start to wear off, I would start to feel like crap, so I would need another drink. I finally have been puting together some good sobriety since geting involved in AA. It works, if your honest, open minded, and willing to go to any length. Thanks for sharing here today!
Old 07-22-2004, 08:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for all the support and the recognition. I really appreciate how brave and honest everyone here is. This IS a one day at a time situation but also a long term plan of how to cope with the old social situations (dinners, BBQ's, girls night out..etc). I am already telling each of my friends, one at a time - in individual ways so each understands my stance - of my decision not to drink anymore. I have received lots of support.
I know I have a different body chemestry than lots of other people. It is only a little different than someone that eats shellfish and their throat closes off. For me alcohol is life threatening. Plenty of people swear off shelfish, plenty of people swear off alcohol too, successfully. One thing I have going for me is fearce determination and strong motivation. This feels like a very empowered group.
More power to us all tonight and tomorrow, one day at a time. I feel the strength coming from you all and it is an UPWARD spiral where the energy grows and grows into a huge power that strengthens our resolve to abstain.
Thanks so much, your words are worth millions to me right now.
Our kids are better off, our friends and family are bettter off, people on the road are better off - just by being here right now, instead of drinking, we are making this world a better place!
Old 07-22-2004, 08:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

Carrie,

Welcome to SR. You have found your way to great group, of caring people. I'm glad you decided to join us.

Talia
Old 07-22-2004, 08:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi!! I am glad you found SR. There are tons and tons of wonderful people to offer support. I slept through mine crying one night. My husband told me about it the next day....I felt horrible. We all have done stupid things with our children when we put alcohol and/or drugs in top position.

Keep posting. Lots of love, Cinn
Old 07-22-2004, 09:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Carrie, great decision to stop drinking and start recovery. I have been sober for 11 months and had to learn a few things on the way: We need help and support to make it, meetings are essential (the more the better), motivation and determination are not enough - we need to accept that we have a disease and treat it like any other medical condition, this site is great and oh yeah, it is a tough emotional journey (on us and our family).

That said, I sure don't miss all the terrible things associated with alcohol, and alcohol sure has never solved a problem for me!

It is great to get sober for your family, but do it for yourself too!

Dave
Old 07-22-2004, 10:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Carrie, sounds like you got a wakeup call, courtesy of your kids!

Congradulations on listening to it. Now you have to decide what you are going to do about it.

Being an AA'er, I'd suggest AA. Can't hurt, might help. Alcoholics helping alcoholics. If AA isn't your bag, check out the AA alternatives section of this webpage.

Welcome to SR! Hope to see more of you.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

From my uncle:
Three things in life that, once gone, never come back -
>Time, Words & Opportunity
>
>Three things in life that may never be lost -
>Peace, Hope & Honesty.
>
>Three things in life that are most valuable -
>Love, Faith & Prayer
>
>Three things in life that are never certain -
>Dreams, Success & Fortune
>
>Three things that make a man -
>Hard work, Sincerity & Commitment
>
>Three things in life that can destroy a man -
>Lust, Pride & Anger
>
>Three things that are truly constant -
>Father, Son and Holy Ghost
>
>I ask the Lord to bless you, as I pray for you today;
>to guide you and protect you, as you go along your way.
>His love is always with you, His promises are true.
>And when you give Him all your cares, you know He'll see you through.
>
Old 07-23-2004, 08:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

heh carrie
by some miracle, i made it to AA
and by another miracle, my son was still alive
I did him great harm while i was drunk
sometimes violence
sometimes absence.
been sober now for eight years
my son and i are very close today
[he is about the coolest 17 year old in the whole world!!]
i think neither of us could have waited a moment longer for my recovery to begin.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Kids are such an inspiration

I'd do anything to avoid harming my son. I'm committed now. It is work, but I'm determined to be a success story. Wow, 8 years for you!!! That is so great! I want to see my son at 17, I'm sure he will be a wonderful person. I need to take the right steps now to see him grow up. It is my choice. Thank god I still have that option.