Notices

What seems to help you stay sober early on?

Old 09-04-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What seems to help you stay sober early on?

Although I'm only coming to the end of my third day, I have failed so many times. This time seems different. I have a different resolve.

The things that really seem to be helping me are:

1) I'm doing my best to stay positive about this journey. (No it won't be easy, but it's a heck of a lot better than the alternative of being a constant drunk)

2) I plan each day. Each evening I begin thinking about how I'm going to spend the next day to avoid drinking. Usually the plan isn't solid until morning. Then I decide in the morning that I will not drink today and I know what my dinner will be, where I will run an errand to, what I'll get, when I'll be home etc. No time for the liquor store!!!!

3) I'm making an effort to get out of the house and do productive stuff. Like take longer than usual walks with the pup. Go to bible study. Sign up for a conference that I know will not have alcohol present. Etc.

4) I've done research on alcoholism, alcohol dependence, alcohol abuse, withdrawal , etc. It really helps to try to understand why and how it affects me and those around me.

5) reading SR a lot!!!

These are things that have really helped me. I'm sure there are other things that have helped others achieve sobriety. Please feel free to share. I would love to get more ideas and I'm certain it could help others as well.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In my early days it helped me to consider my dogs and cats. Their well being is in my hands and I can't take good care of them when I'm drinking or sick.

It helped too, early on, when I had cravings to drink I'd walk the dogs. It was a win-win as the dogs loved all the walks and I stayed sober.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sinderos I'm not just saying this I've seen your posts

I have so much faith in you just keep doing what your doing its making happy reading your posts

Just want to say a really well meant well done hang on in there

Your doing great

And yeah massive walks with the dog tires both of you out
Old 09-04-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a few tricks I would play on myself. I remember once, I got all my paper money and put it into hot soapy water, so that I couldn't take it to the shop. Another time, i gave my bank card to my friend for the weekend and at other times, i'd spend everything I had on ebay, so that there was nothing left on the card (Only bought things I needed anyway though).
Oh! And to stop myself going out of the door once, I poured warm water all over my hair It seems to help when you take the 'choice' out of heading out to buy the evil stuff
Old 09-04-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice plan, support is your big one, when things get tough reach out to other people, outside of your own mind, come to SR and lean on all of us here!!

You can do this!!
Old 09-04-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA meetings
Old 09-04-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One thing I used to do, and still do quite often, is, as soon as I open my eyes in the morning, think "What would this morning be like if I was still drinking"

If it is a weekday, I think back to my working days, waking up with a hangover, stumbling to the bathroom to get ready, peppermints to cover the alcohol smell still on my breath, eye drops to get the red out. Driving to work with a pounding head. And contrast that to the feeling of no hangover, no headache, no upset stomach.

If it is a weekend, I figure I would have been out late, drinking and partying, maybe staying at home drinking til the wee hours. Friday nights at the High School Football game, with a smuggled in pint of whiskey. Saturday late night drunken poker games. Maybe a bar b que at a friends house, start drinking early, quit late. Same morning feeling as a weekday, but x 10. Then lay there a few extra minutes enjoying the absence of all that misery.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

NorMar, I can definitely relate to a lot of what you said. I do not miss driving to work on the interstate in rush hour traffic feeling like I was still half drunk. The fog in my head until around 10 am while I was trying to work in a fast paced office that requires a lot of multi tasking. Not fun. I'll definitely remind myself of those feelings. That will help a lot!
Old 09-04-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Any combination of your ideas could work. I thought I would just paralell my experience for future reference

1) I'm doing my best to stay positive about this journey. (No it won't be easy, but it's a heck of a lot better than the alternative of being a constant drunk)

Yup, I usually started out this way with a mind surprisingly open to sobriety.

2) I plan each day. Each evening I begin thinking about how I'm going to spend the next day to avoid drinking. Usually the plan isn't solid until morning. Then I decide in the morning that I will not drink today and I know what my dinner will be, where I will run an errand to, what I'll get, when I'll be home etc. No time for the liquor store!!!!

Yup I tried this approach, and in the morning it was my absolute honest intention not to drink that day, but I often found myself drunk in the afternoon, with no memory of going to the pub or taking the first drink.

3) I'm making an effort to get out of the house and do productive stuff. Like take longer than usual walks with the pup. Go to bible study. Sign up for a conference that I know will not have alcohol present. Etc.

A court ordered stay in the laughing academy got me to the point where I could stay sober a full day, so I set about doing productive stuff. As the weeks went by my life fell apart to the point where I could not get out of bed. I did not seem able to participate in life in any meaningful way. the domiciliary nurse reported my living conditions as absolute squalor. That was me at six months of no drinking. I drank again.

4) I've done research on alcoholism, alcohol dependence, alcohol abuse, withdrawal , etc. It really helps to try to understand why and how it affects me and those around me.

I gained some useful knowledge in the laughing academy. I learned how to drink socially while taking antabuse. Not recommended.

5) I went to AA in the end, and followed the advice of "don't drink and go to meetings". My life fell apart in a few weeks like before, and I ended up drunk again.

6) I went back to AA and found someone to help me with the steps (they are there if your look for them). I never drank again. Happy ending
Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For myself, it helped to change things throughout the day. A different template would take my mind off drinking.

I read a lot on AVRT. It gave me some insight into myself and my cravings.

Stayed on SR. Support is great. Made a lot of friends. It also keeps me grounded. It helps me remember that i have a handicap (alcoholism)
Old 09-04-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Always eat when hungry. That's my number one combat weapon!
And tons of sleep, if possible.
And low-drama!