Notices

boyfriend heroin detox

Old 09-04-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

boyfriend heroin detox

Hi my boyfriend just admitted himself into detox for heroin. We met a year ago, and he was currently relapsing but I thought he was clean. Progressed quickly and soon enough I became aware. I stuck by him. Bc I want to be with him. He decided to go into detox himself, hoping for treatment, but one day at a time. Anyways I want to know what if anything should I expect while he is in detox and what should I do to make his recovery positive. I know I could not cause a relapse. But I can make it so he chooses for me to not be part of his recovery. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds pretty positive that he made the decision, it shows he wants to sort things out!!

He's in the best place to get the care and treatment that he needs, the best thing is to be patient, others will have more advice for you!!
Old 09-04-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks purpleknight, patience is a quality I tend to lack but ill try and soberwolf I appreciate the link but I want advice from those in recovery.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Having my own alcohol addiction I can honestly say it was my own battle to fight, no one could do it for me, again very positive that he made the decision to sort things out!!

He'll have to fight a lot of battles though, who he is? what his life will now be like? what he now wants from life? all these things I needed to process in my mind, alcohol was my sole focus in life, as you can imagine then, take that out of the equation and what was I left with? so a lot of rebuilding was needed!!

But be prepared for him not to be fixed/healed in a matter of weeks or months, it's a process, the body is not only physical, but emotional, it has thoughts and feelings too, as it adjusts to life without our drug of choice it can throw up all sorts of things that need to be dealt with and worked through!!

Support for YOU is important in all of this, and SR is a great place for that!!
Old 09-04-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Purpleknight thanks again. I guess I'm understanding all that. And I plan on seeking my own therapy as well. Part of me is afraid he will not want me in his life anymore. I want to make sure I don't do anything to push him away especially bc I know he will be feeling all new feelings. I know that sounds selfish.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Let him know you support his sobriety but don't try to force the issue. It's his recovery. He has to put in the work.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks least yeah I also know I need to step back completely and not do his recovery for him. I'm excited to 're-meet' him since I've ever really known him while he has been using.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Hi jade the only reason I'm saying is we are alcoholics in recovery not heroin addicts in recovery
They are 2 completely different things hence the different section there is a section for substance users in recovery for a better understanding in the link

I myself am going thru this with someone they are off heroin 2 years but still on subitex and entering rehab to get off this and be completely sober in the next week

Hang in there good luck
Old 09-04-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh didn't realize the recovery had sections as well thanks
Old 09-04-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Recommend that when he gets out he attends
AA or NA or both
Church never hurt anyone
Both places are full of sinners just like us
MM
Old 09-04-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks mountainmanbob. I'm hoping he will really put an effort into recovery and not just getting clean. He and I both know all the education to stay clean. But I understand it's a process. And bc I have never been through recovery I don't know and can't imagine the emotions and all the hardware of life that will be faced.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jadealexander View Post
Oh didn't realize the recovery had sections as well thanks
The Newcomers Section is open to everyone, but then we have side forums that really get specific on the types of recovery or view points of recovery, eg the addict themselves or family/friends of the addicts!!

Best thing is to take a look around, there's a wealth of knowledge and wisdom all over the Forum!!
Old 09-04-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well I have two days clean out of detox and rehab. Altogether i have 95 days clean. Personally putting time between me and the drug really gave me a fighting chance to clear my mind and reflect back and have to think about everything. So I really suggest an inpatient rehab if possible. After that AA/NA! Is this his first time around? Do you know anything about his past of addiction?
Old 09-04-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

95 days must make u feel real great he has been to rehab one other time almost 2 years ago. He did also go to detox the beginning of this year just to come back out and use right away. He needs treatment especially to build his confidence and let him know he can do this. He's always been honest with me (besides trying to hide his using in the beginning of us talking). I know he wants recovery. Just hope he's willing to put 100%. And hoping he wants me as his support and to continue being his gf.