Notices

Can benzos prolong alcohol withdrawal?

Old 09-04-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can benzos prolong alcohol withdrawal?

Ive been trying to figure out whats wrong with me for a while now. Basically, alcohol is the reason that my panic attacks came back after years of not being present. So, I decided to stop drinking alcohol. Pretty much went cold turkey. Thankfully, I didnt have a physical addiction to it, so I managed to stop altogether quite easily.

However, the panic attacks were what I was really afraid of. Back in 2008, I got panic attacks as a result of marijuana usage. Eventually felt better within 4 months and went on with life. Started drinking heavily in the last few months. It was gradual, leading up to my first panic attack while hungover.

I went to the docs office to get Clonazepam, because that really helped me the first time I went through panic attacks. I noticed that my pills didnt work as effectively as I returned to work. I had no idea how the effects of alcohol and benzos work by way of cross-tolerance. But, it explains a lot.

Anyway, when I realized that the medication wasnt working after returning to work for three weeks, I stopped going and tried to figure out what was wrong with me. By this point, Agoraphobia and Panic Disorder had set in and I was becoming a wreck. So, everytime I left the home I took a small dose of Clonazepam (.25mg, pretty much a placebo at that amount). But, it worked! And for a few days afterwords I usually felt pretty good.

But then my anxiety would rear back up and I would have to take another. Eventually the good feelings lasted until I had a MAJOR panic attack (About two months after my last drink) in the middle of the night and I took my full dose (3 pills, 1.5mg). Anyway, the pills did calm the panic attack, but I was still shaking and feeling on edge.

After that I realized that the pills were not really helping and I decided to jump off the boat. My real question is, have I just been keeping a torch lit for my alcohol addiction by using Clonazepam all this time? I know that they work on the same brain receptors, but it explains why I feel like crap when I take my full dosage. Both when I stopped going to work and weeks later when I took my full dosage again I got serious nausea and other flu-like symptoms.

When I look at symptoms online, it feels like Im always in a state of acute withdrawal rather than PAWS. But, I figured that I had to have PAWS because it has been so long since my last drink. However, my symptoms werent letting up and it feels like Im in a constant state of extreme anxiety.

I have noticed that my panic attacks have gone down over the past three and a half weeks (Almost at 4 weeks completely off of both Clonazepam and Alcohol). But, the anxiety and obsessive thoughts are still present which seem more intense in those going through acute withdrawal rather than PAWS.

After doing some research online, I found out that benzodiazepenes are used in the first few days of sobriety to prevent the risk of seizures and DT, but after the first few days are over, people go home and experience the acute withdrawal phase. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it possible that Ive been kindling or prolonging my withdrawal or both?
Old 09-04-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am 6 weeks sober and still having anxiety and panic attacks. Like you they were worse the first 4 weeks and are getting less intense. I was given lorazepam (a benzo) last week for occasional use and was told they act the same as alcohol on the brain and that they are addictive and easily you can go from withdrawing from alcohol, getting/switching addiction to benzos and then have to go through the withdrawal process for benzos. So the brain just trades one addiction for another. That's my take.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Benzo's for me are a cheap substitute for alcohol. I've always drank after the pills were gone and sometimes with. My experience was they did prolong the inevitable--being clean. There should be criminal penalties for docs giving them to alcoholics (IMO). Tapering off them is discussed in detail at Benzo Buddies and other sites (it's done slowly).
Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its been almost 4 weeks since I quit using the Clonazepam. I definitely didnt taper. And, I didnt use them regularly for years. My usage pattern was like 1-2 pills after this all started in a two week period before returning to work. Took 3 pills on most days during the work week for the weeks I was at work. Took one pill on Saturday on the weekends during that time. After I stopped going to work, I took one pill for two days. Stopped taking them after that. Took .25mg (Half a pill) each time I left the house. About three times after that until the massive panic attack where I took all three pills within a 24 hour period as prescribed.

Its been 3.5 weeks since then and I do notice SOME things have been getting better. But, I still have a lot of acute symptoms so Im just wondering if they can prolong alcohol withdrawal as they have a similar effect within the GABA system.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
Benzo's for me are a cheap substitute for alcohol. I've always drank after the pills were gone and sometimes with. My experience was they did prolong the inevitable--being clean. There should be criminal penalties for docs giving them to alcoholics (IMO).
I take a benzo when withdrawing, and I find they work. I'm on them now actually.

For some reason they don't give me the feeling alcohol gave me. I just get tired. If I was given a short acting benzo like Ativan I would have withdrawals from them. Benzo withdrawal is about as bad as alcohol from what I've read.

But I totally see what you mean. It's basically the same thing in your brain. It's very dangerous taking them. I only get 10 25mg pills.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Best being safe and checking in with a Dr!!

Dr. Google isn't the best type of diagnosis!!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Go to your doctor be honest and take it from there
Old 09-04-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Another vote for the Dr. Benzo withdrawal is not DIY stuff.

D
Old 11-21-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really wish some of the people who posted on here came back now and again. That's something I will endeavour to do. It would be so nice to see how people were a few months down the road.

I expect many people on this forum either recover and go off into the sunset, or go back to the bottle.

A big thank you to those of you who've stuck around (Dee and others) to answer questions and help people through this. It's a dark and lonely place, withdrawal.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree more.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No I dont think taking them will prolong alcohol withdrawals. I will tell you however, that I took Ativan for 2 years. The withdrawls from that was bad and can mimic those of alcohol withdrawal. I took a very systematic approach to weaning myself off of them. I would be happy to share the way my DR told me to wean myself off of it so that you can discuss with your DR, but it's too long to type and we are not supposed to give medical advice on the forums.

Benzos are no joke...
Old 11-22-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Benzos interact with your brain's excitatory and inhibitory chemical systems the same way alcohol does - so withdrawal symptoms are similar - and dangerous.