Notices

I made it to the 5 day mark!! :-)

Old 09-04-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I made it to the 5 day mark!! :-)

I can't believe I made it to the 5 day mark - but the weekend worries me. Tomorrow especially leaving work will be hard. Friday was always pub night, and then all day Saturday and Saturday night :-(

How does everyone cope with weekends in the early stages?
Old 09-04-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I took myself back to when I was a kid - sweets and ice-cream on a weekend Makes it so that you're still not missing out on something different
Don't forget there's a weekend thread that pops up on SR too - it's very good!!
Old 09-04-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mairie, that's a big help. I find I am eating much more now that I'm not drinking - it's crazy! Seem to be hungry all the time...
Old 09-04-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I agree with Marie that substitutes help. I would go to a juice bar after work, and enjoy a freshly made juice instead of my usual treat of a bottle of wine. Later my relaxation ritual was a cup of tea.
Don't allow yourself to get too hungry or tired.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

RedDragonfly, hunger at the start, especially cravings for sweets and carbs, is not unusual. Alcohol is basically metabolized to pure sugar, so your body is used to having a lot of easily accessible sugar, all the time (or large amounts at once, if you're a binge drinker). Most drinkers take in a huge number of calories without even really thinking about it.

For me, my fall backs for sweet craving are herbal teas that taste sweet (like licorice tea), frozen grapes (they taste like candy) and little frozen "cookie dough" balls that I keep in the freezer. Other than that, loading up on lots of fluids and nutritious foods, the cravings will pass.

Most of all, congratulations of 5 days! Make sure that you have a hard and fast plan for he weekend if that was your normal danger time. I find if I can keep my body and hands busy, I don't even miss not having a drink
Old 09-04-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedDragonfly View Post
I can't believe I made it to the 5 day mark - but the weekend worries me. Tomorrow especially leaving work will be hard. Friday was always pub night, and then all day Saturday and Saturday night :-(

Congratulations on your 5 days.
It’s a good idea to be concerned about not drinking one day at a time, today, after all that’s all we have.
Reading a lot of posts here will give a varied way to do that. My personal favorite is to NOT think about drinking. There are many pleasant things we can think about that will not kill us in mind and spitit.

BE WELL
Old 09-04-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

congrats on 5 days wonderful!!!
weekends are tough - but I agree with I0AA - try to not project too far ahead and psyche yourself out. Focus on TODAY. Just TODAY.
That being said, it's smart to have plans in place for the weekends. Don't put yourself in those old routines. This is where the changes need to start being made. New routines and habits need to be formed.
This weekend, we have already planned that Saturday we will check out furniture places for a new couch we need soon. Sunday, go play mini golf somewhere.
I have a list of things I pull from on weekends to ensure I am not just sitting around, b/c boredom for me is a dangerous territory. I suspect that's with almost all of us.
Once you start doing more things and appreciating the fun and beauty of doing them sober, it gets a bit easier to navigate
stay close to SR. good luck!!! you can do it
Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 5 days

The first weekends are always a little daunting but there's tons of support here.

Why not join our Class of September support thread?

There will also be a weekender support thread too

It's never ever too late to start some new weekend traditions and routines

D
Old 09-04-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, on day 5. I wrote everything down my 1st few months. I look back fairly often. Just looked at my day 5. It was the day I felt pretty normal. no more nausea or that horrible (guilt maybe) feeling in the pit of my stomach. And it was the day I went for my 1st walk outdoors, during the middle of the day. Like I belonged back to the world, and I was no different than anyone else.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 days!!! The eating is normal. Most of us got our calories and sugar from alcohol. Take away the alcohol-we eat.

As for what to do on the weekend, I have been going to the farmer's market, flea market, nature walking, etc...any place where there is no booze works for me. You are smart to plan it out. For me, boredom is tough so I keep planning my days to avoid too much of it.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Watching weekend television with my gf or family in the early days esp reality shows oh how great they are lol

Well done on day 5 honestly its amazing
Old 09-04-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

farmer's market and flea markets are great ideas to waste time just wandering around. plus, you're inadvertently getting some exercise and fresh air!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 5 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Excellent work on getting to day 5!

I'm on day 8. I'm not going back! Think about how good you feel today...If you drink this weekend, you'll be set all the way back...

Stay close to SR to get you through the weekend if you need it. Or go to AA meetings everyday. Whatever works for you...

Feel proud of your accomplishment...But don't get complacent...You CAN DO This!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you so much - you are all fantastic :-)
Old 09-06-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can't believe it, I made it to 1 week. I never thought I'd do it. It was important for me to get here, now I'm going to focus on 1 day at a time. I'm already noticing some positive changes - my face is losing some of the bloat, I'm loving waking up without a hangover, but I do have terrible headaches. I think I've been forgetting to drink enough water.

Anyway, thank you to all of you for helping me get this far. SR is indeed a lifesaver.

Onwards..
Old 09-06-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are doing great - keep up the good work!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedDragonfly View Post

well done hun big hugs
xxx

This is my first weekend too.... i got up super early so i was knackered and went to bed early. i took some kalms and ate a huge dinner, slept like the dead x
Old 09-06-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I can't wait to be back through a whole week. Congrats on your full week and thanks for the motivating post!!!!!!!!
Grat
Old 09-07-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on one whole week, woohoo.