Notices

Day 8 - Keeping it simple.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Day 8 - Keeping it simple.

I find that whenever I sober up for a period of time I get to a point where I’m feeling better/living better and all of a sudden I feel like I need to fix EVERYTHING AT ONCE, and start to get ahead of myself.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this has been detrimental to my recovery attempts in the past. I set the bar too high, and when I start to slip in one area – well, I let everything go to *****.

For example. I’m 8 days sober, feeling better, living better. Today my thoughts have been consumed with things like “I must get back on track with a meal plan/diet. I should join a Hot Yoga class and start going with a girl friend of mine. I need to get back to my fitness regime/running schedule of 7 days a week. I should see if they have any meditation classes in my city so I can enhance my spiritual self. Maybe I should take up a class or change career directions?? I need to go buy a new book so I can start reading again.” On and on and on, lol. Can anyone else relate?

I need to constantly remind myself to keep it simple. I need to focus on ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY right now, and that is my recovery/sobriety. Because without that – I won’t have a chance of having any of those other things anyways.

Work, recovery, eat, sleep, repeat. That’s it and that’s all – for now.

The rest of things will come in due time.

Hope all of you SR friends are having an awesome sober day & keeping it simple! :P
Old 09-03-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great plan, Sobriety isn't a sprint, be patient and you'll get there!!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm the exact same way. Over-achiever I've been called.
I'm the girl who has 8 half started books. A whole computer full of workout videos. A list of things I want to do. yup...
I have managed to slow my roll this time though. Baby steps
one thing at a time. I'm not like the Tazmanian Devil anymore. lol
Old 09-03-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
I find that whenever I sober up for a period of time I get to a point where I’m feeling better/living better and all of a sudden I feel like I need to fix EVERYTHING AT ONCE, and start to get ahead of myself.

Can anyone else relate?
Yes!

I am the same way I did too much, too soon. A couple years ago I started running and entered races probably a little too soon! Burnt myself out. Collapsed into a depressed, crying sort of meltdown state of mind for two months! A year later, I started free weight lifting and re-injured my old groin injury. I've since learned to moderate my exercise and diet plan changes. I buy too many books that sit on my shelves and have 10 to 15 books on my current reading list. Lol. Reading them simultaneously, that is! Just too much. Recently, I got not one dog... but two!

Actually, the second dog was planned
Old 09-03-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, i'm one day behind you...Today makes 1 week sober

I heard this in AA yesterday.

*Do the next right thing*

It sounds like you know what to do...And you're actively doing it.

One step at a time. You can't take 1000 at once.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For example. I’m 8 days sober, feeling better, living better. Today my thoughts have been consumed with things like “I must get back on track with a meal plan/diet. I should join a Hot Yoga class and start going with a girl friend of mine. I need to get back to my fitness regime/running schedule of 7 days a week. I should see if they have any meditation classes in my city so I can enhance my spiritual self. Maybe I should take up a class or change career directions?? I need to go buy a new book so I can start reading again.” On and on and on, lol. Can anyone else relate?
Google the definition of the "pink cloud." It's quite typical.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Yep, the are studies that show change is much more successful when taken one element at a time.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done mrryahh !!!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm finding I want to change everything, make new. I'm giving clutter away, cleaning, ripping off wallpaper, even cut/color my hair. Just got a book called "reinventing your life." I can't move away from drinking days fast enough. In time there'll be balance but not now!
Old 09-03-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I need to constantly remind myself to keep it simple. I need to focus on ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY right now, and that is my recovery/sobriety. Because without that – I won’t have a chance of having any of those other things anyways.

Work, recovery, eat, sleep, repeat. That’s it and that’s all – for now.

The rest of things will come in due time.
Hi. It's something more of us need in our lives.

BE WELL
Old 09-03-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm day 16 and still focusing on nightly bubble baths, a TV show and my kindle.
Those are the ME things right now. But I also have two little kiddos.

Take it slow! Congrats on day 8.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So true..I take 3 steps back and dont feel guilty. If I'm staying sober, it's all ok
Old 09-03-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Actually, the second dog was planned
Hmmm, was the first one an accident?

Mrrrrrrrrrrryah, many of us have been through that, okay, so why isn't everything back to normal phase.

It is so cliche' but baby steps, or at least a slow and deliberate approach to getting the life back you want. If we expect too much too soon our disappointments may send us backwards. Be grateful for how much you've accomplished in a such a short time. This sobriety thing isn't easy. And it ain't always sugar, spice and everything nice.

I wish I had the attitude you do after a week. It took me a while to climb out of my shell.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 8 here also and I do the same thing. All or nothing... must do this and must do that.

I am trying to take it slow this time. I get overwhelmed too easily.

Good luck
Old 09-03-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post

Hmmm, was the first one an accident?
It was not an accident, no

But it was one of those spontaneous wild hair choices. The second dog was chosen specifically for companionship for the puppy.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds good Mrrryah - congrats on your progress

D
Old 09-03-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Today my thoughts have been consumed with things like “I must get back on track with a meal plan/diet. I should join a Hot Yoga class and start going with a girl friend of mine. I need to get back to my fitness regime/running schedule of 7 days a week. I should see if they have any meditation classes in my city so I can enhance my spiritual self. Maybe I should take up a class or change career directions?? I need to go buy a new book so I can start reading again.” On and on and on, lol. Can anyone else relate
Haha this is quite literally my thought process as of lately. Like every one of those things you mentioned. I've always been an all or nothing personality type, which makes sense when it comes to addiction. If I'm trying to eat super healthy, but then I give in and have a bowl of ice cream one day, I'll likely continue to stuff my face with a ton more "off-limits" snacks since I already "blew it". I want everything fixed right away, and if I go off track with one little thing, I feel like I failed. I'm with you...focus on sobriety first, then tackle the other goals one by one when the time feels right.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm reconnecting with my kids. They hang around me now. I mentioned a girl today and my 13-yr-old son said "she's not my type." What? He has a type? When I started drinking he was into Legos and hated girls. My 11 yr old was playing music in her room. It was strange to hear, she never does that, she was probably too scared to play music before, I don't know. It wasn't loud at all which is why I was confused where the sound was coming from. My son and I snuck upstairs and listened outside her room. She was listening to Coldplay. A song I had played for her earlier that day. She had looked it up on YouTube to play the song again. I guess she's not a Belieber lol...

I always thought it was strange how my kids didn't listen to music much. I did at their age. Now I realize I never exposed them to anything. I was too into my own selfish alcoholic world.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Can relate totally Mrrryah! I can project to the point of overwhelming myself, next right thing is a good way to live life, and like my user name 1 step at a time!