Notices

I feel so unhealthy :-(

Old 09-03-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel so unhealthy :-(

Maybe I was expecting miracles but since giving up alcohol I've felt so unhealthy.

I'm bloated, my skin is both greasy and very dry, I'm so tried I could sleep for a week and just generally feel very down.

I take vitamins and don't usually suffer at all from skin issues apart from it being very sensitive.

It's day 13 for me, is this normal please? Thanks.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congrats on Day 13 that is awesome!!!

I'd say what you are going through is normal. Your body is getting rid of all the crap!
My hair was so brittle I could snap it in half. Skin was horrible as all the toxins flushed out.
It will pass Just think of all the years you were poisoning it, it won't fix itself in a week or 2.
as for the energy - LOL I'm at day 116 and still have days where brushing my teeth is all I can muster. Everyone is different in recovery.
I do take a B Multi vitamin - eat pretty healthy and exercise regularly to help.
hang in!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Belle - Give yourself time & be kind to yourself If you can will yourself to get some exercise, even just some light walking, it really helps with the energy level. Fabulous on 13 days!!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 13! I'm 5 days ahead of you! I've noticed I get very tired at night! I used to stay up until 12am or so every night and get up at 7, not I'm starting to doze on the couch at around 9. At the same time though, I've felt better exercising and have had more stamina to go on long walks. I think everyone is different. You might want to see a doctor if you continue to feel off. There are a lot of things that can cause your symptoms from detox to a vitamin deficiency to an illness.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Normal. It takes time for a body to heal.
I'm also going to assume you're female. Hormone balance related to estrogen is mediated in the liver, as is alcohol metabolism. Excessive drinking (and stopping drinking after a period of excessive drinking) can throw hormones out of balance for a while. Female hormones play a big role in skin condition. Think getting zits right before your period.

Aside from this, stress hormones and sugar balance can be a little off when you stop drinking. You're changing the whole way your body understands things will be.

Rest well, exercise, eat clean and highly nutritious foods, hydrate well. Sometimes peoples diets go a little off the rails after stopping drinking, as their bodies crave sugar that normally comes from alcohol.

Congratulations on nearly two weeks! Just be kind to yourself. This will pass and you will feel amazing.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ya. I'm feeling like utter crap today. Day 3 since I went on my last bender. I have no stamina and my digestive system is all messed up. My head feels like a hollow log.

I started taking B-complex vitamins yesterday. I sure hope that helps.

During my last period of sobriety (6 months!) I was feeling pretty good again. But I stupidly succumbed and now I'm back at bottom of the ravine.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

24 days in, and my skin is terrible (my back, of all things, especially). I actually found I didn't feel tremendously more healthy the first time I tried this (a hair over 4 months sober) either, at least in the mornings. However, I did NOT have the intense, wretched guilt every day. That means something to me.

Good luck. It does, truly, get better.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My skin is terrible as well. Very oily. A guy at age 55 shouldn't be experiencing acne, but I am. WTF?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah... going through the same here!! just over a month & today I feel awful!! Eyes stinging, fatigue & having the odd funny turn!! It will pass.... I hope!!!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I think just about anything is normal in early sobriety. We poison ourselves for years and expect things to return to normal in a few days. The body can repair itself but it takes time
Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The body can't heal years of drinking in a matter of weeks!!

It needs to do it's thing, but needs time to do it!!

Hang in there!!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Totally normal!

Day 13, congratulations!

Here's the thing; you've been medicating your body and your mind.

What you're going to experience is a 'rebalancing' period and that is going to mess with you - physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually. This does taper off and eventually begins to head nowhere but UP.

Along the way, be patient with yourself and remind yourself every day that it took a long time for your body and mind and emotions and mental processes and sense of self to become pickled in booze..... so it's also going to take time for all of that to cleanse and become healthy again.

You can help out the process by focusing on very good, healthy nutrition, water intake, cleansing teas, exercise, meditation and spiritually-nourishing pursuits.

Hang in there, this is just the beginning. It's a struggle at first but it becomes AWESOME.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JD4010 View Post
My skin is terrible as well. Very oily. A guy at age 55 shouldn't be experiencing acne, but I am. WTF?
I'm having the breakout of all breakouts right now. Almost 38 yrs old (Dec.)
and a bit over 3 months sober. I thought this would have happened a couple months ago.
I have never had the amount of red, oily zits as I do now
I am hoping it's just a phase! LOL
Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
I'm having the breakout of all breakouts right now. Almost 38 yrs old (Dec.)
and a bit over 3 months sober. I thought this would have happened a couple months ago.
I have never had the amount of red, oily zits as I do now
I am hoping it's just a phase! LOL
Maybe we can all consider it puberty for our new selves?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mangoes View Post
Maybe we can all consider it puberty for our new selves?
that's what I said to my BF! LOL
Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Feelings run most of our lives if not all our lives. The way we feel creates the way we think.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there 13 days is amazing the body gets better with time
Old 09-03-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
Feelings run most of our lives if not all our lives. The way we feel creates the way we think.
nope....

it's the other way 'round.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am around 20ish days...and I go in waves. The last week or so, I've been REALLY tired...sleeping 8-10 hours/night! I feel so much better when I wake up though compared to when I was drinking...I just thought I would have MORE energy, not less. Who knows, I assume its just part of it. And in the meantime, now that I'm a little more used to it, I've actually been enjoying all the sleep.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

50 days sober and I have zits!!! Haven't had those since high school. Skin is really dry - I actually have a bottle of skin cream next to my recliner when I am watching TV. Now I am hydrating and re-living my puberty.