Notices

3 days sober

Old 09-03-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days sober

I would like to introduce myself.

I stopped drinking 3 days ago. I have joined the site to share how I feel and ask for others to comment on my experience and share their own.
I am 37. I started drinking socially at 16 which increased rapidly at university and into my working life throughout my 20s as a daily beer drinker. (4-7 pints a night, every night). This developed into spirits (Whiskey, mainly) on top by age 27-31.

After a serious life set back at around age 31 I became absolutely dependent on spirits to function, and became what can be described as a working, functioning alcoholic where all I did was work, go home, get drunk until midnight, pass out and go to work again, seeing no one outside of work or at weekends. I became very lonely.

I attended therapy. I cut out spirits (which, to this day I do not touch) and seriously reduced my alcohol consumption.

I have previously stopped for one year at 33-34 then slowly returned to drinking which inevitably has spiraled out of control twice, followed each time by two periods of 3 months abstinence before returning to alcohol, controlling it for a few months before it starts to control me and destroy other aspects of my life.

I have developed social anxiety problems and anxiety in general; and a failure to control everyday life. Today I have just passed the three day mark. I am suffering with panic attacks every couple of hours and numbness in my hands and legs, fingers and toes. I also seem to have carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrists. Apart from the anxiety, none of this was apparent until I stopped.

I am worried about the future, am very unhappy even though I am trying to keep it in the day) but trying to eat and drink well.

I wanted to share this for any advice or responses from those in a similar position.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 days sober! It sounds like you might want to see a doctor. You've been drinking a lot for a very long time and those symptoms may be withdrawals. I bet you'll be feeling a lot better once you get through this.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3!

I think on day 3 for me, I was still horribly depressed. The toxins are still in your system, and you probably haven't had a good night sleep. All I could think about was everything I'd lost and f***ed up because of drinking. I'm generally plagued by shame and guilt, and those first few days of withdrawal were awful.

I'm on day 24 now, and I feel great. I'm not dwelling on the past and I'm trying to stay in the moment. Take care of yourself and your mental health. Do something that makes you happy and know that the depression will lift. Drink lots of water too!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been at "day 3" numerous times. I've also been at 7 months. But each time, I'd crash and burn.

Similar to the previous poster, I have mountains of shame and guilt to face. I torpedoed a 30 year marriage because of depression and drinking.

My symptoms right now (day 3 for me as well, this time) are "empty head" and a messed-up digestive system. I've also lost a lot of my stamina for exercise; I'll even break a sweat walking for a few minutes now.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick replies. Nice to know the community is there...
Sleeping has been a bit strange but not impossible. I have had the most vivid dreams in a long time over the last 2 nights, which have been borderline nightmare-ish and memorable. Night sweats too, hopefully the toxins are leaving my body.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ha! I had a bad case of the night sweats last night too. And some bizarre dreams, now that you mention it.

I also sweat more easily during the day after I've been drinking. I'm a polar bear anyway, but I'm especially miserable in the heat if I've been drinking.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I saw a doctor last week prior to stopping because of the general feeling of anxiety and agitation I have been feeling, constantly; hopefully will get a referral to see a mental health councillor some point soon.

I am trying not to beat myself up about it too much right now. I think the reason I really want to stop this time is that there is a lot to worry about; as well as the fact that I can no longer deny that that life is so much worse with alcohol; it solves nothing, just staves off the time to think. I don't want to take the easy option (though it is so temping!)
Old 09-03-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

The physical symptoms you are experiencing should pass in time,I had pins and needles and numbness in my hands and arms.If you are worried get checked out by a Doctor.

The good news is you will feel better the longer sober you are.

Wishing you well.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is early days but today some of the symptoms I described yesterday, particularly numbness in my arms and legs, are subsiding. Early days I know but positive non the less.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. You know, i have had the carpal tunnel thing since i quit. Thought it was unrelated though.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Vitamin B12, fruit and water is helping...
I am not denying my self a few things that I might be considered bad for me in a few weeks once I get over the 'hump.' (coffee, a few sugary treats).
Old 09-04-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by lifereturning View Post
Vitamin B12, fruit and water is helping...
I am not denying my self a few things that I might be considered bad for me in a few weeks once I get over the 'hump.' (coffee, a few sugary treats).
Vitimins b12 are good but u can get more bvits (all of the b vits from 1-12) its found in wheatgerm bread also

Might want to try multi vits for hair nails skin etc

Good luck and well done
Old 09-04-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, lifereturning!
Old 09-04-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hello and welcome!! Hope you are starting to feel better. It gets better