Notices

Time has come

Old 09-03-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time has come

This is my first post and hopefully not my last. I have been drinking since the age of 18 and now I'm 41. I don't drink every day and sometimes not even weekly but when I start I tend to binge drink until all the alcohol is gone. I tend to cycle at least one or two times a year that I get so drunk and turn into another person whom I don't know I have ashamed my wife so many times who has put up with this year after year and stayed with me for over 20 years my kids are older and now it's starting to embarrass them when we have functions and dad can't stop until he is an ass. Again I'm not so warried about the next few weeks or maybe even the next few months but what happens in three months or six months? How to stay positive and not ever let the demon raise that head. Any advise is great
Old 09-03-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your in the right place!!!! Check in here everyday! Congrats on making the first step. I'm only on day 3 and so excited about SR. As far as the future we can't think that far in advance! Only today my friend. There is a thread to post every morning that you commit with all of us for 24hrs.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think the decision has to be made that no good comes from alcohol and that no matter what, alcohol isn't the solution.

One day at a time is how I live my life.

Giving myself a time limit (3-6 months) just wouldn't work. I don't drink any more. Full stop.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on facing the issue. I am one month and one day without a drink. Best advice is to take it one week at a time. I don't know I feel lost too. I dream about alcohol and think obsessively about it. Keep coming back here because it helps to know you are not alone.

This is way better than the shame and guilt and embarrassment my drinking caused me. Knowing that I will never blackout again is the best feeling in the world.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR.

Persistent alcohol use is an anxiety-inducing depressant. You feel like it's out of your system in a day or two, but the effects on brain chemistry last for months. If you can make it 3 or 6 months you are going to be very pleasantly surprised how much more positive you are going to feel.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 09-03-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My brain felt like it was drowning in alcohol.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks, i know its a day to day commitment and ive made the statement several times that it was the last but never really believed it was. didnt want to stop, just wanted other to believe i had changed. this is the first time that i have felt that i want to and can stop for not only the bettement of my family, friends but for myself also! thans for your comments and advise.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Cleveland

You might be relieved to know, we have all been there, well certainly I have. 100%

Your body processes alcohol differently to that of the people who can always pull up before they get proper drunk.

Alcohol seems to trigger a craving for more and more, like enough is not enough.

This is not the same reaction that occurs in the people who can pull up.

They get to a point, it starts to make them feel giddy and sick, they may not ever come out and say that, but that is why they seem happy to finish a six pack and be done with it.

I imagine you have a six pack and can't wait to start on another, or if you can muster up all your will power and stop, you feel unsatisfied and probably just tie one on within a few days.

You can stop but can't stay stopped when you do try to stop.

Might be a little painful to hear, but that is alcoholic thinking and drinking.

I'd seek help pretty quickly, it gets progressively worse and you sound like you can catch it in time before the family has enough.

Good luck
Old 09-03-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Since you picked the title, I'll give you a theme song.

Welcome!