Notices

Mood boosting supplaments

Old 09-02-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mood boosting supplaments

Yay or nay? Looking for experiences with vitamins such as St. John's wort, valerian root, etc.? I find anxiety to be very uncomfortable and am seeing a behavioral therapist. But this transition is tough (one month today) and something to ease the physical symptoms in the interim may help my quality of life significantly.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Vitamins esp b vits
Old 09-02-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Supplements. That typo is bothering me and can't figure out how to edit from my phone
Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had good results with anxiety with B vitamins, eliminating caffeine, and getting enough sleep. the universe seems a much brighter place when I've had enough sleep.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Taking something to feel better is why I am an addict. I couldn't accept my moods, I always had to "enhance" them.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

B vitamins helped a lot. Valerian, not sure if it helped. Melatonin, chamomille, and a magnesium supplement at night helped sleep. Insomnia was the worst.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you should see your Dr before taking any supplements, especially if you have other health issues or are on other medication.

I've never taken Valerian or St John's Wort so I don't know how 'mood altering' they are?
D
Old 09-02-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree. I use a good quality B complex and it helps me a lot. But like Dee said, if you are new to supplements, you need to check with your healthcare provider.

Also, maintaining a regular schedule like going to bed at the same time, getting up at the same time and EXERCISE. Exercise releases endorphins and they are THE BEST DRUG EVER!!! But you can only get 'em by exercising. Even just a walk in the park can help relieve anxiety.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i have used st. johns wort daily for more than two years. i feel it has made a huge difference for me. i did run it past a doctor, which is probably a good idea.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I take a multi-vitamin every day. I've heard that exercise really helps our moods. I have yet to try that plan though. So far my plan has been lying on the couch with a bag of Doritos!

How long have you been sober? I found that my mood slowly, slowly improved with each passing day.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I see no reason to NOT take a good vitamin/mineral regime. In my weird sobriety lethargic funk..I have somehow ceased taking what I know to be what which was a good quality high potency Vitamin Mineral Formula, 2000 mgs Vit C and 2000-3000 mg's Fish Oils (again good quality).

I ran amok last December (when I returned to drinking somewhat regularly)...have climbed back on the smart horse of regular exercise and sound nutrition since.

Next step...
Old 09-02-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I use a multi-vitamin to make sure I'm getting all the vitamins and minerals I need, and I also use sublingual melatonin to help me sleep. Neither enhances my mood per se, but I am very sleep sensitive, and if I don't get good quality sleep I'm an irritable zombie the next day.

How is your diet? Personally, I feel much better when I eat three healthy meals a day , and I cut out all added sugar and processed foods. Daily exercise really helps me stay clam and focused.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There is a very good book "7 weeks to Sobriety" which focuses on the nutritional aspects of alcoholism and recovery. Also there is a forum here on SR on fitness, health and nutrition where this type of post might get some response.

Fitness, Health, and Nutrition - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 09-03-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think you can pretty much go at it for vitamins and minerals (careful with the amount of vitamin A you intake though), but for any other supplements definitely ask your doctor. Things like Valerian, St. John's Wart, etc can have various side effects and can also interfere with other medications or medical issues. It is also really important to consider your diet when adding in those types of supplements as certain foods can affect how they work. Be careful, just because they are "natural" doesn't mean they can be freely taken.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ~Lia~ View Post
Yay or nay? Looking for experiences with vitamins such as St. John's wort, valerian root, etc.? I find anxiety to be very uncomfortable and am seeing a behavioral therapist. But this transition is tough (one month today) and something to ease the physical symptoms in the interim may help my quality of life significantly.
My vote would be nay.

I put nothing in my body but good food, water and supplement it with exercise only. Both mental and physical. If you're looking for something to ease your anxiety my suggestion would be to start moving. Join a gym. Start a business. Coach a kids soccer team. Teach an inner city kid how to read. Join a church choir. Buy a bicycle or a dog. Etcetera. Etcetera.

Life, loves the liver of it.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mary2

St. John's wort is an excellent herbal remedy for depression and b vits are great... It's a personal choice... I think supplements are fine.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Mary2

Valerian is for anxiety
Old 09-03-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

just a reminder to stick to personal experience please - recommendations/suggestions could fall under our medical advice rule, even with supplements.
10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Dee
SR
Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Mary2

Sorry in my experience.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

eerrr....no medical advice