Scared to go to my first Alanon meeting.

Old 07-21-2004, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared to go to my first Alanon meeting.

There is one tonight and I put it on my calendar but I am so nervous. What was your first time like?
Old 07-21-2004, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hi Jane

Most of us are a little nervous going to the first meeting, but please know that the people there have all come through the door at one time nervous too, so they will be ready to welcome you and make you feel at home.

You can participate as little or as much as you want to. The first 3 or 4 meetings I went to, all I did was sit crying my eyes out and feeling foolish, but the wonderful people there just handed me tissues, offered hugs, and knew that I would share when I was ready.

Those meetings saved my life. I connected with a terrific lady who had been through exactly what I was going through, and she had what I wanted....peace, serenity and happiness. She ended up being my sponsor, and even though we now live in different cities, I am blessed to still have her for my friend.

Gather up your courage, and just go. What have you got to lose? Nothing! What have you got to gain? A new and beautiful life! And you are WORTH the effort it will take.

Hugs
Ann
Old 07-21-2004, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Jane,
I cried. I felt embarrassed. I felt hope that I could get what those people at the meeting had. They were going through the same things, but they could talk about it, they could laugh, they were at peace. Take a deep breath, and think about all of us there with you. Those people have loved me until I could love myself. It is so worth it. Have a great meeting, and let us know how it goes. Hugs, Magic
Old 07-21-2004, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Doing ANYTHING the first time is scary, but once you go to a meeting, you find out that you are not the only person with the kind of problems you are facing--the problems just have different names. I hope you go, but if not, that is OK, you will go when you are ready. You will find friendly faces, caring smiles and shoulders to cry on and, Yes, even some laughter!
Please let us know if you went and how it went for you. I am betting you will go again and again.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Going to your fisrt meeting will always be a little nervous. When I went to my first meeting. I was scared to death but I walked in and I was surprised at all the people that were there. I am glad I walked through those doors 8 months ago. I was only 18 years old. Each meeting it got easier and I started to open up a lot more. Now I will talk at every meeting if i want too. It is up to you. May be it is best for now to just listen. Just listen to your heart you will know when you are ready to talk. I hope you go and that all went well.
Love,
Shana, 18
Old 07-22-2004, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jane Doe - I went to my first meeting last weekend and yes, it is a bit scary, but so are the feelings of dealing with an A and not being able to cope!

You will feel better after you get thru the first one - go girl!
Old 07-28-2004, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess I should have updated. I went and it was fine. Everyone was really nice. I would have prefered to be invisible but a lot of people came up to me and introduced themselves but I know everyone was just being nice. I am not scared to go back, which is good.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Jane,
Hey. Glad to hear your meeting went well. My Al-anon group is one of the greatest resources I have ever found. Thanks for checking in. Hugs, Magic
Old 07-28-2004, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
They call me Kim

Those people have loved me until I could love myself
how very true.....

I'd been introduced to the most kind and sincere group of people I have ever met when I first walked through the doors of the groups.

Keep going back Jane...it works if you work it...

hugz~

Kim
Old 07-29-2004, 04:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"a lot of people came up to me and introduced themselves but I know everyone was just being nice."

I am so glad you found the courage to go. I think EVERYONE could benefit from Al Anon. And no, they weren't "just being nice". No one knows better than they do what you have and are dealing with. They truely wish to help. You just have to let them in the door.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

jane

glad you made the first step and went to the meeting. first time for anything is tough. now it's done and you can go forward!