Notices

How long was your withdrawal?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long was your withdrawal?

Sadly, I relapsed over vacation. I went to the ER today, and they did fluids and gave me Ativan to help alleviate some the shakes.

They told me I would likely feel worse tomorrow. (Last drink was last night at 8 pm, so it will be 24 hours tonight.)

I remember feeling remarkably better on Day 2, but now am worried that I might be in trouble.

What has other people's experience been?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Days 2-4 were usually the worst for me. Glad you saw a doctor, each subsequent withdrawal can always be worse, so your experience in the past may not be all that relevant.

It may be too early, but have you looked back at what led up to your drinking and how you might change things moving forward?
Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mine increased to the point that I finally realizes I can't ever go back. Scott is right, withdrawal can be different every time and for everyone.

Glad you went to the ER. What they prescribed you should help. Take as instructed, to the letter. Good luck and well done!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Can withdrawal worsen on the second day?
Old 09-02-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Days 2-4 were usually the worst for me. Glad you saw a doctor, each subsequent withdrawal can always be worse, so your experience in the past may not be all that relevant.

It may be too early, but have you looked back at what led up to your drinking and how you might change things moving forward?
Very good advice.
The important point with a relapse is, in my opinion, not to feel OK with it. It was not at all OK.
Rather, it is an opportunity to examine the circumstances that surrounded it and, if at all possible, work hard to avoid them in the future.
Many people will say that they don't know what happened. It came out of the blue. That's possible, I guess, but most often not the reality.
Identifying triggers is really important when trying to achieve lasting sobriety.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My worst days were the second and third days. By day four I was usually feeling much better. See a doctor if you're concerned.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Change - withdrawal is so unpredictable and so individual that none of us can give you any guarantees at all.

If you're concerned please see your Doctor, ok?

D
Old 09-02-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

See a doctor a trained professional doctor
Old 09-02-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
Can withdrawal worsen on the second day?
Definitely. Listen to your doctors advice and take the meds as prescribed. Call or go back if you feel things are getting worse or out of control.

Lots if fluids and rest never hurts either. This could be your last withdrawal if you want it to be.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kindling for me was very real. Every withdrawal go worse. Day 2 was usually my worst. By day 4 i was coming out of it. That said, going through it for me was worth it. Sobriety is a blessing.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My acute withdrawal was about three days.

Whenever I think of my withdrawals, I have to explain: Day one was no different than any other day. The first day after my after my last drink was the exact same way I felt every other day at work or at home on weekends. The only difference was that I was not going to cure the hangover by drinking that night. I guess this means I had gone into daily withdrawals so my day 1 was nothing memorable, it was just the last day of feeling like I might have a heart attack at any moment.

Day two was 50 percent better than day 1. Day 3 was 25 percent better than day two. It took about six weeks to get the other 25 percent to feeling what I remember a normal person feeling like.

I drank every day, 12-14 standard units of alcohol. I probably should have had some medical assistance but I was sooooooo hungover and weak I found it pretty easy to just lie on the couch and act like I had the flu. I felt like I had a free three-day head start because I was so sick, drinking never even crossed my mind. There were times when I was aware that my blood pressue and/or pulse were high but nothing too worrisome. I feel like some sort of medication from the doctor would have helped tremendously to sleep and feel more at peace. I don't believe I was every in any sort of danger zone.

Yeah, the first three days were rough but just think, you only have to go through them once.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Did the ER Dr. prescribe enough Ativan to get you through 5 days of withdrawal? Did the Dr. also put you on a taper schedule which reduces the doses each day so your not going cold turkey on the Ativan? Ativan is pretty strong stuff, you should be comfortable it will make you sleep better through this detox. Go see your own Dr. if you still feel bad. By day 5-6 I was feeling much better after my last binge. Take care, drink plenty of fluids.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, for the replies. They prescribed Ativan, but I didn't take it. Went to the gym early yesterday morning, and that alleviated the anxiety.

Doing well, and back on the wagon. I appreciate coming back here. It is shameful, the relapse. But delving deep back into my tool box.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi im having bad withdrawal symptoms, vommiting and shakes my dr is ringing later so hopefully he will give me something to help. I hope to god i have the strength to keep alcohol out of my life for good.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hall65 View Post
Hi im having bad withdrawal symptoms, vommiting and shakes my dr is ringing later so hopefully he will give me something to help. I hope to god i have the strength to keep alcohol out of my life for good.
Good luck to you. Hang in there. Once we are over it, we never have to go back. Hope your doctor can help you, and be strong. Rooting for you.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

Mine used to be 5-7 days, but the last one was around 10 days. That was WAY too long to be risking it again as I was literally trapped in the house, for fear of not finding a toilet on time, if I went out. (Sorry to be graphic). It's just NOT worth it!
Hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
Sadly, I relapsed over vacation. I went to the ER today, and they did fluids and gave me Ativan to help alleviate some the shakes.

They told me I would likely feel worse tomorrow. (Last drink was last night at 8 pm, so it will be 24 hours tonight.)

I remember feeling remarkably better on Day 2, but now am worried that I might be in trouble.

What has other people's experience been?
I've been sober since Saturday. My schedule went a little something like this;

Saturday; still a bit drunk, then into severe anxiety, nausea, shaking and lethargy

Sunday; Sweats, sweats and more sweats, depression, shaking, anxiety, cramps, upset stomach, stiffness, lethargy

Monday;day sweats gone, night sweats still awful, had to get up and change
myself/the bed/put towels down about 6 times, no anxiety, slightly less depressed nausea, cramps, itching, extreme lethargy

Tuesday; Very slight night sweats, worst migraine of my life, upset stomach a little more energy, actually managed to go out briefly, a little solemn in mood

Weds; Slight headache, renewed optimism and a sense of being "cleansed" more energy than any other day and no sweats at all

today (thurs); have just woken up with a metallic taste in my mouth, feel a little spaced, but this could be a blood sugar thing... besides that not much to report

Through all this i haven't had 1/3 of my usual appetite and have lost like 4kg, so happy days

I also drank an indecent amount of water and pretty much slept the entire time and took a whole host of vitamins, i think this helped exponentially

Long story short, I'd say 5 days or 6 for me x