Notices

Can an alcoholic become a 'moderate' drinker?

Old 09-01-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lets say I quit now, and succeeded in my life etc..
Fast forward 5 years, and I have a wife and a kid and a comfortable income. One day someone gives me a expensive red wine as a present, and my wife cooks my favourite steak.. And I think "well, it has been 5 years, why can't I taste this wine" and BOOM!! Relapsed again!! That scenario terrifies me. Guess I have to take everyday as it comes and not think too much ahead :-) what do you think? I'd like to hear your experiences/stories regarding this.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had been sober twenty years when I started drinking a glass of wine in 2007. Just one glass to relax. Before I knew it, I was drinking all day, every day. No, for me it wasn't possible to be a moderate drinker again. And knowing what I know now, I wouldn't want to drink anyway.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I Think some problem drinkers can drink moderately again after a serious reset that changes their relationship with alcohol, but others can't. True alcoholics never can.

The problem is admitting and knowing which category you're in, so why risk it?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I went 6 years and a glass of wine at a wedding that put me in a death spiral for 4 years and almost killed me. Drinking and me are mutually exclusive
Old 09-01-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank after 8 yrs. of abstinence and it took me 14 to stop again.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, it can happen. I used to be a alcoholic, but now I just don't have any drive to seek alcohol. I may have champagne or wine at a wedding. For a celebration it's well worth it. Just don't seek it.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I can only tell you my personal experience. I was sober for 2 years when I bought a small bottle of vodka to deal with the stress of a new job. 10 years later I was getting such bad withdrawals from trying to quit, I had to get medical help. I won't say no one can ever moderate, but an alcoholic has about as much a chance of moderating as a pickle has of becoming a cucumber. It usually just doesn't happen and, IMO, is not worth the risk.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry but there is no moderating I don't believe there are normal drinkers

Its not normal to drink poison and if you believe there are those who moderate think about this

How many ppl go in to a place and have 1 drink and then leave ?
Normal because its not every day ? Normal because nothing bad has happened ?

Excuses waiting to happen

I don't know anyone who has had alcohol in their life and they haven't ever had nothing happened whether bad, embarrassing cringe etc
Old 09-01-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I tried after two and a half years of being sober, ive tried quiting again for over a year, another day 1 today. For me, no I cant drink moderatly.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The ovewhelming majority who try it fail and return to their regular drinking. Only you can know for sure what would happen to you, but the odds are very much against it.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by jason2 View Post
Yes, it can happen. I used to be a alcoholic, but now I just don't have any drive to seek alcohol. I may have champagne or wine at a wedding. For a celebration it's well worth it. Just don't seek it.
May I ask why you participate in a recovery forum if you are not an alcoholic "anymore" ?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

No
Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

I used to be alcoholic ??

You don't have a drive to seek alcohol yet if its a celebration you may have champagne or wine

Can i ask you is that what you have always drunk or now your not alcoholic those are 'safe drinks ?'

I ask as you don't mention drinking spirits at the bar or reception of said celebration is just the wine and champagne that is put on your table ?

Do you drink just 1 beer or you know when you have had enough now

Or is it just wine n champagne and how come you your still on this forum in the alcoholic section

?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know I can't and I'm betting **% of the people on here will answer the same way. We alcoholics don't have that off switch. Maybe someone can drink moderately once or twice but it seems almost everyone falls back into the old pattern. For me, not drinking is a lifetime achievement. I never want to go back to where I was and trying to moderate would lead me right back there.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

This type of comment has no place here. This site is not about controlled drinking and endorsing it can kill people. If you can control your drinking wonderful but ninety nine.999% of us can't
Old 09-01-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have never been able to drink moderately. I always have wanted more. It's much less stressful to just not drink.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

An acquaintance of mine is back in an inpatient alcohol rehab program after being sober for 20+ years. He went to Paris on vacation 2 years ago and "well, you know France, the carafe of wine was on the table at every meal.....". He thought he could just have a glass or two "doing in Rome as the Roman's do".. but even after 20 years found that one glass led to another..... and now serious illness and legal problems.

Most people will tell you they can not do it.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
May I ask why you participate in a recovery forum if you are not an alcoholic "anymore" ?
Thank you Scott I was scratching my head there as well

Makes me think what lenght will an alcoholic go to have a drink ???

I have seen this a few times before
Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

NO
you have changed your brain chemistry. You now have too much accelerator and not enough brake. Its just plain ole denial to think that you can one day. Funny how we all have to find out the hard way, except for you, because you just asked the question and got the answer!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

We need to understand the difference between a problem or heavy drinker who can quit and wasn't addicted. An addicted person can never go back to controlled drinking. There are no such things as being Alcoholic one day and not the next day. Problem drinker, heavy drinker yes, but addiction is for life. Don't ask me how I know.