Notices

Back Where I Started?

Old 08-31-2014, 11:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back Where I Started?

Hi, I guess that I know the answer to my question but I will throw it out there anyway.
I was a pretty regular visitor to SR, having made a decision to give up alcohol in 2012. With some difficulty I didn't drink for 12 months, then began again. On the basis that I would monitor my drinking, keep a record etc....
My drinking has probably reduced compared with the past, I am much more in control, generally.
My old problem was binge drinking, usually nights out which ended in a loss of control and sometimes horrendous blackouts. I was also just drinking regularly, too much.
Through this year of drinking I have had 3 or 4 ''blackouts' , more severe and unexpected than those I have had in the past. Generally my drinking is much improved, but the same old issue raises itself. 5 or 6 lost hours and depending on others to fill in the gaps.
I can do all the usual positive stuff, like not drink for weeks, just have one drink, go out and not drink. It's just the odd blackout! They tend to come when I am with other big drinkers and I feel too secure in my ability to stop.
Do I just give it up again?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Will - good to see you again

Blackouts are kinda the sign you've crossed the point of no return...at least they were for me....I believe once you start having them you won't having them unless you stop drinking.

D
Old 09-01-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Glad you are ok. Glad you are back. Have no hard advice, however, what good will come of it? Be the best that you can be
Old 09-01-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back

I've found from multiple attempts at moderation that it is just as exhausting as being a full blown daily drinker, the obsession was still there, therefore I was not actually dealing with the problem.

Blackouts are not to be messed with however and are an omen that you may want to quit for good. They terrify me, the sheer guilt of whatever I'd got up to while in one took me at least a week to get over.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrG View Post
Welcome back

I've found from multiple attempts at moderation that it is just as exhausting as being a full blown daily drinker, the obsession was still there, therefore I was not actually dealing with the problem.

Blackouts are not to be messed with however and are an omen that you may want to quit for good. They terrify me, the sheer guilt of whatever I'd got up to while in one took me at least a week to get over.
It in a nutshell. Even if not got up to anything guilt is there.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome back will
Old 09-01-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by Will69 View Post
Hi, I guess that I know the answer to my question but I will throw it out there anyway.
I was a pretty regular visitor to SR, having made a decision to give up alcohol in 2012. With some difficulty I didn't drink for 12 months, then began again. On the basis that I would monitor my drinking, keep a record etc....
My drinking has probably reduced compared with the past, I am much more in control, generally.
My old problem was binge drinking, usually nights out which ended in a loss of control and sometimes horrendous blackouts. I was also just drinking regularly, too much.
Through this year of drinking I have had 3 or 4 ''blackouts' more severe and unexpected than those I have had in the past Generally my drinking is much improved, but the same old issue raises itself. 5 or 6 lost hours and depending on others to fill in the gaps.
I can do all the usual positive stuff, like not drink for weeks, just have one drink, go out and not drink. It's just the odd blackout! They tend to come when I am with other big drinkers and I feel too secure in my ability to stop.
Do I just give it up again?
You're right, I think you do know the answer to this

Alcoholism is progressive. Those blackouts will get more frequent and more severe and could cost you more than you'd ever want to pay.

Freedom is the way to go - let us help you find it, my friend
Old 09-01-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Hi, I guess that I know the answer to my question
You're right, you know the answer. What's keeping you from pursuing it?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I went through similar, Will. Did you learn your number? Mine is six.

More than six drinks/beers/wines and I was susceptible to a blackout. You know the problem? Four or five was usually enough to bring on the Fugget's. I'd fugget to count, fugget to stop, just fugget to care. Whomp!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Will. I gave up alcohol in 2010 and managed not to drink for five months. I decided to moderate after that. Just like you I could go without fir a while, then drink some, then go without ...but it would catch me off guard at times and I would end up having blackouts too.

When life hit me hard I would find the excuse to go on week long binges. It's like what Mr G says. The obsession to drink is still there.

Trying to moderate for four years is exhausting, I am trying to quit for good now. My self worth has rocketed since! Can't beat living life sober.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Blacking out is very scary!!! You may not have done anything bad to yourself or others yet but that's because you have been very lucky so far!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I went through similar, Will. Did you learn your number? Mine is six.

More than six drinks/beers/wines and I was susceptible to a blackout. You know the problem? Four or five was usually enough to bring on the Fugget's. I'd fugget to count, fugget to stop, just fugget to care. Whomp!
I have said many times in the past that I used to lose my 'off button' after 5 pints. So I guess my number is 5.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The problem with alcoholism is it only gets worse never the same or better.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have said many times in the past that I used to lose my 'off button' after 5 pints. So I guess my number is 5.
My number is 0. It is not the caboose that kills you it is the engine
Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Blackouts are terrifying and dangerous. I am actually amazed that I didn't wind up assaulted, arrested or both.

Once that starts to happen I believe the imaginary line is crossed and there is not going back to "normal". The possibility of blackout alone is enough to keep me sober.

I've blacked out after heavy drinking BUT also after just 2 glasses of wine (at least those are the only 2 I remember). My brain is obviously not able to handle alcohol safely.

I wish you the best and hope you never have another blackout again. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.