Notices

I keep trying and losing.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I keep trying and losing.

I know my routine. 5pm dinner, 6pm wine. This site is great for talking about booze and confessing my failures, but I really need some help. The weekends are bad enough on their own. I mean that's when "everyone" drinks. But this weekend, seeing Facebook friends at the beach and Labor Day weekend parties made it even harder. It seems like every Monday or every Friday there's a reason to push sobriety off to next week.

I don't know if I can face a group of strangers to deal with this, at least not at first. But I know I need something. It's really hard to go on a forum like this to confront my problems, because when I drink at home I tend to go on local forums and message boards to entertain myself. I need some kind of three dimensional interaction outside the bar, and at 38, I don't know where to find new friends. People keep saying AA, but I'm just so scared. In the mean time I know I'm hurting my body and my mind. I just don't know what to do.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

This was just posted in another thread:

Originally Posted by Tina1234 View Post
Guess what i did today...i went to my very first AA meeting. I am crying right now from being so overwhelmed. Why i didnt go earlier, why waited for so long? It was nothing like i imagined, it was million times better. It was open public speaking, after the meeting everyone started to chat, i felt lost so i decided to leave. I was almost out when woman yelled "excuse me, can i talk to you for a second" I said that it's my first time and start crying. She asked me to go back to chat and introduce me to others. She made me feel comfortable welcome and yes not alone. If she didn't stop me, i ounesly dont know if wouod go back. People were so nice to me, i got 3 phone numbers. Im going back tomorrow, one of the ladies will be there to support me that i dont feel too overwhelmed. If you just like me have a strong fear of AA meeting, please i am bagging you, go to the meeting, try it, just once...I had to drive twice before i stopped the car and forced myself to go in. So,I'm kind a proud of myself and thought to share
Old 08-31-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
This was just posted in another thread:
Thanks. I know it's just taking that first step that's so hard.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Taking a hiatus from Facebook won't hurt either...I took what I planned to be a temporary one and next thing knew it was 3 years later and I didn't miss it a bit.

AA is worth a try for anyone, especially if you need some local support. It's common to be scared, but the reality is we should be far more terrified of that will happen if we don't seek help.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Taking a hiatus from Facebook won't hurt either...I took what I planned to be a temporary one and next thing knew it was 3 years later and I didn't miss it a bit.
I did the same thing. It helps me to pull back from all things social (especially social media/even texting). Finding quiet and calming moments where i'm in control of the environment.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think stepping away from Facebook and drinking friends/situations could be very beneficial for you to get sober.

It involves so much more than just not drinking.

If you want and need more face-to-face contact, and you don't want to use AA, maybe you try talking to a therapist.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had similar feelings about AA.

What if someone sees me going in (no one did)
What if they are all sad old guys in dirty clothes sitting consoling each other about how miserable life is without booze (they weren't... Some of the older ladies there reminded me of my Mum and her friends)
What if I get asked to speak (I didn't)
If you do, you can just say "just checking this out, thanks but no thanks "

The only thing that disturbed me was how normal they all looked.

And I got some hope, that if they could do it, so could I

I do recall thinking some of the ones that said they hadn't drunk for 20 or more years might have been boasting a making up stuff to impress me, but I believed the ones that said they hadn't drank for a year or two, that was all I wanted..... At first

Let us know how you get on and all the best.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think some of the best things I've ever done have seriously felt like jumping off a cliff. Getting dry, for me, is like that in so many ways. I wonder if you're not expecting/allowing things to happen outside your comfort zone?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you tried online meetings Philly?...I've never tried them but maybe they might be a soft entry into the whole idea?

D
Old 09-01-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have you tried online meetings Philly?...I've never tried them but maybe they might be a soft entry into the whole idea?

D
And a really good way to relate in early sobriety
Old 09-01-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

theres an option on facebook. I can block or unfriend people that post things that bother me.
walking into my 1st meeting was the hardest thing I ever did. but it was the best thing I ever did,too.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by philly76 View Post

People keep saying AA, but I'm just so scared
we need to understand
(bottom line) there are many just like us there

when we get sick and tired of being sick and tired
we will try anything so as to get and stay sober

this is if we are still breathing

MM
Old 09-18-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I made it a week because I pushed myself and a friend helped by texting me around 8PM each night. The following week, not so good. I rationalized the hell out of drinking. I'm glad to know I can do it, just frustrated with the boredom that comes with being sober.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of the time what we identify as boredom is just not being wasted and the discomfort and unfamiliarity of that

The things that helped pass the time when drinking like sitting on the couch channel surfing don;t cut the mustard when we're sober.

We need a new life...new things to do, new challenges.

It doesn't fall into your lap and it's hard work especially at the beginning, but it is absolutely worth it Philly

D
Old 09-19-2014, 02:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I found that it wasn't really boredom that was created by not drinking, but instead that my life was already pretty boring, by taking out drinking, I didn't really do much else, and so I needed to discover what I was interested in, carve out a new lifestyle, build a new life for myself with new activities.

You can turn this around!!