Notices

Are alcoholics greedy?

Old 08-30-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm wondering if anyone else has been told their addiction is greedy? I was told this. I can see where a non alcoholic is coming from but I personally don't feel greedy. Maybe messed up and flawed. I'd give the shirt off my back to help someone in need. I worked everyday even when I felt like a waste of space. I never ran from my problems. I took full responsibility for the heartache I caused. But I also felt it. The damage hurts. Am I greedy?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think I was more selfish than greedy when I was drinking. It was all about me, me, me. I certainly wasn't thinking of anyone else when I was drinking, planning to drink, or hungover from the night before. It was all about me getting drunk. The greediness entered the picture when there was another drinker around, I suppose, because I always made damn sure I got more than my fair share! I drank alone 90% of the time, so the greed factored in very little ... but selfish ... yep for sure.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dont see greedy. I am very generous and try to help others. I was real generous when i was drinking.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Yes, I'll put up my hand to greedy, but just that, not selfish.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

My addiction had nothing to do with greed, and everything to do with insatiability and lack of control.

D
Old 08-31-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you weren't greedy as an alcoholic, you weren't doing it right. (kidding)

Seriously though...... Did any of your drinking buddies develop an aversion to "sharing" a bottle of spirits with you or splitting a case of beer?

Mine did and with good reason.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are countless adjectives to describe an "alcoholic". I'm sure they all apply at least one time or another.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Once the switch is flipped with a single sip, I'm drinking to black. All bets are off. I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt, that I have zero control once any alcohol enters my system. And I will drink mine , yours, theirs, AND their leftovers complete with lipstick on the glass.

Sure, we can call it greed if you like.

Or addiction.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Once the switch is flipped with a single sip, I'm drinking to black. All bets are off. I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt, that I have zero control once any alcohol enters my system. And I will drink mine , yours, theirs, AND their leftovers complete with lipstick on the glass.

Sure, we can call it greed if you like.

Or addiction.
Pretty much this. I can see how a non-addict would see our actions as greed but the truth is addiction has nothing to do with greedyness.

I think you can be a greedy/selfish person and be an addict or not, it really doesn't matter anymore than having long or short hair, or what football team you support. It can happen to anyone.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I was selfish and self centered. I can see where it would look like greed to others.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am self-centered, but not greedy or selfish. It is easy to be self-centered as I live alone, I am retired, I have no children, my closest friends have families they are very involved with. I have a group of social friends that I limit my time with. I am so self-centered and proud that I like them to think I have a much more active life than I do. My best friends were Miller Lite and white zinfandel for many years. Today is Day 16 for me; I have not gone more than 5 days AF in at least ten years. In the past 25 years the longest I have gone is 56 days. That was when I "realized" I had everything under control and could socially drink again! HUH!
Old 08-31-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love words, and this got me thinking, because I was wondering the roots of the word greed and if it actually gets used correctly.
Good old Wikipedia had this little tidbit: "Erich Fromm described greed as "a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.""

Although we usually ascribe greed to monetary gain, I suppose using the above statement, most alcoholics are greedy. They hide, hoard, collect, and lie for a personal gain for a need that really can never be satisfied.

Interesting. I was thinking more along the lines of selfish as well, until I really considered the word.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We are a large group of people coming together with different characteristics. Me greedy, yes! When drinking I wanted more, more and more. Once under the influence of alcohol many of our non drinking characteristics change, we get super egos, get angry, combative, dishonest and on and on.
Remember alcohol is POWERFUL.

BE WELL
Old 08-31-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I was selfish as I put my drinking above and beyond everything else for many years. I can absolutely see how others would call me greedy because of that.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I was selfish as I put my drinking above and beyond everything else for many years. I can absolutely see how others would call me greedy because of that.
Yes this
Old 08-31-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For me it was more a factor of:

"OK, so I NEED to drink. However I go about getting that done doesn't necessarily matter at this point."

And many times greed would be a good word to describe my actions when actively drinking. I'm going to do whatever I need to do to get more.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Waterfalls2014 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone else has been told their addiction is greedy? I was told this. I can see where a non alcoholic is coming from but I personally don't feel greedy. Maybe messed up and flawed. I'd give the shirt off my back to help someone in need. I worked everyday even when I felt like a waste of space. I never ran from my problems. I took full responsibility for the heartache I caused. But I also felt it. The damage hurts. Am I greedy?
Most accurately for me = selfish, a subset of which is greed. Greed for more of Everything. Including a greed to give more gifts/stuff to others thus making up for being absent while present.

Alcohol is a rapacious creditor.....
Old 08-31-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was very "generous"- I would do whatever I had to to make sure there was enough alcohol for me- if that meant buying a rounds all night for someone else so I didn't have to drink alone, fine. Completely about me, yet again. Drinking because "I deserved it." Me time, because "I earned it." Anything to shut out responsibility, accountability. Selfish like crazy.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

I was pretty ***** up in lots of ways only I didn't see. Still working on them.

Last edited by Dee74; 08-31-2014 at 03:29 PM. Reason: rule 9