Notices

Tired of feeling like this...

Old 08-30-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired of feeling like this...

Hello everyone. I'm 38, and have drank too much for as long as I can remember. I'm sick of feeling like this, sick of hangovers and feeling ashamed. At the moment I only drink on the weekends, but it's binge drinking, far too much. My husband (who I love with all my heart) is also a heavy drinker and I think we've both been kidding ourselves that our bodies can take these weekend binges. Both our fathers were alcoholics, my husband's dad died at the age of 64 after years of serious health problems. My dad, currently 67, is awaiting a quadruple heart bypass and has just found out he also has a tumour in his stomach. He gave up alcohol two years ago, but it was obviously too late. Life has caught up with him, or should I say lifestyle.

The thing is, I don't want to end up like that. I'm worried that at 38 it's too late and I've done too much damage to my body already. I need to stop though,but I don't know if I'm strong enough :-(

Advice and help please
Old 08-30-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome RedDragonfly. It's never too late to change, and you definitely can quit if you want to. SR is a great place to find support and also learn about all the different recovery methods. I finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired too, best of luck to you.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

RedDragonfly, 38 is young and giving up the booze now might prevent serious health problems in the future, rootin for ya.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi RedDragon, I am 38 and in perfect health. I drank very heavily for 20 years. Had a few hospitalizations including alcoholic hepatitis and ulcers. Within a few months of no booze, I was fitter than ever. 38 is not too late!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I could relate to you post and no way is 38 too late. I was 39 and the thought of continuing drinking to oblivion every weekend into my 40s sounded more and more pathetic. I was sick and tires of being sick and tired. Always planning the next drink, being hungover, then in withdrawal. I only had one day a week where I felt back to "normal", then it was time to drink again and it started all over again. It's much much less exhausting living sober. It's the hardest think you will probably ever do, but life is so much better without it. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replies. It means so much. Had a good cry to my husband and told him we can't go on like this. He agrees and suggests we do this together one day at a time. He suggested that we join the local gym, so it'll give us an option at the weekend rather than our usual pub visits.

I think he was quite shocked I was so upset, but I can't tell you how ashamed I feel. Alcohol has caused so many problems in my life and I don't want to be ruled by it anymore.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are so lucky you have each other to do this. It is going to be twice as hard to do, but 4 times better when it's over.

I'm 40 days in and I can't believe, just seeing it the past few weeks, how much better life is....and how I can enjoy stuff like music......sober, I have headphones on right now......I didn't even do that drunk.......oh right this is about you

You are not too old. By the time you are 40, you won't recognize yourself......
Old 08-30-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck!!!!! You guys can do this!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!
Old 08-31-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome just want you to know that your going to feel a lot better soon just got to work out a plan to keep you sober
Old 08-31-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR reddragonfly - how are you doing today?

D
Old 08-31-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You two hit that gym. Then enjoy your Sobriety in body and mind. Come back here often

Bunnez