Notices

Living reality and in the moment for the first time

Old 08-30-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Living reality and in the moment for the first time

I want to start off by thanking who ever created this website and all the people that post here. The level of support of you guys to one another just left me speechless. I thought I was alone and that's what alcohol does to you it keeps you away and bobbled up in your own reality which you created to make yourself not deal with problems or most of all yourself.

2 years straight, drinking bottle of vodka a day, wake up, and drink again to avoid the hang over. Took a month off not really to try and quit but to show people that I have will power and I'm a strong, tough, better, smarter individual hahaha what a load of shite that was. Then 1 year again, drinking everyday but this time my body could tolerate and wanted more alcohol. 1 bottle and a half everyday, of cheap disgusting vodka, drinking straight which didn't help my throat but next day hey throat hurting, my insides feels like someone poured fuel and lit it on fire and the headache was like listening to the song friday 24/7 for 50 years. ( Np just buy 4 bottles and your good). I wouldn't throw the empty bottles due to the shame, don't want anyone to find out how much I drink, myself included.

One day I had this horrible hangover and searched "how to get rid of a hangover quick" cause I had **** to do. And then I stumbled on this site, which changed my life and will continue to change my life. Read your stories, related to them and some of them I was sure i will relate to them in the future if I continue drinking like this. So i made the decision, cold turkey, first step throw the empty bottles, that's when I broke down and knew I was an alcoholic.

The withdrawal was horrible lasted 4 days, but honestly that was the best decision Ive ever made in my life, I don't want to waste your time listing the pros of being sober as there are other threads listing them.

Living reality and in the moment for the first time I feel, I forgot how that felt. Been sober for 8 days now, not counting the 4 days of hell.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's amazing Hash! Lots of people including myself find a lot of support here at SR. Do you have a plan to check out any other support groups? Ie. AA or therapy or anything else?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
birddog

Congratulations. You can do it. I found this site two days ago. I woke up and went right to the computer to find an AA meeting and I found this site. We all need to hang in there. We can do this.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello nice to meet you

Welcome

You can do it !
Old 08-30-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Hash and welcome. It sounds like you are on your way. You might want to think about joining the Sept 2014 class which you will see posted on Monday. It is for all the people who are looking to quit in September. It is a nice way to get to know some others who are sort of in the same throes…

You are right, SR is a great source of support. It also helped educate me, and helped me not feel so alone. It is great to have a 24/7 respite. It is no small feat to get sober in a drinking world, but we are among the (sadly) small percentage of people who are serious about getting and staying sober.

That is something else that is important about SR. Everyone is here of their own volition, not because they were court ordered or trying to appease a loved one. So you get a lot of honesty and introspection. Glad to have you on board!

PS: you also might want to think about joining the August 2014 class since you are already so far in…either way it can be helpful.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you so much Hash for that great post.

I found SR the same way you did. Was looking for help with health issues caused by drinking. I started reading and I was hooked - never thinking it would lead to me being sober. I never left.

I'm glad you are here and on your way to reclaiming your life. I love your positive attitude, filled with hope. You can do this.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Bunnez
Old 08-30-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guy, love it.

Mrryah, No AA, no therapist, no doctor. My therapy is jujitsu, but it was horrible going back to the gym and facing my friends,my instructor. The feeling of embarrassment cause they knew whether it was alcohol or drugs that distanced me from jujitsu and them. I was trembling the whole time and to be honest they had that look of like what happened to you cause I was out of shape. But once we started rolling it was like nothing ever happened, we went out after it. The next day i came, my instructor told me " If you feel u want to do again you call me and we go out and talk till u forget". So yeah, plus I already got a 24/7 AA thanks to you guys and this site.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't stumble upon this site until about 4-5 days from day 0, it was totally by accident as well...... i had BARELY gotten any sleep for several days and didn't know why ( like 2-3 hours sleep total for the whole week), feeling horrible and with some random Google searches using the keywords "severe insomnia" i randomly stumbled upon SoberRecovery. I would say it was a complete coincidence, at the time i had no idea that what was actually happening to me and the reason for the bizarre and severe insomnia was that i was going through "alcohol withdrawal" and that it was potentially deadly.

I can't remember if it was a direct link or if this site was linked from somewhere else, but i got here that's what matters

A veritable goldmine of information, i try to drop by every couple days even if just to lurk.

Knowledge truly is the "light" that illuminates these various "addictions" and keeps us safe going forward.

oh, and welcome to the OP i definitely share your appreciation of this site
Old 08-30-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm 40 days ish. Reading at 12:30 and under the covers......I wonder where I'd be without this place........still at 40? Perhaps passed out at 40 minutes?

I'll never know......but I know I'm clean and here.....
Old 08-30-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

welcome. Brilliant decision!!