Notices

is an all inclusive holiday possible to survive? HOW?

Old 08-30-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question is an all inclusive holiday possible to survive? HOW?

hi guys, this is very new and raw for me, my journey began on Thursday only. first time attempt after my all time low :-(. we had previously booked 2 weeks all inclusive in mexico for December, im thinking the temptation of this holiday will be too much. the thought of any type of holiday seems so daunting, I struggled to make it today. am taking it hour by hour at the moment. this holiday has been booked for months but I am willing to change it. Im from the UK. what hints, tips advice would you guys have if any regarding vacation ideas for me and my boyfriend. he is honouring my sobriety although he has no addiction. thank you!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you can change the date as you mention, I would highly recommend it.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

If you think it will be too much is it worth the risk

You must honestly ask yourself this sounds like you got a caring supportive bf who will understand and will more likely honor you more for putting your sobriety first

Have a good chat with your bf explain how you really feel and you should find an answer during the conversation

Good luck in everything you do
Old 08-30-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd definitely change it. That sounds like biting off way more than you can chew right now.

Later on, you'll be able to go anywhere and do anything and it won't bother you...but for now, I'd go gently

welcome to SR

D
Old 08-30-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you all, I know you are right, I just don't know what else to book, a differnet holiday, he shouldn't miss out omn a break, and god knows I need one, but it has to be something without temptation, I may not be strong enough, I have a rock by my side who is happy to change the holiday, I really appreaciate your advice, ive never done this before and im scared and emotional and its huge.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

find out if there are Friends of Bill W. or AA meetings in that trip, maybe AA is there and waiting for ya
Old 08-30-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wonder if your travel agent, if you used one, could recommend a trip to Mexico that is geared toward non drinkers. I have found Cancun and that area to be heavily slanted toward alcohol. Puerto Vallarta however not so much. Still a risk, but you are to be commended for being willing to change your plans to maintain your sobriety.

Here is a website that might help you, I know Nothing about it, just ran across it.

sober travelers : vacations, retreats and getaways for those in recovery
Old 08-30-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Pink,
Wow, Mexico in winter, that sounds absolutely fantastic! And its good that you have a supportive BF. I have just about 4mo Sobriety, so I can't speak for you in your shoes...but I would venture to say that by December, maybe you will be so excited about your vaca and its 1000s of other perks that you may forego that urge to drink. Think about all the things you are going to want to remember!!! And whether you decide to keep the vaca as scheduled or change the date, do find a meeting down there....on the beach, maybe....in the sunshine and warm....I'm a bit jealous . Check in with us and post your pics!

Hang in there

Bunnez
Old 08-30-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DAB

Wow, an all inclusive vacation would be hard for me to resist sneaking a drink or two.
If it were me, I would change it. I'm not saying it would be impossible, but the temptation of having pre-paid drinks everywhere... It's all I'd be thinking about.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DAB

Oh, and by the way, that drink or two would turn into a vacation long bender that may not end when I'd return home.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would absolutely change it.

I am almost two years in now and I still struggle with vacations more than anything else. We went to Montreal recently and I was fine, but tropical destinations are rough for me and I'd imagine the Mexico trip you described would have a similar vibe.

Don't test yourself unnecessarily so early in your journey.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If it were me I would postpone it. I try to stay away from temptation as much as possible, indefinitely.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I spent a holiday at an all-inclusive in Barbados a few years ago. My girlfriend at the time was with me. This was probably during the height of my alcoholism and I spent a week drinking from the moment I awoke to the moment I crashed in my room at night. I was ordering gin and tonics at 8am with my bacon and eggs. By noon everyday, I was smashed and could only sit on a lounger in the shade. My poor girlfriend was left to go swimming, jet-skiing, and exploring on her own.

An all-inclusive is paradise for an alcoholic like me. Not only is the alcohol unlimited, but you can get away with drinking all day and not have to worry about life back home and pretty much everyone else there is drunk all day too.

For the sober me, an all-inclusive is the worst place on earth. I suggest you consider changing plans.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There is no possible way on this planet I could go to a all in in Mexico and not drink. I sort of think of them as a place to drink in the sun. One thought would be to cancel it and rebook another vacation, even in the same area where you at least have to pay for the liquor. It might be enough of a barrier to give you a chance to not drink.
We stopped going to all ins because all we did was hit it from breakfast till 2 then nap til 5 and then dinner till dark. It would take three days to feel normal after 10 days in the resort.
Just my opinion. But if you booked at another place where they did not have everything all in it is usually quite a bit cheaper, but then you don't get all that lovely food. Nothing like hitting the sushi bars and getting full!!

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you must have a break, make it one that doesn't include drinking. Go somewhere different.

welcome to SR!
Old 08-30-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have nothing to add pinklinzangel. Best of luck and enjoy your decision.

I just wanted to thank NorMar for that link. Got it bookmarked.

Oh, congratulations on your soberness and welcome to the forum.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Here's another. I hope posting external links is not frowned upon here, if so I am sorry.

www.sobercelebrations.com

Might be a good idea if anyone has any personal experiences with these sites in the future to post them. I only found them by google, not recommending them in any way. They seem ok though.

www.sobervacations.com

Last edited by NorMar; 08-30-2014 at 08:16 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-30-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I went to an all-inclusive last summer (buying an all-inclusive was cheaper than not, so that's the route I chose and don't regret it) on the Mexican Rivera and had some amazing non-alcoholic drinks. I kept busy with activities during the day (horseback riding, snorkelling, working out, massages). I wasn't tempted at all. I had coffee and fresh juice delivered to my room and enjoyed the tropical setting each morning. I was by myself and looked at it as a personal retreat. I just didn't consider drinking as an option. I quite enjoyed myself.

HOWEVER, you know yourself and if you feel like you won't be ready by then and can change your plans, then I'd do it. I had far more sober time than you will have by December, so there's that too. I'm glad you have the support of your boyfriend no matter what you decide.

Just thought I'd pop in and say it can be done and be enjoyable but you have to make sure that drinking just isn't a part of your life anymore in order to not be resentful or struggle (or relapse!) on your much needed holiday.

Good luck and stay sober--it's worth it, hon!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I go to Aruba and here is how I do it. First I do not do all inclusive. I have a little cooler for my Ice tea and diet soda which I stock daily from the local store. I find a spot on the beach away from the bar. The waiters see the cooler and don't bug me for drinks. Evenings are exploring and eating at the great restaurants. While there is alcohol at the resturants the food is so good it doesnt bother me. Days are the beach or tourist stuff that doesn't involve alcohol. Vacations are tough but with a little planning it is not hard to avoid alcohol
Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just went to Club Med in Cancun. It was booked months before I went sober. I managed but it was hard. I arranged a tennis lesson at 8:30am in the morning, that seemed to help.

But if you can change it, that would be ideal. Just reading the above posts, I think I would avoid all-inclusive in future.