Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My best friend is dying of liver failure. I have to quit this.

Notices

Old 08-30-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I visited my best friend, best man in my wedding, friend for 20 years. The whites of his eyes were the color of egg yolks. He could barely speak coherently. He was white as a ghost. His once huge build is now like a frail old man even though he's only 36. last night I dreamt that I had liver failure as well and I died. My eyes were the same color as his. I am so sick of this....

I'm going to do this. I'm going to fight the fight that my friend has lost. I hope things turn around for him more than anything but it is looking really, really bad. So young to not experience life. I wanted to know him as an old man. So we could go fishing again. So he could watch my kids grow and they could know him not as a friend but as an uncle. Now I only see him in a wooden box underground because of this stupid thing called addiction. I see myself helping carry him out while we wait to bury him. All of this just so we could feel good by using a poison that eventually will drive us to the grave. It's not fun and games anymore. It's death. This is the evil hidden face of addiction.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Everything you say about addiction is true. What a wonderful tribute to him it would be for you to save yourself from the same fate. You can do this and you will find a lot of support here.

Welcome to SR.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am sorry for your loss. Keep posting, Jude
Old 08-30-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I'm sorry about your friend. I lost two to alcoholism.
I hope he recovers and I hope you use this as a catalyst to quit.
Best to you.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Everything you say about addiction is true. What a wonderful tribute to him it would be for you to save yourself from the same fate. You can do this and you will find a lot of support here.

Welcome to SR.
WOW that is so true.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry about your friend.

Taking addiction seriously was my problem for a long time. Heck, I thought I was young and by body could handle it. Truth is that Alcohol is poison to our bodies.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello hope sorry about what is currently happening there is a great friends and family section where you might want to post also I wasn't clear on are you drinking yourself ?

Really sorry don't know what to say were all here for you if your choosing to get well
Old 08-30-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My heart breaks for you and your friend. Your words were so moving, I had to write them down and keep them somewhere for myself as a reminder.

You can enjoy a beautiful life in sobriety, of that I'm sure. Best of luck to you, we're all here right by your side.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So sorry for your friend, welcome to this site, your words are powerful and spell out the seriousness of this horrible addiction- Im 33 now and have been guilty of the 'it'll never happen to me' attitude and know no-one is immune to this- we're playing Russian roulette with our lives every time we pick up that poison.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So Sorry...My 2 closest friends with whom I've drank enough beer to float a battleship are still heavy drinkers. I got sober 4 years ago. I fear the worst for them, but know it is useless to say anything. Best of luck, post every day.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you are losing a friend to addiction. Do save yourself.

This is a great place to help you get started.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi dredg, so sorry about your friend, keep strong and if you're determined to stop you can do this. We are here to help.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am sorry about your friend Dredg - but getting sober would not only be a great thing for you, but a great way to honour him too.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 08-30-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Dredg.

It is awful about your friend - I'm so sad for you both. You're doing a great thing by facing what needs to be done in your own life. I hope you'll stay with us and keep posting.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dredg, Welcome. I am so very sorry for your friend being so gravely ill, from alcoholism. its heartbreaking .

SR is a wonderful help.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Dredg,

I survived liver failure almost 4 months ago. I was just as your friend is when I was admitted to ICU. I almost needed an emergency liver transplant and almost didn't survive. But I did, and woudn't wish this death on anyone, it is not a clean death. I am so lucky to have lived and am now Sober and healthy, with my own liver healing. My Sobriety began with Divine Intervention, I believe. I will keep you and your friend in my prayers.

There is a way out. You can do this. God bless you.

Bunnez
Old 08-30-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

"Die Naturally"

They're gonna put me in the movies
They're gonna make a big star out of me
We'll make a film about a man once sad and lonely
And all I gotta do is die naturally

Live long and prosper.