Notices

Alcohol Advice

Old 08-29-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Advice

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I was looking for some advice regarding me and alcohol.

I'm 22 years old and I've pretty much always been your typical binge drinker. Well until about a year ago, when I actually started drinking alcohol for pleasure with my dinner and things like that.

But even when I was binge drinking, even at university where people drink themselves silly, all my friends and classmates said I drank way too much. I honestly didn't know when to stop. I always had the attitude of, "If I'm going to have one, I may as well get totally annihilated" - and I always did, I'd make myself sick but carry on anyway.

And I was doing stupid things when I was drunk - its the reason I lost quite a few close friends and thats why I decided to pack it in altogether.

I didn't ever think I had a problem as such, but since I stopped drinking a month ago, I think I've realised that maybe I did. My family drink quite a lot, so when we're eating at night, there's always alcohol at the table - I hate it! Its so hard to stop myself from grabbing a drink (I haven't caved yet, thankfully).

But when I'm around it, I crave it quite badly. I'm not hanging around with my friends a lot anymore because I can't bring myself to go into a pub or a club because I honestly don't think I'd be able to stop myself, but I haven't told them I'm not drinking anymore, I don't want to be judged or ridiculed.

So I guess I probably need to know if people think I've got a problem? And if I'm doing the right thing about it? Ideally I'd like to get to a point where I can drink like normal people and not have to get plastered every time I have a beer!

Any help anyone could offer would be much appreciated!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

I don't think "normal" drinkers crave alcohol and normal drinkers don't have to avoid it to avoid drinking to a stupor. Since you do, you aren't a normal drinker and are unlikely to turn into one.

Resist the temptation to test this premise, because it just get harder (to quit) the longer one drinks.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Typically, if lots of people around you are letting you know there's a problem, then you likely do have a real problem. If you're drinking more than 2-3 on occasion, and as you've said, doing some things you regret and losing friends... well, I'm pretty sure you have a drinking problem. It sounds so familiar, because the very same thing happened to me at your age! Exactly the same. I was a binge drinker, drinking way too much and not realizing it was too much, and doing some very stupid things... while all my friends around me were telling me I needed to SLOW down with the drinking.

It's good you are trying to quit now! Please take it seriously... as times goes on, the drinking gets worse and the problems get worse.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most people that can't control their drinking can't ever drink like normal people. If alcohol is a problem, it is best just to not drink. Lots of people never drink. No onou e really cares what you do or don't drink as long as you don't get drunk and make a fool of yourself. I just tell people I don't drink. One drink does nothing for me, and after one drink I can't quit. Sooooooo.......I don't drink. Drinking like a normal person would mean one drink would make you feel good and you would not need another. It is not going to happen. I am happy to get my glass of ice water with lemon. One glass is all I need. I hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was also told by others of my exploits at age 22 and earlier--wish I had done something about it then>
Old 08-29-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. It’s a situation only you can determine if you’re an alcoholic. Take a measurement of the things alcohol consumption has given you positively and then measure the negatives.
I found that I cannot drink alcohol in safety, it’s that simple, no labels just honest.

BE WELL