Notices

Day 2- stepping up to the real world

Old 08-28-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2- stepping up to the real world

Second day here

My first day I got off work because I didn't want work to see me in that state, but today I'm back (only 4 hours covering a guy) and it feels like a brand new challenge.

I needed yesterday, I needed to sit on my sofa comfort eating watching tv all day to make it through. But now it's time to discharge myself from the imaginary hospital bed in my living room, get myself to the doctors, go to work and for the first time in a long, long time, see the world outside my home through sober eyes .

I still look tired, but inside there's a fire burning inside of me that's been extinguished for nearly a decade. I've never felt so awake.

Oh, and I threw that last beer away.

Tom.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The first few days were nothing short of a Twilight Zone episode for me. My body was walking and talking but I was little more than a zombie with a pulse. My excitability factor was all over the map.. Up and down, wanting to laugh then wanting to cry (and doing both!). Extreme relief and hope with bouts of rage and depression. I found that being at work helped.

During the first week I had to remind myself of how strong I was to get through the work day. I had gotten through thousands of days at work with a mega hangover so why stop the torture now? When I say torture I mean the sheer grit to get through a day with a smile while feeling like complete and utter crud. If I made it through so many days hungover, I could certainly do a few more weeks or feeling anxious. You can too.

I was really thankful that I still had a job. I like thinking that I wouldn't have to fake it anymore. I would just "be."

You can do this and keep us updated!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Going to work while detoxing sucks. There's no other way to put it.

I have a very sedentary job, so it's not AS bad, but it's no fun.

Day 3 is always the worst for me. I had emotional issues pretty bad. With that said, it's better than sitting at home with your mind racing and stuff.