Notices

5 yrs clean 4yrs in recovery

Old 08-27-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 yrs clean 4yrs in recovery

Hello people like me , I am a little over 5yrs now , but still can't get out of my own head any advice
Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, and congrats on your sober time!

As for getting out of my head, well, I like to kayak, read, volunteer, and spend time with my husband, dog and cats. Meditation works too. Although, I'm not really sure if we ever get out of our own heads But I know what you're getting at. Sorry, no real wisdom to offer you there.

Find some things that interest you, some hobbies maybe, and be around other people if that helps. Volunteering is a great way to do this.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Hey Hurricane123,

I agree with SoberJennie. Get out of your head by focusing on someone/something else you're really fond of, i.e., family, friend(s), significant other, pets.

Also - meditating. More often than not, when I meditate, I'm no longer where I was or who I am. It's hard to describe, but I feel like I'm part of something much larger and more significant than me. Downside, it takes a lot of practice. But once you've mastered deep meditation in private, you'll likely be able to covertly meditate in public and these mini/public meditations can slow you down, relax you, just enough to take the edge off. What the heck, it's free to try. I took my first lesson at my public library and it was free. They didn't even ask for donations and they gave all the student meditation beads.

Good luck,

Resolv
Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job. Welcome. Post and read. That helps me.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on your recovery time!!

To get out of my head, I read a lot on SR. I find out it doesn't really matter what the substance is that is/was abused, we all have a lot in common.

I also did some volunteer work (after reading how great it is for getting out of our head for years) and it really did work. Even led my unemployed self to a new job.

I have over 7 years in recovery, double winner (addiction and codependency) and can still get lost in my head when times are tough. I read here, I make a gratitude list (It took me a while to get that, and now it's invaluable) and I keep putting one right foot in front of the other.

Glad you have joined us!! We are like a really big family here

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really great post so honest well done