Notices

That moment...

Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That moment...

You might well be familiar with that moment…the one where you have been clean/sober for a period of time and yet you somehow find yourself with a drink or drug of choice in your hand? Yeah, well that.

Last night after a month of being sober, after reading the rational recovery book, after feeling more confident then ever about my continued sobriety, after joining the gym and exercising, after feeling my long-term depression beginning to lift, after noticing my addictive voice [the beast] beginning to go quiet…..I took some opiate based pain killers from my wife’s supply. Then I took them upstairs to the bathroom, locked the door and spent ages staring at them, fighting an internal battle about whether to ‘treat myself’. About whether to ‘just have a few’. About ‘why am I even being clean, I could drop dead tomorrow’, and on and on and on. A true internal war of wants and needs and denials and what could be’s and what ifs. I looked at the tablets and they looked back at me. Shiny silver wrapped opiate bliss. Guaranteed.

Eventually, without any conscious decision that I am aware of or can remember, I saw my hand flush the toilet, then I left the bathroom without taking the tablets and put them back where they belong. I was --->this<--- close to wasting all of my hard work and I’m not entirely sure why. I’m not even entirely sure how I did not take them. I’m not even sure what the purpose of this post is, as such. Guess I just wanted to share the experience and ask for any feedback.

Hope you are all well and life is being kind to you.

Thank you.

Cheers, FC.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on pushing through FC!!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on making that decision FC. Well done!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's a cool story - it's like your new self saved you from your old self. Pretty inspiring
Old 08-26-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

WOW that was close and you pulled through hang in there just keep on posting your experience its invaluable to others as much as yourself

Just keep on keeping on
Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome! Having done that NOT SO simple act will just add to the foundation you are building for yourself! And.....I love your username! Totally
Made
Me smile!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I've been on both sides of that "moment" where on one side you are able to resist, and on the other, where you can't.

Good that you could, this time.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
That experience of what RR describes as "vertigo" would be a good opportunity to reread that section of the book, as well as the sections on identifying and dismissing AV.

Good job, cluster.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Strong man. Willpower of steel!
Old 08-26-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Man FC, anything you can do to avoid these temptations in the future? That one would have scared me pretty bad.

Maybe ask your wife to hide the pills? I dunno what else, but having the temptation around might still be a bit too much for you.

Best wishes...
Old 08-26-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very good. You surprised me in the end. I thought we were heading down the relapse path type of outcome. Good job and remember moments like that deserve a big emotional flex of "up yours" to opiates, alcohol, etc.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Big congratulations on your entire sober month, FC! I often had big AV moments close to significant milestones the first two times i tried to quit, and, unfortunately, I succumbed and it was. not. worth. it.

I have been bailed out serendipitously like that before, through no merit of my own--like you, i almost could not remember the moment of deliverance; i just mechanically ended up doing the right thing somehow and left scratching my head.

I attribute it to the intervention of a higher power--because it certainly makes no sense.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You fought through it. You'll come out stronger for it. Good Job!
Old 08-26-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FusterCluck View Post
Eventually, without any conscious decision that I am aware of or can remember, I saw my hand flush the toilet, then I left the bathroom without taking the tablets and put them back where they belong.
Nice.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
quat

Results are what counts , great job on staying on the not side of the fence. But the post was scary to read.
That AV is promising treats for a job well done, guaranteed, but you do notice the ultimate selling point is based on whether or not you will be around tomorrow. So in that sense it is getting desperate, the rationale at least acknowledges that one side of the coin of going back or not is equatable to nonexistence. Intellectually I bet , you realize a one time respite would be nothing more than possibly opening up the flood gates, right? Squash that stupid voice before you open the drawer , not to diminish at all what happened in the bathroom, you got this.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Fuster, you ignorant cluck.

Had you not been absent from here for a while you would haven't even thought about that choice. Missed you, clown. Don't let that happen often, ok?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great job!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have had so of those moments only I make the wrong decision every time.

Good job on making the right one.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow, great job!! Inspiring, thanks for posting
Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Awesome job. This is what I believe. Even though what you went through is totally scary, i think what you were able to do at the end will make you that much stronger. It will be less scary and easier to do what you did. You should choose to believe that.

pakman