Notices

Alcoholic neuropathy what kind of pain ??

Old 08-26-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic neuropathy what kind of pain ??

I have been posting recently about trying to get a diagnosis for the absolutely excruciating pains in my feet which my doctor suggests is due to alcoholic neuropathy. I have cut down ALOT on my drinking over the last year and stopped completely from August - December 2013. It has crept up until now but nothing like previous levels and I have been dry for 10 days. However, I feel the pain is getting worse not better. It is truly, mind blowingly excruciating pain in my feet - I have sharp electrical pains and the tingling in my toes is is strong I feel they are going to explode ! When other folks on SR have kindly told me of their experience of neuropathy I get the impression that the pains they describe are less severe and not so agonising.
I have been given Gabapentin which helps a bit (until it wears off ) and am due to see a neurologist tomorrow.
If anyone has had alcoholic neuropathy , could you please describe the exact nature of the pain or sensations you experienced.
Thanks
S x
Old 08-26-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You've asked this same question many times Icandothis. We are not neurologists, and even if we were we couldn't offer you a diagnosis as it's against the forum rules. It's understandable that you are worried, and it's great that you are seeing a neurologist tomorrow.

I can say that many of my symptoms related to drinking improved vastly over time, both physical and psychologial - hopefully that can be the same for you.

Hopefully you can also see this as a sign as well that "cutting back" is not a solution that will work - absolute abstinance is the only possibly way. 10 Days is great, please make sure to be very honest with the doctor about how much and how often you have been drinking to get full diagnosis. Hang in there!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Scott - i am not asking for a diagnosis - just to compare the type of pain those with clinically diagnosed AN experienced with what I am experiencing - I hope that's Ok.
Thanks for your understanding !
Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best thing you can do is to talk to your dr and get his medical advice on how to best treat the issue, if it will improve, etc.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Might be time to assess your drinking, if your Dr says it's alcohol related!!
Old 08-30-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Icandothis- I tried to respond to your private message to me but it says you have exceeded your inbox limit
Old 08-31-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there, I tried to write as well. Did you get any concrete answers from the neurologist??
Old 08-31-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Could it be Plantar fasciitis?
Old 08-31-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks MsJax .. I have unblocked the message box. Could you please kindly resend?
Old 08-31-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

If you aren't numbing yourself with alcohol, you will feel things differently. In time, it will ease up.

Keep working with your doctor and stay stopped!
Old 08-31-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would call my doc and make an apt