Notices

Itching, spots and rib pain?

Old 08-25-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Itching, spots and rib pain?

Hey all!

So I've noticed since about mid last week I had some pain around my ribs, both sides that then seemed to settle mostly on the right. I figured it could have been my kidneys at first (as my period was fast approaching) but I suspect now it may be my liver trying to sort itself out.

Been to the doctor and awaiting blood test results but I suspect my liver will be a little elevated. Has anyone else a few weeks out from quitting experienced itching around their right side (and a sort of general itching now and then in different parts) and had red spots (sort of like bug bites) appear?

They seem to get red, then fade pretty quickly. I'm operating under the assumption my body is trying to rid itself of toxins. The pain has mostly faded now but my ribs do still feel a little tender. Other than that though I don't feel unwell at all.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

JC,

Yes, I had the pain in my right side right at the bottom of the rib cage, on the upper middle/right of the right part of the ribcage, as well as occasional pains on the left side of the ribcage, and pains in the middle of my back. On my last day of drinking I had shooting pains in my back and could barely sit up. That was on June 27th and that was my first day sober. I've been sober ever since. I used to wake up in the middle of the night in a terror about the pains. Would my liver fail? Could it be pancreatitis? Possibly kidney failure? Maybe cancer?

The absolute terror I felt about the pains is indescribable in words. I thought daily or my death. Would it be in a hospital or at home? Would I qualify for a transplant? What would my funeral look like? Would my facebook wall turn into a memorial wall?

Oh, the horrors of drinking.

On a lighter note, I am on day 60 and all the pains are gone. Well, maybe very slight ones still on the lower right side. Take away the alcohol and poof! The pains are gone. Imagine that? I drank every single day (maybe minus about five a year for eight years. Half liter of vodka a night. Rarely less, rarely more.

Stop drinking now and your health improves!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im a male but i have had these pains. They were on both sides. Thought they were spleen and liver. An itching slight burning. Right under the ribs.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply, Melinda! It's very comforting to hear from others and know you're not the only one going through these bumps on the road. I admit to definitely being terrified of the pains!

Mostly because there's a shame attached for me (how did I get here, what have I done to my body, etc). My weapon of choice was always the wine but definitely no more.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonymblue View Post
Im a male but i have had these pains. They were on both sides. Thought they were spleen and liver. An itching slight burning. Right under the ribs.
Tony, had one night with a bit of burning but was so anxious I wasn't sure if it was just my stomach tying itself in knots! I'm hoping that the rib tenderness will fade with some time.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As Melinda said, take away the booze and the pain fades. I had the liver pain. But after a week it was barely noticeable. I'm very happy about that. A month in, no pain at all. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was also ashamed. How did I let myself get to this point? What have I done? I thought of all the people in hospitals fighting for their lives who never actively damaged themselves with a toxic substance. And for what? A freakin' buzz?

I always heard that to find out what is causing an ailment you need to remove the possible causes. Well, remove alcohol, right? It took me a year after I really knew I was damaging myself to stop. Even sitting here now I hope I didn't stop too late.

I wanted to find a solution, any solution, other than taking away my beloved booze every night. I would have eaten a box of baking soda every day if I thought it would have made the pains go away and allow me to continue drinking. I wanted to stop but didn't know how.

Well, the pains and torture got the point where I did stop. I was given the gift of desperation and said no more. I looked at the people on here who drank just like I did but now had a year, five years, heck, even 20 years of sobriety. What was their secret? I didn't think that would ever be me. I wondered if I would be one of those that just drinks themselves to death.

What it has taken for me is a daily commitment, just for today, and holding SR close. I check in every day to remind myself why I stopped and why I can't just drink once a month or once a year. I can't drink anymore, at all, ever.

We need a healthy body to live a happy life. My worst day in the past 58 days has been better than my best day hungover. And oh boy, I was hung over every day to some degree.

JC: I just say the 1983 in your username. We're the same age! A great age to stop.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I was also ashamed. How did I let myself get to this point? What have I done? I thought of all the people in hospitals fighting for their lives who never actively damaged themselves with a toxic substance. And for what? A freakin' buzz?

I always heard that to find out what is causing an ailment you need to remove the possible causes. Well, remove alcohol, right? It took me a year after I really knew I was damaging myself to stop. Even sitting here now I hope I didn't stop too late.

I wanted to find a solution, any solution, other than taking away my beloved booze every night. I would have eaten a box of baking soda every day if I thought it would have made the pains go away and allow me to continue drinking. I wanted to stop but didn't know how.

Well, the pains and torture got the point where I did stop. I was given the gift of desperation and said no more. I looked at the people on here who drank just like I did but now had a year, five years, heck, even 20 years of sobriety. What was their secret? I didn't think that would ever be me. I wondered if I would be one of those that just drinks themselves to death.

What it has taken for me is a daily commitment, just for today, and holding SR close. I check in every day to remind myself why I stopped and why I can't just drink once a month or once a year. I can't drink anymore, at all, ever.

We need a healthy body to live a happy life. My worst day in the past 58 days has been better than my best day hungover. And oh boy, I was hung over every day to some degree.

JC: I just say the 1983 in your username. We're the same age! A great age to stop.
Nice to meet another 80's child!

Yes, I drank due to depression for a few years, never anything harder than wine but its enough regardless to do the damage. I quit altogether at the start of the month but I think its going to take a while for the body to get it together.

I don't regret quitting however, I actually feel much clearer in the head despite aches and pains than I ever have.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've had discomfort on the right side right at the bottom of my rib cage also. On and off during last few years. No itching. No discomfort at the moment 8 days into sobriety. fingers crossed. Why are us alcoholics afraid to see a doctor? Is it because we know there is something seriously wrong and we are afraid to find out? I haven't been to a doctor in 5 years. I do have an appointment in about 4 weeks.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pakman:

It's funny what you said about being afraid of going to the doctor. I avoided it at all costs. I used to even wonder about if I were in car accident or had to go to the hospital for some unrelated reason. I wasn't scared about broken bones but rather that they would do bloodwork! I also used to wonder if I would end up in the hospital for pancreas problems or something. Then, surely everyone would find out my secret. I am looking forward to going to the doctor after some serious sober time.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Pakman - Yep, I was scared to see the doctor but I was honest with her and said I'd quit drinking and I was pretty sure that the blood tests would yield some results. I feel better having been to see her however, I think its a bit like walking into the proverbial Principal's Office when you get caught doing something naughty.

Only really its your body that's going to do the punishing, haha.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds familiar, your results should give you the facts on the situation!!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I was on my first big quit, I had itching all over my torso from about day 3-day 10. I hope that helps.