Notices

Trying to not feel quilty

Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to not feel quilty

I am feeling terribly guilty about all of the drinking I've done and how much I have probably hurt my body and my life. All that time I could have spent doing healthier better things. I drank daily. For a LONG time. And I feel terrible about it. Is this normal?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the guilt is one thing that cripples me after drinking, to the point that I feel so guilty about drinking that I would drink to feel better about it.

I don't know if it's normal or not, but I do know that you're not alone in the feeling.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think the guilt is a common thing for everyone that struggled or still is with Alcohol.

There is no logic with addiction, we know it's killing us, yet struggle to remove the poison from the equation. I strongly now believe that this decease has a mental illness behind it.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it's normal. I feel terribly guilty. At times it becomes overwhelming. At some point I think we need to forgive ourselves so, we can move on with our lives.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes it is. I would have panic attacks about what I have done to my insides. I have also drank for years on a daily basis.

But all I can do now is to give my body the rest it deserves...and try this time to stay sober for good
Old 08-25-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very normal, I looked back a lot, all the stupid things I did, time wasted, money wasted, the list goes on!!

At some point though we have to draw a line and say to ourselves, if we do everything in our power not to go back to that place, but move forward and write a new chapter to our lives, then that will be the positive to come out of the past!!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i lived with the guilt of all i did wrong to all my loved ones and others, i simply hated myself as i never honestly meant to hurt a fly yet over and over i kept getting into trouble time and time again with the booze

thankfully my present is nothng like my past as i dont drink and i do live a life today where i dont try to do things wrong anymore in fact i try to show my loved ones real love today
either way my kids love there sober dad as he isnt a bad man but they do not like the drunk dad they had
funny how soon loved ones forgive us and how long it take us to forgive ourselves
Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Feeling guilty is normal I have felt guilt about this so have most of us

I also drank daily so i can relate but again so did most if not all of us

I truly believe this is the start of something read the forum I guarentee you will relate to a lot of the things i have also postsd my blogs for others to read and share back with me its key to my recovery

Posting this took big guts and it is definatly a move in the right direction

You can do this and in time wonder why you drank in the first place

My life is 110% better because I stopped drinking and so can yours read my blogs and other ppl blogs

It is all stories you will relate to

Give it time give yourself a chance at happiness it can be done I am proof
Old 08-25-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

If someone drank daily for a LONG time and didn't feel guilty about it, that would be disturbing.

The key for those of us pursuing sober lives is to not become paralyzed with guilt. Regrets are only unhealthy if they prevent progress. I never want to forget what a lousy person alcohol made me - it makes me want to work harder to never be that guy again.

You can do this.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Turn a negative into a positive and use those guilt feelings as fuel for your sobriety. There's nothing you can do about the past just learn from it. Realize that you never want to feel like that again. It's in your hands.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by newstart85 View Post
the guilt is one thing that cripples me after drinking, to the point that I feel so guilty about drinking that I would drink to feel better about it.

I don't know if it's normal or not, but I do know that you're not alone in the feeling.
I did exactly the same. You have to break the cycle x