Notices

7 Days Sober

Old 08-25-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 Days Sober

Today marks my 7th Day Sober. I know that this is just the beginning, but for me it is a Huge Step. A little about me. I started Drinking in the 5th Grade. I am the son of Alcoholic Parents. My Parents drank from Sun up till Sun down. One Day as a kid I wanted to be like my Dad. I stole some of his Beer and Drank it. I thought I was cool. Since that Day it Manifested into a Monster. During my Junior High and School Days I would Drink a Bottle of cheap wine while walking to School. I was a Pro at masking the smell, with Cologne and Candy. No one was the wiser. Once in College I went from steady Drinking to Binge Drinking. I wasn't Drinking everyday however, I was Drinking more. Now into my Adulthood. I found myself not Drinking as much when I started my own Family. I still Drank everyday though.

Now lets fast forward until present Day. I am 42 now, and over the last year I have been Drinking Heavy. When I say Heavy its been from Sun up till Sun Down. Yep, I turned into my Parents. Well 7 Days ago I looked at this Drunk man in the Mirror and told him he has to get out. I researched everything I could about Alcohol withdrawal. I had two choices go to the Hospital or go Cold Turkey. I decided to go Cold Turkey. I called my favorite Drinking Buddy, who happens to be my Brother in Law. He is also a Alcoholic.

He decided to quit also. The difference between us is he checked into a Hospital and I locked myself in a room at Home. He went the smart way, I had different thoughts. I wanted to suffer through all the pain withdrawals had or will have. I will spare the details of what I went through as I don't want to discourage any from quitting. I will share a little about what my Brother in Law went through. I went and visited him on the second day at the Hospital. I thought it would be your standard how you doing visit. Instead I was confronted by my grieving Sister and my Nephews telling me thanks to all of our partying my Brother in Law Flat Lined in the ICU Department last night. Thank God, he was at The Hospital because he made it.

I left the Hospital scared to Death for him and me. Over the last week, I went through Hell. Both Mentally and Physically. On Day 5 I felt different. It is like I am a new person. I guess the point that I am trying to get across with this long post is this.

If you are reading this and are wanting to quit, please don't be me. Check yourself into a Hospital. The risk is to great to flip a Coin with your life. My Brother in Law and I both got lucky. Alcohol withdrawals are very selective, you can rough it out at Home or at a Hospital. However, what you wont know is the affects, mild or severe until you stop drinking. Please don't take the chance. Life is to Short. Thank you for your time, and here's to Sober Living..
Old 08-25-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
That's a pretty harrowing story. I, too, hope it helps a newcomer of what awaits them.
I also drank like you. On the way to school evolving into adult and an every day drinker.
I went through withdrawal a few times when I tried to quit. It was a terrifying experience.
I'm glad you and your brother in law made and thanks for sharing your story.
Congratulations on seven days, and remember, you never have to go back to your old ways.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

7 Days is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great work. I'm so happy for you and really, really proud and touched by the fact that you called your brother-in-law and he quit with you. You will both be of great support to one another. So thankful to read that h was safe in the hospital. Very scary stuff indeed. A reminder to quit safely, but there is always a way and services available to people like us. Thanks for posting and best of luck!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on seven days. That's absolutely incredible
Old 08-25-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I done it alone in a room cold turkey really relate to that

That has to be post of the week/month I feel so I don't even know what to say I'm breathless right now

Tears in my eyes iI know how much this means to you WOW

Old 08-25-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on 7 days! I did the cold turkey route as well after heavy daily drinking.

Glad you shared you and your Brother-In-Law's experiences with the group.

Good job!
Old 08-25-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great work!! Keep it up
Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, that was a powerful post. Glad you made it through okay and congratulations on 7 days! Keep going, one day at a time.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you for being honest and sharing, its all about healing now this touched me also
Old 08-25-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi slamr. Thank you so much for your post, which will help many I'm sure.

I'm so glad you have 7 days sober. You will feel so much better and more hopeful as you continue on with your new life. Glad you are here!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep up the great work!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, slamr, to SR and congratulations on 7 days. Hope both you and your BIL continue to do well.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congratulations on 7 days x
Old 08-26-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing and well done!