Notices

I'm a recovering alcoholic, but my husband still drinks.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm a recovering alcoholic, but my husband still drinks.

I've been sober over 5 years - but my husband still drinks heavily. He rarely spends an evening sober, and all of our social outings revolve around alcohol - and he is PLOWED at almost all of them. He claims he's not an alcoholic, yet won't go to a movie or to other places he can't drink. He says he cares about me, but isn't it extremely insensitive to act this way around your recovering spouse? Are there other spouses out there that have the same struggle?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Your sobriety is yours and shouldn't be dependant on anyone else, a spouse may drink and they are free to do so, expecting him to quit also would be unreasonable, though saying that he should still be considerate about your sobriety!!

5 years is fantastic, you must be doing something right!!
Old 08-24-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You've been sober a long time. Tell me, is it just now it bothers you after five years?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Hi Gratefulgourmet

I have been sober for 2 years , my hubby drinks heavily daily. The more sober time I have the more issues I see in our marriage. I struggle with the resentment I hold towards him drinking (the time and money he spends) AND I resent his behaviour he displays at times when he drinks. I won't bore you with my list of all his behaviours i resent.

I resent the lack of intimacy in our marriage (at least 3 years). At times I am repulsed by him physically when he has been drinking.

Occasionally the AV chats at me , as there is always alcohol in my house and he ALWAYS falls asleep on the lounge leaving half a glass of wine (my old drink). In early sobriety I had to tip it down the sink when the AV started , now I only do if I am being spiteful.

I just wanted to let you know , you are not alone.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 5 years of recovery.

I would not be happy if all our social activities revolved around alcohol. That wouldn't work for me. Have you talked to your husband about your feelings?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Grateful,
I have been sober a year and my husband's drinking bothers me. I have made my sobriety about me, and his drinking will not influence me to drink because I I like being sober and I see how unattractive drinking is. But I do resent that he drinks to excess on a regular basis and claims there isn't a problem. Nope, you are not alone.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In a perfect world, significant others would be respectful of our Sobriety. But, this ain't a perfect world. Take care of yourself.

Bunnez
Old 08-24-2014, 11:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I was a child of this environment and I hated my dad for it

My dad would drink in another room my my. The alcoholic used to buy it for him

I know !!!!!!!

I broke his legs once and they had to rrun build them with titanium there's a lot more that I'm not going into here

I hated him for that and now my mum is dead she died sober and was so for over 10 years

Can't stand ppl drinking around someone is getting sober say what u want it's wrong in my eyes

Even worse when they get the alcoholic to get it for them
Old 08-25-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

My drinking partner was quite detrimental to my sobriety so we separated. (well decided not to live together) He has sober time and I see him then and we get along famously, but I am lucky because if he's sloshed, I have my own home and can avoid him under those circumstances. I hope you can work it out xxx