Notices

Old 08-24-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am new to this site. I joined because I am looking for help and support. I've been struggling with binge drinking for quite sometime, about 4 years. I had gastric bypass in September of 2009, which I think contributes to my inability to drink responsibly. When I drink I can't seem to stop. I don't remember anything when I binge drink. The issue came about after the unexpected passing of my 24 yr old step daughter in October of 2010. My husband and I began going out more. At first it was an every weekend occurrence. Now it's been occurring about once a month, which is still too much. I've been trying to control things, but keep messing up. Then I feel guilty, make a commitment not to drink anymore but then end up getting confidant and the cycle starts again. I am so embarrassed that I am struggling like this. I am hoping joining this site help me understand and will provide support to help me make a permanent change.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome rah.
Come and join us in the august class thread. There are many of us who are trying to quit.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum rah!!

I went round in circles too for a long time, what I realised though was my relationship with alcohol was never going to change no matter how long I didn't drink for, the results were always going to be the same, so the answer I concluded was to cut alcohol out altogether, not have that 1st drink to finally get off that merry go round!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 08-24-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome rah! You are among friends who want to help. Glad you reached out.

I always thought drinking was the answer to all my uncomfortable feelings. Getting numb seemed like a nice escape, but it just made me more miserable. You can kick it out of your life - you don't need it. Good to have you with us.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome

I think there are others here who have experience of gastric banding type procedures and drink problems who might come help and offer advice.

I think there is some documented clinical information that can be found in medical arena's if you look for it.

I;m sorry for the circumstances that brought you here, but there is a lot of wisdom, understanding and knowledge here at SR.

Wishing you the best xx
Old 08-25-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for welcoming me so kindly! I have been reading various posts on the site. I have felt so alone and isolated because I have felt like I couldn't talk to anyone about this. This site makes me feel like I am not alone.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are not alone Rah. We are here to encourage and draw strength from each other. Welcome!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there Rah! I also had a gastric bypass in 2008 and like you started binge drinking. I never cared for alcohol pre-op. In fact it bored me as I didn't seem to get a buzz with the amounts I drank and I didn't care for the taste of alcoholic drinks.

This all changed once I had my first glass of wine post op... Bam! The buzz hit me on the first glass and I was hooked with the feeling. It started as an special occasion binge (trips, parties, holidays, etc), then a weekend binge (loved Fridays ), then every other day to an everyday thing.

I got up to almost 2 bottles a night!

Life was miserable and I couldn't stand who I had become. Luckily I found SR. Here I also learned that seeing a doctor was important if not fundamental to sobriety. I talked to my GP who referred me to a psych.

Best thing I ever done! Reality is that I have always bebe an addict of some kind. First I was a heavy smoker for 15 years. Quit cigarets and replaced it with food. Hence the need for the gastric bypass. Alcohol was again a cross addiction.

I heard about this possibility when I had the require psych evaluation pre op. However I wanted to loose the weight so bad that I really didn't pay much attention to that part of the training.

There is also the physical aspects of becoming an alcoholic post op. We do metabolize alcohol faster and intensely. That has been a lot of talk in the medical literature about this danger.

With all said, I would have had weight loss surgery all over again. Overall I am healthier and better looking (yep, I am a bit vain) than ever before. However Id have researched more and had a gastric sleeve instead of a bypass. However in 2008 a bypass was the gold standard and the sleeve a relatively new surgery.

Most of all I'd have given more attention to my mental health issues that were the root of all my addictions. After my recent consult with a psych I was diagnosed bipolar II. Apparently I was "self-medicating" all this time with cigarets, food and lately, alcohol.

I'm now on the right meds and living one day at the time and I'm finally great.

I'm glad you found SR. You will find amazing resources and support here. It is wonderful that you are taking action now. Alcoholism is progressive and it only gets worse quickly.

If you need, private message me. Welcome to SR.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Rah!

I'm only a few weeks into sobriety myself so I know how hard it seems when you're looking at it from the other side. You'll most definitely find a lot of information and support here! I find the forum a great comfort when I'm anxious or worried.