Sleep. Or lack thereof.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Sleep. Or lack thereof.

Does anyone else struggle with sleep? I feel like I'm ever vigilant about keeping an ear out for noises (AM falling out of bed or coming to my room to ream me out at all hours of the night), even though I've been out if that environment for years. I haven't gotten a decent night's sleep since I was 11 or 12. I'm still up tonight because my brain won't shut off. If you struggle with sleep, what do you do to try to make it better? I won't take anything stronger than benadryl because I'd rather just take the risk mitigation approach and be safe. Natural solutions have never worked, and neither did guided meditation. I would still be wide awake at the end of each session. How do you handle sleepless nights? Please share!
Old 08-24-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I take melatonin occasionally, Nwgrits.

drinking a hot cup of milk and reading in bed will put me out too.
hope you find something to help you.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I wish melatonin worked for me. I hear all these great things, but I don't get any results. Milk might work if I wasn't completely intolerant of dairy. I dunno. My doctor didn't believe that I haven't slept well in 19-ish years, but it's true. It takes at least an hour for me to fall asleep, but usually closer to two. And then I wake up 4-5 times a night. I could nap all day if I were allowed to, though.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh Grits I hate insomnia. My anti depressant gives me terrible insomnia. If you can handle cheese try a little cheese and a few crackers 30 minutes before bed. I have johnson and johnsons relaxing baby powder. Or some silly name like that. It has lavender and chamomile in it and I put some on my neck and chest when I get dressed for bed. Its smells nice and relaxing.
Have you tried writing before bed. Try spending a few.minutes writing down what you want to remember for the next day and anything thats been on your mind. If its written down you can let it go. Also maybe write down reminders to yourself like
You are a grownup now, you are safe, no one can bother you or hurt you when your sleeping. You are in your home and you are in charge. You dont always need to be on alert.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

* raises hand *

Melatonin gives me nightmares, warm milk does nothing. Benadryl works, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life on meds.

What works for me is I went and got some "night lights" when they were on sale, I have one in _every_ room so it is never totally dark. At bedtime I go around the place and check every window and every door to make sure it is locked. I "turn off" my head and focus on the rooms being empty, on the house being empty, try to memorize what I am seeing as if I had some kind of video camera in my head.

When I get in bed I "replay" the empty rooms, the locked doors, the silence of the place. Usually by the third "replay" I fall asleep.

Took me awhile to be able to sleep well, did not happen the first time, but with practice it did come.

Mike
Old 08-24-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

NWGrits,

I just flow with it. I'm up an hour or two most nights. Not panicking about it is the best thing for me. I watch Nature, Morgan Freemans science show, read, read on SR, or if I am really awake I might do laundry.

Would your insurance pay for a sleep clinic eval?
Old 08-25-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

We have Tricare, so they'll pay for just about anything. My daughter's therapist believes it's probably a trait of my Aspergers, and to talk to my regular doctor. Regular doc has suggested adjusting my antidepressant and adding something like Lunesta. I'd prefer a more holistic approach. If I circumvented my anxiety attacks with self-coping statements, then something similar should work for sleep. You'd think, anyway. I've done guided meditation and failed spectacularly. I never once got to sleep during a session. I'm too fidgety.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The 12 Steps.
Then once at steps 10-12 we can write stuff out in step 10 (it has to come out.)
Step 11 prayer on knees then quiet time meditation on butt (the BEST)
And not being alone in life. We need at least 1 or 2 trusted people with real solid heart recovery to walk this path with us, at least for some time.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have had long bouts of insomnia over the last 10 years. Melatonin sometimes works. There are times I suspect it's being on the computer too late, and too long, that brings it on. Sometimes, it's agitation over various things going on.

I try to just accept that I'm not going to sleep that night. I pray, get up, read a book, try to do something productive, or something I enjoy, if it becomes obvious (oh, around 2, 3 am) that I'm not going to sleep.

I'm making sure I don't have caffeine after 1 or 2 pm, and to get out for more walks, in the hopes of keeping better balanced and able to sleep.